PDA

View Full Version : what to use to keep bermuda away, no roundup though

henri4207
07-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Any ideas on how to keep bermuda grass and weeds out of playground fall zones that are mulched? I cant use roundup as the nurserys do not approve of it, so any other way besides by hand the is not chemicals are harmful to people?

White Gardens
07-23-2009, 10:55 PM
I just bought a weed dragon for a few areas that I can't spray. (propane torch)

So for the results are 50/50, but definitively keeping the weeds under control.

I would go with the weed-dragon Jr. or mini, or whatever it is. The standard one is a little intense on the BTU's so it's hard to keep it under control around wanted plants. You can also upgrade to a trigger control to do more of a spot application.

You also want to be careful playing with fire.

http://www.flameengineering.com/Mini_Dragon.html

LushGreenLawn
07-24-2009, 07:45 AM
Round up is much safer than anything you are going to find to supress bermuda grass. Keep in mind round up only supresses it, it does not kill it.

topsites
07-24-2009, 08:47 AM
I just bought a weed dragon for a few areas that I can't spray. (propane torch)

Flame weeding, that's cool.

poolboy
07-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Any ideas on how to keep bermuda grass and weeds out of playground fall zones that are mulched? I cant use roundup as the nurserys do not approve of it, so any other way besides by hand the is not chemicals are harmful to people?

You can chemically burn it using pure vinegar. You'll have to repeat weekly, or maybe biweekly.

Think Green
07-24-2009, 11:08 PM
Vinegar and Clove oils.
Repeat as necessary!

Our parks departments here build play ground areas for the newer school additions, and they are filling the enclosures with 12 inches of that splinterless mulch. The thickness of the mulch helps to keep the weeds under control, but that bermuda will invade the stuff in a couple of months unless the areas are heavily trodden.