PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do goose control?

turfmanagementspecialty
07-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Just wondering if anyone offers this service. What products do you use and how are the results? What do you charge/acre for this service. Thanks

turfpro69
07-23-2009, 06:07 PM
I work for a school district. We have about 45 geese that roost/nest on a nearby pond. Short of killing them nothing seems to work longterm. Dogs, harrassment, loud noises, distress calls, balloons, coyote decoys and the grape smelling repellants all provide short term relief but soon the geese get used to them and ignore them. Good Luck

DUSTYCEDAR
07-23-2009, 06:16 PM
flight control works well

fastcat
07-23-2009, 08:21 PM
extrema 2 with a 3 1/2 inch t shot applied at 1 goose per shell. works every time and that goose wont come back.

DOLMARatOS
07-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Also provides a freezer full of food. Beware the birdshot.

GravelyGuy
07-23-2009, 10:43 PM
A wire hammered about 18" off of the ground where they fly in works.

Maybe not what you wanted to hear ha.

RigglePLC
07-23-2009, 10:44 PM
Be sure to put string along the pond edges. About 6 inches above ground.

fastcat
07-23-2009, 10:47 PM
land mines would be cool to watch.

foreplease
07-23-2009, 11:23 PM
I rebuilt a baseball field last summer that had approximately 125 geese on it every day. Standing water on the infield was one of the problems I found when I arrived to work on this field. The geese made cesspools out of those. There are many laws protecting them here but I found something that worked. I have a large portable radio and set it on 2nd base my first day - tuned to Sean Hannity full blast. They hated that and quickly moved to the out edge of the outfield. The next day I set the radio out into the outfield grass and moved them out even farther. By day three I had them all the way outside the outfield fence for good. I continued using the radio for a few weeks after which they just stopped coming back.

Puttinggreens
07-24-2009, 12:34 PM
I am with Dusty, Flight Control works. Call their business office. They have a woman who is very, very good on this topic.

RigglePLC
07-24-2009, 08:47 PM
A nice size territorial dog is a help. Herding-type dogs work the best. Sheep dogs or cattle dogs. The dogs love to herd the "livestock" into a pen. Can you get an alligator? Coyote?

lawn king
07-24-2009, 09:06 PM
I have used flight control with very good results and rejects it (grape) with not so good results?

humble1
07-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Every fall me andthe dog try to kill as many ducks and geese as possible. I just bought a 14ft sneak boat real low to the water. I can drift right up on a flock out in the bay.

indyturf
07-25-2009, 12:10 AM
I live on a small pond and have fun annoying the geese to try and keep them off my lawn! I have a string fence 6in off the ground around my back yard. it helps allot. but when they get close (my neighbor feeds them) I use remote controlled trucks to chase them on land and a rc boat for the water. its also fun to chase them with a leaf blower or the perma green. I also use fire crackers and bottle rockets to chase the away. thinking about getting a paintball gun too!!:nono:

DOLMARatOS
07-25-2009, 01:02 PM
They offer several medium range paintball guns with lots of options. Make sure that you are using the environmentally friendly paintballs that are safe around water areas. These work great, very little chance of hurting the geese.

geesemanagement
03-29-2010, 04:34 PM
A dog will work. I own and operate a goose control company that uses specially trained Border Collies and other effective techniques to control the goose problem on your property. There probably is a goose control company in your area that will take care your problems. visit our website to get more info on this. www.geesemanagement.com

humble1
03-29-2010, 07:57 PM
A dog will work. I own and operate a goose control company that uses specially trained Border Collies and other effective techniques to control the goose problem on your property. There probably is a goose control company in your area that will take care your problems. visit our website to get more info on this. www.geesemanagement.com

How do you get around the federal laws in regards to harassing waterfowl?

If you move any migratory birds by vehicle or drive them in any way it is a crime?

SeedPro
03-29-2010, 07:59 PM
I'm actually doing my first Flight Control application on Wednesday.

geesemanagement
03-29-2010, 08:07 PM
I have a permit to do this and I use trained Border Collies. I don't use cars. Just dogs. It is considered pest control.

turfpro69
03-29-2010, 08:56 PM
How do you get around the federal laws in regards to harassing waterfowl?

If you move any migratory birds by vehicle or drive them in any way it is a crime?

I can't find a link at this time but the Federal depredation rules allow harrassment without a permit. Permits to destroy eggs are easy to get and leave a paper trail if you need to apply for a permit to destroy them. You do have to prove you have exhausted almost all available options prior to appying. I do know that attempting to move geese to another location is 1 futile as they will return, and 2 illegal as noone wants them.

BEFORE YOU TAKE MY WORD FOR ALL THIS CHECK WITH YOUR STATE DEC!!!!!!!

your rules may be different than mine!!

ksJoe
03-29-2010, 10:07 PM
tuned to Sean Hannity full blast.

Those must have been liberal geese.

betmr
03-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Best I've found is Border Collies. Our University has contract with Geese Police. They come in once in a while...the geese stay away.

Ric
03-30-2010, 11:33 AM
I have seen motion detector irrigation sprinklers being sold for Bird Control. If the bird lands the sprinkler in that area comes on for approx 15 seconds. DO THESE WORK?????

SeedPro
03-30-2010, 04:55 PM
I have seen motion detector irrigation sprinklers being sold for Bird Control. If the bird lands the sprinkler in that area comes on for approx 15 seconds. DO THESE WORK?????

I know a guy on a lake that has one of those. The only thing I saw it doing was spraying ME as I drove by with my Zmax.

:cry:

Ric
03-30-2010, 06:15 PM
I know a guy on a lake that has one of those. The only thing I saw it doing was spraying ME as I drove by with my Zmax.

:cry:

They must work if you were the only pest sprayed. I would think they would work great on smaller ponds or lakes. But the cost on large area might be prohibitive.

SeedPro
03-30-2010, 07:16 PM
They must work if you were the only pest sprayed. I would think they would work great on smaller ponds or lakes. But the cost on large area might be prohibitive.

He just had it in the middle of the lawn. But it was one of those big assed impact deals and it sprays about fifty feet. Scared the hell out of me.

Ric
03-30-2010, 08:19 PM
He just had it in the middle of the lawn. But it was one of those big assed impact deals and it sprays about fifty feet. Scared the hell out of me.

Seed

I have only seem them on the net, and I forget where. But they sure look like they would do the job.

grassmasterswilson
03-30-2010, 08:41 PM
the super at the country club where i play uses his dog(border collie) I think. Might have seen 1-2 flock of ducks and geese since he has been there. Saw the dog work 1 time and he just swam out into the water and jumped the flock and they flew off. there was no way the dog could catch them in the water. Guess they view the dog as an enemy and remember not to come back. The other courses in my area have geese on a regular basis.

indyturf
03-30-2010, 11:07 PM
I use a remote control boat on my 2 acre pond. works pretty good and its fun to chase those ******* geese!

lazyike
03-30-2010, 11:32 PM
Just wondering if anyone offers this service. What products do you use and how are the results? What do you charge/acre for this service. Thanks

I offer this service every fall. I use to use lead but the EPA and DNR (Damn Near ******ed) Says I have to use steel. I don't think it gives as good of control but I guess it is all in how its applied. I don't charge for this service because I believe we all need to do our "little part" for the good of all.

jvanvliet
03-31-2010, 08:12 AM
Stop feeding them; call animal control since the feces is dangerous to humans who come in contact with it.

Down here we have muskogee ducks, indigenous and protected. They breed like rats and then dimwits feed them; feed them once and they keep coming back. Once the population is overgrown, & we bug the State long enough, they send a trapper and off they go.

These ducks are not migratory they move in. I have thought of providing them with a "special" last meal but hat would only mean them expiring somewhere and stinking up the whole neighborhood.

Ric
03-31-2010, 09:33 AM
Stop feeding them; call animal control since the feces is dangerous to humans who come in contact with it.

Down here we have muskogee ducks, indigenous and protected. They breed like rats and then dimwits feed them; feed them once and they keep coming back. Once the population is overgrown, & we bug the State long enough, they send a trapper and off they go.

These ducks are not migratory they move in. I have thought of providing them with a "special" last meal but hat would only mean them expiring somewhere and stinking up the whole neighborhood.

jvanvliet

If you think you can get the Dimwits to stop feeding the wild live, Dream on. Back when I trapped Gators, I ran into several cases where people fed gators right off their porch and the wondered why it ate their dog. We are lucky in the fact we don't have a Muskogee Duck problem in my area of Florida. But I have seen other areas that had the problem. The Ducks where thick like a swarm of lotus and they were chasing people.

RigglePLC
03-31-2010, 03:33 PM
You should work together--maybe the alligators would control the geese. Got any snapping turtles, Ric? Boa constrictors? Pythons? Eagles?

Build an airport nearby. Then the government will come get 'em. Ask Captain Sully!

Ric
03-31-2010, 07:07 PM
You should work together--maybe the alligators would control the geese. Got any snapping turtles, Ric? Boa constrictors? Pythons? Eagles?
Build an airport nearby. Then the government will come get 'em. Ask Captain Sully!

Riggle

Becareful what you ask for.

http://wjz.com/watercooler/everglades.hunters.fwc.2.1545605.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/23/1544261/glades-python-deaths-fuel-debate.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/12/18/tech/main2276595.shtml

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/06/0603_040603_invasivespecies.html