PDA

View Full Version : Spot Sprayer Pump Decision Help

LushGreenLawn
07-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Hello All,

I finally bought a skid sprayer. I am making my little 35 gallon tank that I had been using as a nurse tank for the PG (which the skid sprayer will now double as) and make it into a spot sprayer.

I'm setting it up like a mini skid sprayer. I have it mounted on a small skid, with a 12V pump and a 100ft hose reel that I had laying around. I hooked up a 12V transfer pump to make sure nothing leaked, and that the 100ft of hose wouldn't give me a problem with flow, but its not really designed to be a sprayer pump.

My question is with the pump. I am looking at either a 2 gallon a minute pump that is rated for 60psi, or a 4.2 gallon per minute pump that is rated for 45psi. For the most part I will be using it to spot spray, but occasionally I may take it to spray a small lawn with an app, like a fungicide app, green dye, flea and tick, ect when I am running my fert route (the skid would be tied up with herbicide)

Which pump would you choose and why? I am leaning towards the 4.2 gallon pump for the volume for the apps, but is there a reason to need the extra 15psi even though its giving up volume?

Also, is it important that I have a pump with a demand switch? Will a pump be ok running and holding pressure when I don't have my finger on the trigger? There will be no pressure release valve sending liquid back to the tank, because I am working with low volume/pressure to begin with.