PDA

View Full Version : Momma needs some help

yard_smart
07-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Hey guys,

My mom asked me last week if there was anything she could spray in her flower beds that would kill the grass and weed but not the plant. Clearly I'm not a fert n squirt guy so I told her I'm sure I could find her an answer on Lawnsite .... so there it is ... any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Landrus2
07-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Get your self a pair of gloves and go to work.:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

RigglePLC
07-24-2009, 08:38 PM
Ortho Grass B Gone will kill the grass. Fluzifop or something like that is the active ingredient. Also, for most weeds, cover the plants with plastic bags--spray Roundup. Remove bags. Also, "Preen" will prevent the weed seeds of certain types of weeds from sprouting. Be nice to your mom. I hope I helped her.

Think Green
07-24-2009, 09:51 PM
Same here---"Ditto" RigglePLC
Pretty basic--sound as a rock advice!

Good luck!

kirk1701
07-25-2009, 12:43 AM
Same here---"Ditto" RigglePLC
Pretty basic--sound as a rock advice!

Good luck!

We bought a container of Preen the other day for the garden here; does that stuff really work?

Haven't tried it yet

RigglePLC
07-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Preen is like crabgrass control. It stops seeds of annuals from emerging. If the seeds are small. Does not help for perennial weeds or weeds that invade by creeping, (rather than coming from seeds). It claims to last for 6 weeks--but really, it probably lasts half that long. You may need to reapply often.

kirk1701
07-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks Riggle

Think Green
07-25-2009, 11:59 PM
Kirk,
Sorry for not posting back sooner!
Just as Riggle stated--redo the application of Preen often!
Treflan--the main ingredient in the Preen, is temperature sensitive and will negate out and become useless quickly with heat; other soil means of organic matter, and microorganisms.
The product Preen is a large consumer product with Treflan as the main ingredient because it doesn't stay within the soil for long periods of time, making it a great tool in controlling the weeds in the residential label. You are in Kentucky, so I believe you are in the areas where you get heat--just the same as Me, so repeat at 45-60 day intervals.
Read the label and make sure you are applying this stuff around labeled plants. Apply this stuff at the adequate rate or that little (quarter picture) shows'!! LOL!! I love that one!?

Think Green
07-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Kirk,

A little something extra for you!!

Breakdown in soil and groundwater: Trifluralin is of moderate to high persistence in the soil environment, depending on conditions. Trifluralin is subject to degradation by soil microorganisms. Trifluralin remaining on the soil surface after application may be decomposed by UV light or may volatilize. Reported half-lives of trifluralin in the soil vary from 45 to 60 days [11] to 6 to 8 months [1]. After 6 months to 1 year, 80 to 90% of its activity will be gone [8]. It is strongly adsorbed on soils and nearly insoluble in water [11]. Because adsorption is highest in soils high in organic matter or clay content and adsorbed herbicide is inactive, higher application rates may be required for effective weed control on such soils [58,8]. Trifluralin has been detected in nearly 1% of the 5590 wells tested. However, it has been detected at very low concentrations, typically ranging from 0.002 ug/L to 15 ug/L [8].
Breakdown in water: Trifluralin is nearly insoluble in water [1]. It will probably be found adsorbed to soil sediments and particulates in the water column.
Breakdown in vegetation: Trifluralin inhibits the growth of roots and shoots when it is absorbed by newly germinated weed seedlings [58]. Trifluralin residues in crop plants will occur only in root tissues which are in direct contact with contaminated soil. Trifluralin is not translocated into the leaves, seeds, or fruit of most plants. On most crops, trifluralin applied to the leaves has no effect, but on certain crops, such as tobacco and summer squash, leaf distortion may occur [58].

kirk1701
07-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the info TG

Garden really got over run with grass and weeds this year. Probably why I had more problems with the lawn then last keeping weeds out with a garden in the middle of the lawn :laugh:

Anyhow, we will be breaking up the garden in about a month, everything goes and plan is to put the preen down after the turnip greens come up :drinkup:

Or should the preen be put down sooner?

YES the turnip greens are planted from seed so have to wait till they sprout

upidstay
07-27-2009, 08:22 AM
To my knowledge, there are NO pre-emergants that are labeled for crops. I would mulch around the desirable plants and do your weed control with carerul apps of round up, or the old fashioned way, with a pair of gloves and a sore back.

yard_smart
07-27-2009, 07:32 PM
To my knowledge, there are NO pre-emergants that are labeled for crops. I would mulch around the desirable plants and do your weed control with carerul apps of round up, or the old fashioned way, with a pair of gloves and a sore back.

Thanks guys i wish all parts of the forum were this constructive :rolleyes: