PDA

View Full Version : weed killer share same tank as selective herbicide?

godjwood
07-23-2009, 07:56 PM
I only have one spray tank and I use it for weed killer usually.

Yesterday I rinsed it out really well and put in a selective herbicide and sprayed a couple lawns.

i didnt think this would be an issue...

am i in for a nasty surprise...??

ejojr
07-23-2009, 08:38 PM
rule of thumb is rinse 3 times...hope you also sprayed out any remaining residue in the wand. If you only rinsed once, good luck.

fastcat
07-23-2009, 09:16 PM
weed killer is a herbicide. are you licensed

Rayholio
07-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Use Nutri-sol.. it's available at farm stores :) Good stuff for tank cleaning.

T-Trim
07-23-2009, 09:23 PM
No No No. We never mix nonselective in a selective tank. not worth the time. just buy a different tank sprayer.

djflats
07-23-2009, 09:43 PM
I had been using a 2 gallon sprayer to spray some Bayer Weed and Crabgrass Killer to kill off some clover. I wanted to put down some Spectracide on some nasty weeds and ivy so I just got another sprayer. I wasn't for sure what to rinse it with or if there is such a thing so I got another to be on the safe side.

puppypaws
07-23-2009, 11:21 PM
I only have one spray tank and I use it for weed killer usually.

Yesterday I rinsed it out really well and put in a selective herbicide and sprayed a couple lawns.

i didnt think this would be an issue...

am i in for a nasty surprise...??

What were you spraying, names of each?

Sammy
07-24-2009, 08:58 AM

It is also a pesticide. :)

ron mexico75
07-24-2009, 09:15 AM

Uh oh, you better photo copy your license and post it now! The round up police monitor this site heavily.:laugh:

I assume you drive to your jobs. A truck is a motor vehicle....are you licensed?:laugh:

You can buy a tank cleaner powder and wash the tank a couple of times. With the time that takes and the possibility of killing whatever you're spraying if you don't clean good enough, the cost of another sprayer is well worth it.

godjwood
07-24-2009, 08:05 PM
hmm thanks for the input guys.

yea i actually rinsed 3x and sprayed out the wand. So I guess I am safe.

The way I figured though, is that its already diluted from the concentrate.. then you rinse it out 3x.. then whatever remnants are in there are diluted again in 3.5 more gallons.. so i would have to assume there would have to be such trace amounts in it that it wouldnt affect anything.

RigglePLC
07-24-2009, 08:22 PM
However--sometimes residue remains in the hand pump itself. Or residual chemical remains in the air pressure chamber of a back pack sprayer--about 2 quarts. Read Whitey's thread about resodding 2000 square feet.

There was a discussion of what to do at my chemical dealer's this morning. Someone had accidentally sprayed Roundup instead of Threeway on a big lawn. They have a big party planned in 3 weeks. Lucky--it was a customer that did it--not a landscaper. But now his landscaper has to try to fix the situation.

You can buy an extra hand sprayer for $9.95--cheap insurance.

puppypaws
07-24-2009, 09:22 PM
How many of you know that Roundup is applied as a growth regulator to fescue?

humble1
07-24-2009, 09:23 PM
I wouldnt chance it, I have a back pack for round up, one for broadleaf, one for post crab, each is marked, so there can never be a mix up.

I have a electric b pack tank dedicated w/ a jd 9 for insecticide.

EVM
07-24-2009, 09:29 PM
I keep my tanks separate, I never use a vegetation killer tank for a selective tank. That is just me though.

puppypaws
07-24-2009, 09:32 PM
I wouldnt chance it, I have a back pack for round up, one for broadleaf, one for post crab, each is marked, so there can never be a mix up.

I have a electric b pack tank dedicated w/ a jd 9 for insecticide.

That is a good looking Lab! The one on the left in my avatar has over $5000.00 in his two rear legs, you can probably figure out how much I think of Labs. He has diabetes now and takes $35.00 worth of Vetsulin a week, this is a high dollar dog.

EVM
07-25-2009, 12:05 AM
That is a good looking Lab! The one on the left in my avatar has over $5000.00 in his two rear legs, you can probably figure out how much I think of Labs. He has diabetes now and takes $35.00 worth of Vetsulin a week, this is a high dollar dog.

You don't want to know how much mine has in his one front leg. He got out of the yard at his sitters house and got hit by a car. Anyways, he had to have his front leg amputated and the other front leg was in a fixator (external rods/screws) for 5 months. We are just glad he is still with us.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4038/dscf0113x.jpg

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/9937/dscf0114g.jpg

puppypaws
07-25-2009, 12:45 AM
You don't want to know how much mine has in his one front leg. He got out of the yard at his sitters house and got hit by a car. Anyways, he had to have his front leg amputated and the other front leg was in a fixator (external rods/screws) for 5 months. We are just glad he is still with us.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4038/dscf0113x.jpg

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/9937/dscf0114g.jpg

I'm really sorry about your dog, you honestly don't know how much it hurts me to see him in that condition. If I show this to my wife she will cry and my 27 yr old daughter can't handle it either.

My daughter can cut a person all to pieces to retrieve their organs, but cannot stand to see a dog damaged or hurt. She volunteers for the APS and will put the law on someone she sees mistreating an animal before you can blink your eyes. She can be riding down the street somewhere and see a dog tied where it cannot get into the shade or have access to water and she will have the police there very shortly.

How much money have you got in vet bills for your dog. I understand totally, I can add up many thousands in the seven I own and I get very good discounts. I will not let one go no matter what it cost, if I can get it any quality of life at all.

EVM
07-25-2009, 07:52 PM
He is kinda sleeping in that picture but he is getting along quite well these days. Couple more weeks before the fixator comes off and he will be running around again. Amazing how he adapts to his handicap, truly amazing.

I am scared for life after that accident but he is just as happy as he was before the accident.

Whitey4
07-25-2009, 08:57 PM
However--sometimes residue remains in the hand pump itself. Or residual chemical remains in the air pressure chamber of a back pack sprayer--about 2 quarts. Read Whitey's thread about resodding 2000 square feet.

There was a discussion of what to do at my chemical dealer's this morning. Someone had accidentally sprayed Roundup instead of Threeway on a big lawn. They have a big party planned in 3 weeks. Lucky--it was a customer that did it--not a landscaper. But now his landscaper has to try to fix the situation.

You can buy an extra hand sprayer for $9.95--cheap insurance.

2200 square feet, actually. :laugh:

Funny thing... a home owner 3 houses down the block saw how freakin great that sodding job took.... and now wants me to do their new construction house... about 2400 sq ft. I said I was not in the sod biz, but I gave them a price.... a high price... and it's a go. :confused: I guess I am in the sodding biz.... for now. :laugh:

Think Green
07-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Whitey,
You really could have done much better by getting this new job without the hassle you went through.
I feel that this was a kick in the @#%%@ to you, but it is kind of miraculous how jobs will arise from a bad situation..!! It is called Fate--Karma--Resolution!
I have been down your road before, and I for one will elaborate publically, that I fell to my knees and thanked GOD for the bad situation --because a good situation came from it!!
My eyes were opened a little wider from this!! Life's lessons learned!!

Good Going!!!

puppypaws
07-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Whitey,
You really could have done much better by getting this new job without the hassle you went through.
I feel that this was a kick in the @#%%@ to you, but it is kind of miraculous how jobs will arise from a bad situation..!! It is called Fate--Karma--Resolution!
I have been down your road before, and I for one will elaborate publically, that I fell to my knees and thanked GOD for the bad situation --because a good situation came from it!!
My eyes were opened a little wider from this!! Life's lessons learned!!

Good Going!!!

Interesting, you speak of "Karma", making me think you were of the "Hindu" or "Buddhist" faith, then you fall on your knees praying to "God." I suppose you were attempting to thank who ever was available at that particular time. Seems like a good idea to me, keeping all possible bases covered. :)

Think Green
07-26-2009, 09:33 AM
That is what I like about public forums..................keep em guessing!!!

My family is of Southern Baptist faith and Arkansan...........by choice!!!

Buddha and Ghandi---------------Well ??

rcreech
07-26-2009, 11:09 AM
I would NEVER share a tank.

TOO much risk!

Yes you can triple rinse and I have done so...but makes me nervous and too much room for error IMO.

Figure what a sprayer costs (which isn't much) and figure what it would cost you if you screw up.

You would be able to buy a lot of sprayers for most screw ups!

Don't care how good you are it will happen! I especially wouldn't do it if you have employees working for you!

Best advice I can give you is to have a tank for each product and label them!

puppypaws
07-26-2009, 01:21 PM
That is what I like about public forums..................keep em guessing!!!

My family is of Southern Baptist faith and Arkansan...........by choice!!!

Buddha and Ghandi---------------Well ??

That was a good choice, Arkansan that is.....Southern Baptist (which I am), as well as other faiths all have conflicts and problems. They all seem too think they have the perfect religion, while knowing there is no such thing.

Whitey4
07-26-2009, 03:17 PM
That was a good choice, Arkansan that is.....Southern Baptist (which I am), as well as other faiths all have conflicts and problems. They all seem too think they have the perfect religion, while knowing there is no such thing.

Sticking my neck out here.... and VERY off topic... but since it went in this direction, being born, raised and a fairly devout practicing RC, honestly, that whole "we are more true or better than you" thing is neither taught, preached or practiced (any more, for like 2 decades). While there is an underlying belief that RC was the church Christ founded, despite it's history of failed leadership by men and many injustices, the bottom line is that God will judge men by their actions, their lives, and religous affiliation will have little to do with the final judgement....

I don't think, at the final judgement God cares what religion one was either born into or converted to. Were you a good man, or a good woman? Did you do unto others as you would do unto yourself?

I knew a born again christian.... guy thought he could commit any sin he wanted all day long, but if he asked for forgiveness at the end of the day, all would be forgiven.... a free pass. Not buyin any of that... live your life. Be moral, be forgiving, be honest, do your best to have faith when all is hopeless, help others, be charitable, let God judge men, not man (excepting of course those who commit crimes) .... none of that has squat to do with any particular church or denomination.

That is the basic truth in virtually all religious denominations. Then, of course, all religion just might be what the atheists say it is... placebo for the masses. To each his own... but I do have my eye on December 21, 2012... and I've never bought into any sort of doomsday prophesies before... but better safe than sorry!

puppypaws
07-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Sticking my neck out here.... and VERY off topic... but since it went in this direction, being born, raised and a fairly devout practicing RC, honestly, that whole "we are more true or better than you" thing is neither taught, preached or practiced (any more, for like 2 decades). While there is an underlying belief that RC was the church Christ founded, despite it's history of failed leadership by men and many injustices, the bottom line is that God will judge men by their actions, their lives, and religous affiliation will have little to do with the final judgement....

I don't think, at the final judgement God cares what religion one was either born into or converted to. Were you a good man, or a good woman? Did you do unto others as you would do unto yourself?

I knew a born again christian.... guy thought he could commit any sin he wanted all day long, but if he asked for forgiveness at the end of the day, all would be forgiven.... a free pass. Not buyin any of that... live your life. Be moral, be forgiving, be honest, do your best to have faith when all is hopeless, help others, be charitable, let God judge men, not man (excepting of course those who commit crimes) .... none of that has squat to do with any particular church or denomination.

That is the basic truth in virtually all religious denominations. Then, of course, all religion just might be what the atheists say it is... placebo for the masses. To each his own... but I do have my eye on December 21, 2012... and I've never bought into any sort of doomsday prophesies before... but better safe than sorry!

Interesting post, I believe in a one on one relationship with God, no religion or good works will get you into heaven. When it comes to judgement day, everyone stands on their on, Jesus was and is the only power of intercession.

hughmcjr
07-26-2009, 06:44 PM
20 years of spraying and many times I have rinsed a SOlo backpack sprayer out and NEVER had issues. I am the only one who sprays and applies chemicals, my employees don't. I fill the sprayer up several times, dump it and also engage the lock on the wand handle to the on position, constantly pump and let water flow through for at least two minutes. The issue isn't as big a deal spraying weeds in areas where there is little off target drift that could be an issue, because other chems if they do have residual in a sprayer aren't going to be an issue like not rinsing a sprayer completely that has Glypho and then using it on a lawn where residual in an extreme case of poor rinsing might be. Even then if you rinse properly there should never be an issue and spraying an entire lawn with 2,4d in a sprayer that was used for glypho would be tough, actually impossible to get that much of the residual glypho to kill or even damage anything. Again this is based on thoroughly rinsing. Trace amounts that wouldn't be able to kill a single cell on a plant/grass certainly aren't going to be an issue spraying large areas. I do this at times mainly because I prefer one sprayer over the other, because as much as they are stamped out to be the same, it seems every sprayer even being the same model/brand works slightly differently. And I have at least 4 backpack sprayers.

humble1
07-26-2009, 10:20 PM

Thanks I will tell him-

We were set up for some duck hunting and he was looking to the sky, so I snapped a pic. Its funny how when we are driving around, even in the summer, he is always looking for birds.
When we hunt I sometimes will look to him, because his sight is better than ours especially when its just getting light out. I am dreading any kind of problems down the road he comes with me everywhere, he even plows with me in the winter. I cried like a baby when I had to put my last dog down and swore I wouldnt get another one, but after having kids I wanted them to have a dog, and besides, hes a lot better and quicker getting the ducks out of the water than me.

puppypaws
07-26-2009, 11:18 PM
Thanks I will tell him-

We were set up for some duck hunting and he was looking to the sky, so I snapped a pic. Its funny how when we are driving around, even in the summer, he is always looking for birds.
When we hunt I sometimes will look to him, because his sight is better than ours especially when its just getting light out. I am dreading any kind of problems down the road he comes with me everywhere, he even plows with me in the winter. I cried like a baby when I had to put my last dog down and swore I wouldnt get another one, but after having kids I wanted them to have a dog, and besides, hes a lot better and quicker getting the ducks out of the water than me.

I have a Black Lab sitting against my leg at this very moment. The last time I cried was when I had to have one put to sleep as well, and I mean hard crying.

I once did a great deal of duck and goose hunting and was fortunate enough to hunt at Currituck Sound from my late teens until I was about 30 years old.
The reason I felt fortunate was because I always hunted with Blanton Saunders, he was the last living guide that market hunted ducks and geese with his father and grandfather on Currituck. I could almost cry now thinking about how good it was to sit in a duck blind with him, and listen to stories of old marketing hunting days. One number that really sticks out in my mind was the time he told me about killing 154 Redheads and Canvasbacks in one day shooting out of a sink blind with live decoys in the spread.

Here is a link you may enjoy reading. Blanton was known as a master decoy carver as well, and his decoys are still sold and traded for big money. He was the most interesting person I've had the pleasure of being associated with in my entire life. Do a little research on him if you get a chance, he was from the Popular Branch area of NC.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg09_NCWildStore/sample_oct05a.pdf

rcreech
07-27-2009, 06:45 AM
20 years of spraying and many times I have rinsed a SOlo backpack sprayer out and NEVER had issues. I am the only one who sprays and applies chemicals, my employees don't. I fill the sprayer up several times, dump it and also engage the lock on the wand handle to the on position, constantly pump and let water flow through for at least two minutes. The issue isn't as big a deal spraying weeds in areas where there is little off target drift that could be an issue, because other chems if they do have residual in a sprayer aren't going to be an issue like not rinsing a sprayer completely that has Glypho and then using it on a lawn where residual in an extreme case of poor rinsing might be. Even then if you rinse properly there should never be an issue and spraying an entire lawn with 2,4d in a sprayer that was used for glypho would be tough, actually impossible to get that much of the residual glypho to kill or even damage anything. Again this is based on thoroughly rinsing. Trace amounts that wouldn't be able to kill a single cell on a plant/grass certainly aren't going to be an issue spraying large areas. I do this at times mainly because I prefer one sprayer over the other, because as much as they are stamped out to be the same, it seems every sprayer even being the same model/brand works slightly differently. And I have at least 4 backpack sprayers.

I agree..but typically you are not talking larger areas when using a backpack.

I have 6 back packs and rarely use but 2 of them now (3-Way). But back in the day I used all of them every week. Flower bed, Gly, Insect, Ground Sterilant, and 3-Way tanks.

I was not going to rinse all the time...let alone risk killing something.

If you are using a 3-Way product and rinse well and then go spray a $400 Jap Maple for insects you see what can happen if not rinsed out correctly.

Has not happend to me...but sure it can and has happened!

I am not saying it can't be done...I am just saying why risk it?

Buying a $400 Jap Maple or getting a bad name isn't worth it to me!

Sure it can be done...but go ahead and roll the dice. All it takes in once!