PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used the $3500/$4500 Cars.gov offer on new truck?

TimTim2008
07-24-2009, 02:41 PM
http://www.makeminechristian.com/junkyard1.jpg

I was thinking about stripping out my truck and tradeing it in on the new cars.gov program.. (no the picture is not my truck)

anyone here done it before?

If you think about it, the program requiremnts state the car/truck only needs to RUN...

I could sell the seats, radio/cd player, the other 3 doors. truck, tail gail, sparetire, rims, etc.. and make another $1000 or $2000 on those parts selling them on ebay

--------------- The real cars.gov rules -------------

Your trade-in vehicle must

have been manufactured less than 25 years before the date you trade it in
have a "new" combined city/highway fuel economy of 18 miles per gallon or less
be in drivable condition
be continuously insured and registered to the same owner for the full year preceding the trade-in
The trade-in vehicle must have been manufactured not earlier than 25 years before the date of trade in and, in the case of a category 3 vehicle, must also have been manufactured not later than model year 2001

poolboy
07-24-2009, 03:04 PM
It appears that someone had a very bad day.

doubleedge
07-25-2009, 12:57 AM
You can do that already? I thought the program went into effect at the end of July.

I plan on using that program to help lease a compact car (probably a Mazda 3).

NIXRAY
07-25-2009, 01:07 AM
"be in drivable condition"...a lil hard to drive without seats and rims, don't ya think??

Hawg City Lawns
07-25-2009, 01:39 AM
so what are they going to do with all the old beasts people dont want?

mag360
07-25-2009, 02:08 PM
so what are they going to do with all the old beasts people dont want?

They will be destroyed. The idea is to get rid of the excess supply and get demand back to a point where the auto manufacturers can make some money again. Roosevelt tried some similar things during the depression.

grandview (2006)
07-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Internet bottleneck stalls ‘clunker’ trades
By Brian Hayden
NEWS BUSINESS REPORTER
Updated: July 25, 2009, 7:31 AM / 1 comment
Story tools:

The federal government’s “Cash-for- Clunkers” program has lured a rush of shoppers to area dealerships in recent weeks, but it hit a stumbling block on Friday.

On the first day dealers could register online with the government to receive reimbursement vouchers of up to $4,500 per “clunker,” the government’s computer system slowed to a crawl.

“We sent letters out to more than 20,000 car dealers, and we think all of them tried to log in at the same time,” said Ray Tyson, spokesman for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

With hundreds of car sales already negotiated, car dealers hoped to finalize the deals and send buyers driving off their lots soon after they registered Friday. But the computer slowdown delayed the process for the dealers, who spent much of the day trying to sign on. Customers who expected to pick up their finalized purchase on Monday may instead have to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday.

The slowdown added additional anxiety to the first-come first-served nature of the $1 billion program. With more than 20,000 automotive dealerships across the country, at an average of $4,000 a pop for each clunker trade-in, it averages to about 12 clunker sales per dealership.

As a result, dealers are rushing to close as many sales as they can.

The West-Herr Automotive Group, for example, has already negotiated 250 clunker deals, and Paddock Chevrolet has made nearly 100. Many more deals are in the works.

Every salesperson was busy Friday afternoon at Keller Chevrolet in Cheektowaga; Jim Murphy Pontiac, Buick and GMC in Cheektowaga; and Joe Basil Chevrolet in Depew.

“No one wants to be the first person outside of the billion that’s funded,” said Bill Wertheim, general manager at Paddock.

Wertheim said he did not expect the delay to prevent those who had already negotiated a clunker trade from getting the rebate. But those who have yet to start shopping should act soon, he said.

The overflow of customers is welcomed by many area dealers who are enduring a prolonged sales slump and have witnessed two of the Big Three automakers work through bankruptcy in the last year. Paul Stasiak, president of the Niagara Frontier Automobile Dealer’s Association, said dealerships across the region have seen a flood of interested customers.

“This ‘cash for clunkers’ has created a lot of conversation at the dealerships,” he said. “In to-day’s economy, we need every bit of traffic we can get.”

The program has many stipulations and asterisks. A “clunker” trade-in cannot be older than a 1984 model, must get 18 miles or less per gallon in combined city/highway fuel economy and be registered, insured and in use for one year. On the other side of the deal, new passenger cars that customers use the vouchers on must cost less than $45,000 and get 22 miles per gallon in combined fuel economy. (Details are at the Web site cars.gov)

If the new car has a federal fuel economy rating at least 4 mpg better than the clunker, customers qualify for a $3,500 voucher, which is sent to the car dealer on the buyer’s behalf. If the new car is rated at least 10 mpg better, customers qualify for the maximum, $4,500.

It’s different for light duty trucks and SUVs. A new truck that has a fuel economy rating at least 2 mpg higher than the trade-in truck qualifies for a $3,500 voucher; if it’s at least 5 mpg higher, it qualifies for the full $4,500.

All of the rules and regulations confused Tom Turton of Cheektowaga, who drove to Joe Basil Chevrolet hoping to make a clunker deal for his 1997 Chrysler Concord.

“I’m getting older,” said Turton, 80, of Cheektowaga. “I don’t want to have something that might break down.”

Turton thought he qualified, since the new cars he looked at averaged 10 miles per gallon better than his old car. But his car is rated at 19 miles per gallon, one more than the 18 needed to qualify. He walked away empty-handed.

“It’s a big farce,” Turton said in frustration.

But other customers found success. Arlene Mallion and Ed Webber of Hamburg are trading in their 1990 Dodge Dakota for $4,500 off of a new 2009 Chevy Cobalt at Keller Chevrolet.

“We can’t wait to get it,” Webber, 57, said. “We were really able to save some money.”

ed2hess
07-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Internet bottleneck stalls ‘clunker’ trades
By Brian Hayden
NEWS BUSINESS REPORTER
Updated: July 25, 2009, 7:31 AM / 1 comment
Story tools:

The federal government’s “Cash-for- Clunkers” program has lured a rush of shoppers to area dealerships in recent weeks, but it hit a stumbling block on Friday.

On the first day dealers could register online with the government to receive reimbursement vouchers of up to $4,500 per “clunker,” the government’s computer system slowed to a crawl.

“We sent letters out to more than 20,000 car dealers, and we think all of them tried to log in at the same time,” said Ray Tyson, spokesman for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

With hundreds of car sales already negotiated, car dealers hoped to finalize the deals and send buyers driving off their lots soon after they registered Friday. But the computer slowdown delayed the process for the dealers, who spent much of the day trying to sign on. Customers who expected to pick up their finalized purchase on Monday may instead have to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday.

The slowdown added additional anxiety to the first-come first-served nature of the $1 billion program. With more than 20,000 automotive dealerships across the country, at an average of $4,000 a pop for each clunker trade-in, it averages to about 12 clunker sales per dealership.

As a result, dealers are rushing to close as many sales as they can.

The West-Herr Automotive Group, for example, has already negotiated 250 clunker deals, and Paddock Chevrolet has made nearly 100. Many more deals are in the works.

Every salesperson was busy Friday afternoon at Keller Chevrolet in Cheektowaga; Jim Murphy Pontiac, Buick and GMC in Cheektowaga; and Joe Basil Chevrolet in Depew.

“No one wants to be the first person outside of the billion that’s funded,” said Bill Wertheim, general manager at Paddock.

Wertheim said he did not expect the delay to prevent those who had already negotiated a clunker trade from getting the rebate. But those who have yet to start shopping should act soon, he said.

The overflow of customers is welcomed by many area dealers who are enduring a prolonged sales slump and have witnessed two of the Big Three automakers work through bankruptcy in the last year. Paul Stasiak, president of the Niagara Frontier Automobile Dealer’s Association, said dealerships across the region have seen a flood of interested customers.

“This ‘cash for clunkers’ has created a lot of conversation at the dealerships,” he said. “In to-day’s economy, we need every bit of traffic we can get.”

The program has many stipulations and asterisks. A “clunker” trade-in cannot be older than a 1984 model, must get 18 miles or less per gallon in combined city/highway fuel economy and be registered, insured and in use for one year. On the other side of the deal, new passenger cars that customers use the vouchers on must cost less than $45,000 and get 22 miles per gallon in combined fuel economy. (Details are at the Web site cars.gov)

If the new car has a federal fuel economy rating at least 4 mpg better than the clunker, customers qualify for a $3,500 voucher, which is sent to the car dealer on the buyer’s behalf. If the new car is rated at least 10 mpg better, customers qualify for the maximum, $4,500.

It’s different for light duty trucks and SUVs. A new truck that has a fuel economy rating at least 2 mpg higher than the trade-in truck qualifies for a $3,500 voucher; if it’s at least 5 mpg higher, it qualifies for the full $4,500.

All of the rules and regulations confused Tom Turton of Cheektowaga, who drove to Joe Basil Chevrolet hoping to make a clunker deal for his 1997 Chrysler Concord.

“I’m getting older,” said Turton, 80, of Cheektowaga. “I don’t want to have something that might break down.”

Turton thought he qualified, since the new cars he looked at averaged 10 miles per gallon better than his old car. But his car is rated at 19 miles per gallon, one more than the 18 needed to qualify. He walked away empty-handed.

“It’s a big farce,” Turton said in frustration.

But other customers found success. Arlene Mallion and Ed Webber of Hamburg are trading in their 1990 Dodge Dakota for $4,500 off of a new 2009 Chevy Cobalt at Keller Chevrolet.

“We can’t wait to get it,” Webber, 57, said. “We were really able to save some money.”

Can't tell if you are a dealer with knowledge but in our area the dealer was not interested in getting us into the program period. We have a 1989 chev truck and was buying a new chev 1/2 ton. In theory it would look like we should be able to qualify. The truck we signed up to buy disappeared and I am guessing this clunker thing is causing a shortage of vehicle like work truck that are white in color.

grandview (2006)
07-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Can't tell if you are a dealer with knowledge but in our area the dealer was not interested in getting us into the program period. We have a 1989 chev truck and was buying a new chev 1/2 ton. In theory it would look like we should be able to qualify. The truck we signed up to buy disappeared and I am guessing this clunker thing is causing a shortage of vehicle like work truck that are white in color.

Nope. This started fri 7/24 and it was in today's paper about how it's working out with the local dealers.

dishboy
07-25-2009, 08:49 PM
To bad the credit does not work for newer gas hogs that are still worth money so commercial guys could downsize to smaller trucks. I would trade down to a smaller truck if I had a $4500 voucher and save more fuel annually than grandpa trading in his 95 Cadillac.

grandview (2006)
07-25-2009, 09:00 PM
They said make your best offer then tell them you you have a piece of **** to trade it.

stuvecorp
07-25-2009, 10:35 PM
To bad the credit does not work for newer gas hogs that are still worth money so commercial guys could downsize to smaller trucks. I would trade down to a smaller truck if I had a $4500 voucher and save more fuel annually than grandpa trading in his 95 Cadillac.

Good point.

rusty_keg_3
07-27-2009, 05:14 PM
ROLF, i was thinking about it too, or buying a POS for like $300...

J&R Landscaping
08-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Going out to look at a few trucks and cars later tonight. Because my 94 F250 has a gvw of only 8600, I can't qualify for a 3/4 ton truck because they start at a 8800 gvw. Kinda sucks but I', thinking about looking at a few 1/2 ton trucks and some cars. Can't hurt to look right..

Anyone else buy a vehicle under this program??