PDA

View Full Version : Top Choice Starting To Let Me Down

lawnspecialties
07-23-2009, 08:21 PM
I started using Top Choice in 2006 with great results. In 2007, I gained a few customers and still achieved excellent results.

Then 2008 came. Yes, we got some late summer heavy storms but sure enough, I got several callbacks. A disappointment but I just chalked it up to misfortune and the heavy rains.

Today, I just did my first callback for 2009. It's only July 23rd! Sure enough, I show up and a church daycare playground had a very active mound. It was still quite small and I was unsure whether it was fire ants or not. I disturbed the mound a little and they swarmed. I stuck my finger in the bunch and several climbed up and tried their best to sting me.

We recently had some big rain showers but that's no excuse. Bayer says 12 months and I can't even get a full season. What seems ironic is the more expensive Top Choice becomes, the less effective it becomes.

Any others with opinions, good or bad?

LawnoftheMonth
07-23-2009, 11:02 PM
You stuck your finger in fire ants? Im going to start doing this to impress potential customers "ONE SECOND, LET ME TEST THIS MOUND, OMG YEP THEY BITE"

:laugh: :drinkup:

I like top choice but i never promise a years worth of control here in Houston.

lawnspecialties
07-24-2009, 07:37 AM
No big deal. My hands are callous enough that they can't really get their stingers in me. It's sort of funny watching one try to stick his butt through my skin. :laugh:

cmrgrounds
07-24-2009, 09:23 AM
i thought fireants bite, iv never heard of them sticking their butt in your skin.

coiclawn
07-24-2009, 09:25 AM
The only problem I've had is leaching on sandy soils. I had one complete failure this year and contacted my rep. who called Bayer who in turn sent me twice what I needed to re treat the lawn and four pounds of their bait along with it. As far as sticking your finger in the mound, I do that as well but only to prove to the customer that they are not fire ants. To the average homeowner ANY ant outside is a fire ant.

lawnspecialties
07-24-2009, 01:39 PM
i thought fireants bite, iv never heard of them sticking their butt in your skin.

They bite to get a good grip on you. Then they sting you like a bee.