PDA

View Full Version : Best mulch bed pre-em liquid?

lilmarvin4064
07-23-2009, 07:50 PM
I'm debating on what the best mulch bed pre-em liquid is? Barricade + Gallery, Dimension + Gallery, Ronstar + Gallery, Surflan + Gallery. I was hoping someone could elaborate on these different mixes; price / effectiveness / plant tolerance / weather conditions / mixing, application differences. THANKS

olive123
07-26-2009, 08:03 AM
ronstar is well known for having the least negative effects on plant roots (chemical pruning) and gallery has the most extensive list of plants that you can
spray over the top on. My mix is barricade and gallery. I use ronstar also but more of an install type app.

hughmcjr
07-26-2009, 07:02 PM
I use liquid DImension and now that I can no longer get Dimension EC, I have switched to Dimension EW and thankfully. Dimension Ew works really well and you use .75 oz per gallon to cover approximately 1k sq ft. EC reeked really bad and even though EW is better the smell from it although mild has a similar stink to it that Dursban Pro had from years ago. I wish they all could be like Glypho, little smell and no dye. I swear we must have lobbyists or some book smart brain dead people putting those smelly, staining carriers that aren't always needed in there.

Interesting the same product in Australia and New Zealand doesn't put the carriers in that we do and it seems to work fine. Just straight Dythiopyr in ew.

Stay away from liquids with dyes if you plan on using it like I do for treating walks and crack in cement, parking lots, etc as the dyes look like hell for quite a while till water and wear fades them. I used Pendulum (dark orange/rust color) and Surflan(screaming bright orange color) and once got it on vinyl siding and even a pressure washer wouldn't take it off. On walks dyes really look bad especially on new cement.

Dimensio EW is also fine for spraying over ornamentals where DImension EC wasn't.

ALso there are many weeds NOT listed for control under the label for Dimension ec, but I can tell you that at normal rates I have complete weed control, 100% including dandelions which aren't on the label. Take that for what it is worth.

hughmcjr
07-26-2009, 07:08 PM
ronstar is well known for having the least negative effects on plant roots (chemical pruning) and gallery has the most extensive list of plants that you can
spray over the top on. My mix is barricade and gallery. I use ronstar also but more of an install type app.

Gallery is actually a powder to mix to liquid right?

I want to use true liquids and not have to carry any granular outside of fert.

greendoctor
07-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Pre-M and Surflan are actually aniline dyes that happen to be good preemergents against grassy weeds. I use non-dye type herbicides such as diuron, Dimension or Ronstar for hard surfaces.

greendoctor
07-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Gallery is a DF(Granular) that goes into suspension in water. It is the ticket for broadleaf weed control.

hughmcjr
07-26-2009, 09:04 PM
^^ My Shurflo electric backpack says not to use any powders, etc. I am guessing Gallery flowable falls into that category?

greendoctor
07-27-2009, 01:11 AM
True. Because most of what I am spraying is a DF, flowable or DG, My backpack sprayers are duplex piston pumps with return agitation back to the tank. There are some days where I literally run over 100 gallons of solution through the machine. 100/7=14 fillings of a 7 gallon tank. It does go fast when the pump is capable of discharging 2 gallons per minute at 300+ PSI. An electric pump might drive me crazy with its low pressure and discharge rates.