PDA

View Full Version : Mulch Magic

PSMAN
07-22-2009, 09:46 AM
How do you apply Mulch Magic? I have a gas powered backpack sprayer and it damages the seals in a very short amount of time. Tried different sprayer brands with the same reults.

Think Green
07-26-2009, 08:41 PM
PSMAN,
I used mulch magic years ago on faded hardwood mulch.
I used a 4 gallon backpack sprayer that was manual.
I don't remember any results of damage associated with using the stuff. I always washed the sprayer out after usage. I don't recall any type of varnish being used in the dye's but all sprayers need to be cleaned after usage of these types of dye's and lawn paints.
Which seals are you referring too?

PSMAN
07-27-2009, 08:26 AM
The seals in the internal pump are failing. This happened first use so there was no time for cleaning. The difference is that a manual sprayer pumps pressure into the tank and the material does not go through the pump, just the wand and nozzle. The gas power units uses an impellor to pressurize the material and the pump seals are exposed to the cemical.

Think Green
07-27-2009, 11:55 PM
PSMAN,
Have you contacted the maker of mulch magic to inquire about the problem?
The many times that we used the stuff, it did have a varnic odor and I believe it could cause your seal failure..............as I understand the inner workings of diaphram and piston pumps!! I never applied this stuff through your type of machine. The label should direct you on how to apply their product. The label from back in the early 90's, from Becker Underwood, required the use through a gallon sprayer, handheld or backpack.???
My other sprayers are equipped with Viton seals and gaskets, so I wouldn't want to use this stuff again if it causes these seals to fail. My general use sprayers, are equipped with the common rubber seals. I can see it eating through these petrolium based cheap seals. But it never did to my other one's//