PDA

View Full Version : First weed control app with the Z

EVM
07-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Made my first practice weed control app with the Z the other day. I did a practice run with 4 oz of MSMA and 6 ounces of Momentum FX in 6 gallons of water @ 1 gallon per K. The results were ok but I think I could go lower on the MSMA and still get control. Right now I think the MSMA is still a tad hot.

One of the pics you can see where I turned the boom on and did not move fast enough. The other pics you can see green untreated weed but in the back you can see an 8 foot strip of light green that was treated.

Keep moving!
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8633/img0080qjq.jpg

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/2538/img0081oex.jpg

Untreated area close up
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/2496/img0087v.jpg

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6084/img0082r.jpg

grassman177
07-23-2009, 09:20 PM
msma 3oz per k, not 4 . that would be most of the problem, other than that is app rate and temp/stress.

Hogjaw
07-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Is this due to insufficient spray coverage of target?

EVM
07-23-2009, 09:51 PM
msma 3oz per k, not 4 . that would be most of the problem, other than that is app rate and temp/stress.

I am under the app rate of 3oz per k. I had 4 ounces in 6 gallons of water, spraying at 1 gallon per K. That is 1.5 oz of msma per K, the MSMA still worked a little to much. Scary running this Z with weed control in it. I will do another test with .35 oz of MSMA per K and see how it works.

EVM
07-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Is this due to insufficient spray coverage of target?

It would work allot better if the weeds/grass had been cut. As is, I do not think the dallisgrass will be growing again anyway.

grassman177
07-24-2009, 01:29 AM
math is wrong , gal per k with six gal is 6k ftsq. fOLOW? so 6(thounsand) x 1.5 oz per k is 9oz. so you are even lighter than you think. sure you will get some damage, but not much. i have used 3oz per k in only 1/2 gal per k and did not have damage but great kill. no surfactant or additions. check ur math and see if you might have figured wrong or stated on here wrong.

ted putnam
07-24-2009, 01:40 AM
Grassman is correct, check math. I am using 1/3 gal per k tips. That means 1 gal finished mix will spray 3k. I am using 1oz/k MSMA with great results. That means 3oz per 1 gal finished mix or in your case if you were using the same tips as me it would be 18 oz per 6 gals. Does this make since to you now.

Rayholio
07-24-2009, 03:34 AM
Be very careful of your speed as well.. The tendancy with the Z is to drive slower than 5mph at 1st... If you this, you will kill stuff... I've also had problems with MSMA in the past out of a hose end sprayer.. maybe the Z tips cause the same problem?

I suggest using Drive, or even Q4 until you're confortable with the speed.. they seem to be a lot more forgiving than MSMA

rcreech
07-24-2009, 07:26 AM
I think one needs to be careful blaming equipment for turf burn.

If the tip and machine are working correctly it will not cause turf burn (pressure, speed, gallons).

If one is seeing turf burn from a machine it is purely mis-application from either speed, over lap or mixing etc.

I don't agree that the Z will burn turf more then any other machine!

The Z is set up EXACTLY like every sprayer used in a field situation. Almost all ag sprayers are set up this way and spray millions of acres/year. So I don't think we can't fault the Z set up, boom or tip!

A spray system is a spray system...you just have to use it correctly.

americanlawn
07-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Ditto with rc -- Did I see missed areas? (healthy grassy weeds & healthy violets next to grassy weeds trying to die).

I know if rcreach sprayed this lawn, everything would be dead. But that's why they sell grass seed. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just kidding Rod - also curious how the Hypro Hi-Flow nozzle (s) work on your Z. :drinkup:

EVM
07-24-2009, 09:14 PM
I am not blaming the Z for the burn strip, I hit the peddle and did not move. Anyways, this was practice (not a customer and not getting paid) on a lawn full of weeds. I am not going out with this unit spraying herbicide until I feel comfortable with it/know the consequences of my actions. You won't find me getting fired because I torched some body's lawn. Other than that one strip everything was ok, no serious burn down but a slight yellowing. The grass that was in the lawn is still there. I missed the one area on purpose.

RC you seem like you have used low volume equipment for a while. I come from pulling a hose and putting out 3 gallons per K, it is going to take some time for me to get used to the machine.

rcreech
07-24-2009, 09:35 PM
I am not blaming the Z for the burn strip, I hit the peddle and did not move. Anyways, this was practice (not a customer and not getting paid) on a lawn full of weeds. I am not going out with this unit spraying herbicide until I feel comfortable with it/know the consequences of my actions. You won't find me getting fired because I torched some body's lawn. Other than that one strip everything was ok, no serious burn down but a slight yellowing. The grass that was in the lawn is still there. I missed the one area on purpose.

RC you seem like you have used low volume equipment for a while. I come from pulling a hose and putting out 3 gallons per K, it is going to take some time for me to get used to the machine.

I have been using low volume for over 10 years on the farm...but I have only ran low volume lawn equipement for 5 years.

I was not coming at you. It was stated in another post that the Z caused burn...and I was comingling these posts.

Even with all the time I have ran ride ons...it takes time to learn how to use a new machine. You will be fine once you log a few hours.

RC