PDA

View Full Version : Customer Complaints after completed Job

mbarcel
07-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Ok so I recently completed a small planting job for a clients backyard, and she was very satisfied at the end of the day and payed the bill in full. A few days later, I get a call saying that she wants me to replace a few of the transplanted sedums and an astible that looked wilted. Does this happen alot? Is it my fault for not specifying in the contract that I would not guarantee the plants? I know the owner of the nursery and it won't be a problem to replace the plants but it is still a few hours of wasted work with the travel.

Stillwater
07-22-2009, 10:17 PM
It does happen, inspect the plants, if they look like crap get right on it replace them you should want to... your work is your business card.

Florida Gardener
07-22-2009, 10:48 PM
my poilicy when it comes to installs is this:
NO WARRANTY on any transplants.
New plants-90 days.

Did she water the plants especially the transplanted one's??

Isobel
07-23-2009, 02:58 PM
it is your fault for not specifying the warranty terms. people expect a warranty.

Personally I only warranty the plants that I buy. With transplants I always make sure the client understands that there is no guarantee the plants will survive.

mbarcel
07-23-2009, 05:03 PM
No warranty was established in the terms... I went by today to replace the astilbe and it looked as if the plants had been suffering from too much water. Alot of rain this past week, probably overwatering, plus clay soil. The leaves were yellowish... would this have been my responcibility under a typical warranty?

punt66
07-23-2009, 05:14 PM
No warranty was established in the terms... I went by today to replace the astilbe and it looked as if the plants had been suffering from too much water. Alot of rain this past week, probably overwatering, plus clay soil. The leaves were yellowish... would this have been my responcibility under a typical warranty?

hello neighbor.........

MudslinginFX4
07-23-2009, 06:22 PM

they weren't just going through transplant shock?

david shumaker
07-23-2009, 08:19 PM
I tell people that transplants may not live. I buy my small shrubs at Lowes because they have a 1 year warranty.

topsites
07-23-2009, 08:33 PM
I think it's part of the cost of doing business, but you have to decide what kind of business you run,
I usually do guarantee my work although again that's part of the cost.

I tell people that transplants may not live. I buy my small shrubs at Lowes because they have a 1 year warranty.

And if they do fuxors up they're a whole lot cheaper to replace :p

Isobel
07-23-2009, 08:38 PM

IMO no. as long as you discussed plant care with the client.

Florida Gardener
07-23-2009, 08:45 PM
yea,but lowes doesnt give you wholesale prices....
i buy everything at the nursery and if a plant goes bad w/in 90 days, i replace at no cost. I would much rather do that and make a lot more money on the materials then buy at home depot or lowes "in case" a small shrub doesnt make it. heck, most of our 3-gal shrubs down here are $4-6 WS.....

Whitey4
07-23-2009, 09:03 PM
I buy from only very top shelf wholesale nurseries. Customers get 2 prices. No gaurantee, and gauranteed. For a large scale planting, I take my cost for EVERY plant, add 20% (sevice and labor) and that is how much the insurance policy will cost the customer. (I don't ever tell them what my cost is, just give them this number)

I also explain, up front, that new planting failures are due to improper irrigation well over 90% of the time. Plant junipers who hate wet feet next to water hungry arborvitaes and one of those plants is sure to fail. In this latter case, it would be the fault of the designer, planting two plants with very different water needs next to each other. The sprinkler sytem also has to be set to supply the right amount of water to the right zones, so plants with different water needs get what they need, not what the irrigation guy set the zone to.

Most people opt for no gaurantee, and because of that, actually follow my irrigation instructions. I will also replace a failed plant at my cost plus 20% IF I know they followed my irrigation schedule.

Transplants never get any gaurantee at all. I've never lost a transplant, but I know as soon as I even thought about a gaurantee, one would fail!

Florida Gardener
07-23-2009, 09:38 PM
I did 2 large installs about 2 months ago and a small one about 5 months ago.....

Out of all these only 1 plant didn't make it(and i have no idea why). Everything else including new stuff and a couple large transplanted palms all made it. Sure, some of the new palms needed fertilizer right away, but all but that one plant made it(and there were a lot of plants used). If the plants are set up to be watered properly and you tell the customer to hand water the transplants and install them correctly, I don't see how the plant can die. Unless the customer is over/underwatering, they should be fine.

White Gardens
07-23-2009, 10:12 PM
it is your fault for not specifying the warranty terms. people expect a warranty.

Personally I only warranty the plants that I buy. With transplants I always make sure the client understands that there is no guarantee the plants will survive.

I have specific terms for my One year, One time replacement warranty. I also have a clause that I can bring in a third party to determine liability if needed.

Isobel
07-24-2009, 02:59 AM
my terms specify a 2 year warranty on all new plants I purchase--not including sod, grass, and groundcover, and the client has to follow the specified care guide that I provide them.

no warranty on transplants.
no warranty on plants that I didn't purchase.