PDA

View Full Version : What is a good photo program

proscape lawncare
07-22-2009, 09:42 AM
We have just updated our computers and I no longer have the photo program that I used.
I need to get a new one and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations.
I need the program that will do the following

*download form digital camera
*be able to print photos
*easily sort and organize photos
* add text to photos
*simple editing would be nice
*Email photos (re-size them so the file isn't't to large for email)
*Easy to use (I'm not a computer wiz)
Any suggestions would be helpful I am running out of memory cards and have a ton of photos to download from camera cards that I have been putting off so I file them right the first time on the new computer system.
I already have to refile and sort the photos from the the old computers and just want to do it right and only once.

Thank you for your input

Dan

Humble Earth Mover
07-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Two good free programs -

Gimp - www.gimp.org
Irfanview - www.irfanview.com

I use Irfanview all the time for quick resizing and cropping. It has some settings for brightness and contrast...but it's not really a photoeditor. I will open and read like 50 different file types, including .dwg.

Gimp is like a free version of photoshop and works with similar filters and layers.

Both programs give you a lot for zero money.

Not sure if you can directly download from a digital camera though. Windows should handle that automatically.

hackalot
07-22-2009, 12:31 PM
I would suggest Adobe Photoshop elements, fairly easy to use and one of the leaders in photo software.

Inspira
07-24-2009, 05:31 PM
I second Photoshop Elements. Though if you have Office, the Microsoft Office Picture Manager doesn't do too bad of a job either.

ConstSvcs
07-25-2009, 07:41 AM
I third the Photoshop Elements, easy to use, perfect for the casual or amateur photog.

JoeyD
07-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Photoshop Elements is awesome! Some people dont know this but www.Photobucket.com actually allows you to do a lot of what you want to do. Its pretty cool. You should try the photobucket editor before spending any money. Although those links posted in the first response seem worthwhile.

Wallman
07-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Another vote for Photoshop Elements. I do photo restoration as a sideline on a Mac with the full version photoshop, but many people give me photos on PC based media and I use a PC laptop with "Elements" to convert and resize the images.