PDA

View Full Version : NEW to business....Got some questions

richdrod
07-25-2009, 06:41 PM
I am new to the business and now investing in equipment. I am trying to figure out which brand and what size deck is the most reliable and best for the money?

dishboy
07-25-2009, 06:48 PM
I am new to the business and now investing in equipment. I am trying to figure out which brand and what size deck is the most reliable and best for the money?

You will need to be more specific to size, budget etc.

ecko
07-25-2009, 07:56 PM
First off, what do your local dealers sell?

richdrod
07-25-2009, 08:05 PM
The stores here are Lowes & Home Depot.....
they have troy bilt, john deere, toro, club cadet, swisser, and arien.

I really don't want to spend more than 4-5000.00 on the mower. The deck size I am not sure because I have been looking at 50" but don't want to run into problems with it being too big.........

Hawkshot99
07-25-2009, 08:08 PM
The stores here are Lowes & Home Depot.....
they have troy bilt, john deere, toro, club cadet, swisser, and arien.

I really don't want to spend more than 4-5000.00 on the mower. The deck size I am not sure because I have been looking at 50" but don't want to run into problems with it being too big.........

If you are running a buissness cutting grass, do not buy your mower from Lowes or Home Depot. They are a residential mower, and will not hold to the abuse it will have to go through.

To meet your price, look into a nice used walk behind. Size is going to matter on your properties.

Scagmower48
07-25-2009, 10:13 PM
The only way to answer your question properly is how many accounts do you have? What size are they? What are the plans for this business? Do you plan to grow it alot?

If he only has 2 lawns and doesn't plan to get bigger then what is wrong with a Residential mower?

There is no way to answer his ? till he answers my ?s first.

lawns Etc
07-26-2009, 12:35 AM
I see alot of small SUVs and minivans pulling a 5*8 trailer with a residential z in my area. They seem to hold up for them.

STIHL GUY
07-26-2009, 12:38 AM
you could buy a used commercial WB or ZTR for around that much

TomberLawn
07-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Look over this list of power equipment dealers in your area and see what is available. Lowes and Home Depot are not the places to shop if you are serious about this business. The mowers they carry will not last under commercial use and will be nowhere near as productive.

http://local.dailysoutherner.com/search.pg?q=lawn+mowers&z=jacksonville%2c+nc

Hawkshot99
07-26-2009, 01:14 AM
I see alot of small SUVs and minivans pulling a 5*8 trailer with a residential z in my area. They seem to hold up for them.

I have the Cub Cadet 50" version from Home Depot. I used it for 1.5 years before I got My Exmark. I put 150 hours on it(only mow part time). The thing does not hold up. I switched because the cut was getting very inconsistent, and many parts were starting to break.

cutsmartboys94
08-20-2011, 01:33 AM
Im in the same situation richdrod is. I got about 15 Residential clients and im looking to upgrade from my 21 inch walk behind. A guy on my street is selling a arien zero turn. I'm not sure what model it is, but its a 2005, 20 hp, with a 48 inch deck, and it has about 250 hours on it. Im wondering if that is a good deal for $1200

GravelyWoman
08-20-2011, 06:23 PM
I just started out this year "officially" licensed and insured! I started with a 48 inch Gravely HD ZT, commercial version. The cost was right around 4800.00 including a mulching kit.
I am part time. I have loved this mower! I had a mulching kit installed and currently have 90 hours on it since April of this year. I am currently experimenting with blades to see which gives me a better cut....so far high lift have been the way to go! I have about 20 accounts and ten require weekly mowings!

Good luck!
Gravely Woman