PDA

View Full Version : soil for seeding

Brando55
07-23-2009, 03:56 PM
I have a job to do for a customer which consisted of me tearing up their existing backyard which was full of 2' tall weeds and putting new topsoil and seed down. I am wondering what should the depth of the topsoil be for seeding. I know for sodding it is 6" minimum...is this the same for seed?

turfcobob
07-23-2009, 05:06 PM
What is wrong with the soil that is there.. It grows weeds real good, sounds to me. Grass is a hardy plant that will grow in many places. Cracks in sidewalks, flower gardens and roadways. Take good care of it and most soil types will work well. Point is are you making a lot of work for yourself.

If it were me I would sample and test the soil that is there and go from there.

Smallaxe
07-24-2009, 08:52 AM
Ammending the existing soil often works better than bringing in a whole different topsoil.
What kind of soil is it BTW? Sand, Sandy Loam, Clay Loam or Clay?

Brando55
07-24-2009, 08:56 AM
clay but it doesnt look like it was good soil to start with there are many rocks in it.

bigslick7878
07-24-2009, 04:46 PM
6 inches is a BIT of overkill,don't know who told you that but 2 inches is all you need.

Make sure you till in into the existing soil and not just spread it over the top.

Smallaxe
07-25-2009, 08:19 AM
Enough topsoil to bury the rocks is what I would do too. Never found a good way to 'pick stone'. :)

2 or 3 inches of topsoil should be adequate sitting on clay and the roots will actually grow into it. Just be sure that the soil isn't often saturated because it is sitting on a nonporous hardpan of clay.

Perhaps that is where the idea of 6" topsoil being necessary, but as long as you don't overwater you should be fine with less.