PDA

View Full Version : 6 Month Old Sod Goes Brown

srglawn
07-23-2009, 10:53 AM
First and foremost I would like to thank you greatly for reading this post. Here is our problem.

We put new sod (90/10) in our front yard 3 months ago and within the last month it is starting to turn yellowish/brown in some areas. We live in norther California and the lawn faces due west and receives lots of hot sun later in the day. We are trying to figure out what what the problem is and why our lawn looks this way. Many of our neighbors lawns are very green and healthy and others look like ours. Our lawn is watered 10 minutes
a day at 4AM daily. Your opinions/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

http://picasaweb.google.com/glaser.scott/LawnProblems?feat=directlink#

Thank you,

srglawn

Rick Lime
07-23-2009, 11:40 AM
You need to water new sod allot longer then 10 min a day. New sod needs to stay moist until it has an opportunity to set. Did you treat the soil with compost and 1/2 application of starter fertilizer before you laid the sod? And the other half after/ontop of the sod? You also need to keep traffic off of sod for some time...

By the way, daily watering is enough to kill your grass in many ways. Three months should be plenty of time for your sod to set if done right. Established turf should be watered no more then 1-1&1/2 hours per zone, once a week(exceptions during droughts).

Hope this helps!

srglawn
07-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Thank you very much. What I have learned is that if I dont water the lawn daily for 10 minutes, it will dry out completely but only in certain spots.

Rick Lime
07-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Your doing your lawn a disservice. First and foremost, watering daily promotes shallow root structure(in that case, drought=death). Properly established lawns do not need to be watered daily. secondly, constant moisture will promote disease. Grass has done just fine for billions of years without someone homeowner there to water it daily. Finally, constant watering will always reduce the residual for preemergents. Trust me, your part of the problem, and likely the reason you had to lay the sod in the first place. Its almost A/S season, just relax, and start over.

bigslick7878
07-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Man you folks in northern Cali have a false sense of what a "burned out lawn" is if those are the pics.I know most lawns in that area look like green indoor carpet but that is not anywhere close to burned out or dead.

Turn the sprinklers on for 60 minutes 4 times a week and be glad you live in the climate utopia of Northern Cali and enjoy your beautiful lawn.

redmax fan
07-23-2009, 01:23 PM
maybe try raising heigth of the cut

lawnmoorellc
07-23-2009, 01:25 PM
maybe try raising heigth of the cut and sharpen those blades you are tearing the grass not cutting

bigslick7878
07-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Yes raise the mower up to 3 inches.

AI Inc
07-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Your doing your lawn a disservice. First and foremost, watering daily promotes shallow root structure(in that case, drought=death). Properly established lawns do not need to be watered daily. secondly, constant moisture will promote disease. Grass has done just fine for billions of years without someone homeowner there to water it daily. Finally, constant watering will always reduce the residual for preemergents. Trust me, your part of the problem, and likely the reason you had to lay the sod in the first place. Its almost A/S season, just relax, and start over.

To give watering advice without knowing soil structure is a diservice.

redmax fan
07-23-2009, 01:32 PM
it also looks very densely packed and could be choking itself out a bit ,
maybe try plugging it , my customers with healthiest / densest lawns plug every spring . and if they didnt (these people fertilize every year so its thick grass) itd start choking plus getting a thatch build up to also choke it

and if youve a built up thatch that maybe choking it out ive heard from a jerry baker fan friend of mine spreading lime with epsom salt mixed in dissolves the build up

PS - IM NOT AN EDUCATED TURF PERSON , IM JUST SPEAKING FROM OBSERVATIONS / SELF EXPERIENCE

bigslick7878
07-23-2009, 01:33 PM
To give watering advice without knowing soil structure is a diservice.

Oh puh-lease.

AI Inc
07-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Ok , I have a sand and gravel based lawn with 1 to 1-1/2 " of topsoil in full sun . How long and ofton do I need to water to get deep root growth?

bigslick7878
07-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Ok , I have a sand and gravel based lawn with 1 to 1-1/2 " of topsoil in full sun . How long and ofton do I need to water to get deep root growth?

LOL.

Juts another lawnsite snob who thinks his sh%^ dont stink and he is God to lawns I see.

Please educate us oh great one on the soil structures of North America and pass some of your great knowledge down to us minions who have no clue what we are talking about.

AI Inc
07-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Well for starters dont read bullshat books and articles that say what you told the gentleman who started this thread.

If you dont know the correct answer , just say so.

bigslick7878
07-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Well for starters dont read bullshat books and articles that say what you told the gentleman who started this thread.

If you dont know the correct answer , just say so.

Just another jacka*s Red Sux fan........imagine that.

Must be something in the water up there.

AI Inc
07-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Just another mower jockey giving bad advice , see it every day.

bigslick7878
07-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Just another mower jockey giving bad advice , see it every day.

LOL,I do lawn renovations and only have 4 lawns I take care of.....all special cases in one way or another. I have been doing this for 15 years and take all of my knowledge from experience and I have not read one book on the subject.

Typical northeast Boston snob you are,see it all the time.

You now have the honor of being the first person I have ever had to put on ignore on this site....Congrats.

AI Inc
07-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Cool, pissed off another uneducated hump, my work is done here.

EVM
07-23-2009, 10:29 PM
There is nothing wrong with the lawn, water at 1 intervals 2 day a week. If the lawn needs more that 1 hour, give it more. 2 days a week and figure out how much water you need. Nice lawn!

DA Quality Lawn & YS
07-29-2009, 12:13 AM
Just reading thru this thread and found this smallish argument between two LS members.
Please guys, you both look poorly for arguing on someone else's thread. At least take it to the private area.

mngreenguy
07-30-2009, 12:23 AM
i'm a noob to this but rather than talking how long to water and frequency shouldn't you talking how many square inches you should put down and how many waterings per week it should take to get there?