PDA

View Full Version : Product Recommendation

klkanders
07-25-2009, 07:24 PM
I am looking for suggestions for under-cap lighting between 2 levels of a paver patio. Will the Roberts Step-Lite product or something like it work if the majority of the caps are already glued in place? The lip on the 4" tall cap (step) is about 2". Height from lower paver area to bottom of cap is only 2-3".

Thanks,
Keith

Mike M
07-26-2009, 08:15 AM
This is a question I asked recently and I would like to join in on the question for retro-fitting applications. I was wondering if anyone makes a fixture specifically for retro-installation for under the cap, where the mounting screws go through the vertical part of the assembly and not the top. Otherwise, the vanguards worked for me by not using the top plate. In my case, this was tricky, since the "cap" was made out of bumpy antique bricks that were not smooth or level and that had fluctuations in depth from .75" to 1.5".

klkanders
07-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Mike, Check this out:

http://www.vistapro.com/Files/inst/4260-Inst.pdf

The Vista fixture has a front and a back to it. You may be able to mount this on a vertical surface. I have used many of these but I don't currently have one in front of me to check for any existing holes or space to drill your own thru the back.
I have, up to this point, only used it with its removeable plate.

Keith

Mike M
07-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Looks like the holes don't come with it but could be drilled.

Thanks!

sprinkler guy
07-26-2009, 04:36 PM
I've mounted these retro. Just drill the holes for your screws. The tricky part is running the wire now that everything is in place. Is there enough of a lip to hide the wire, or will you need to grind out a groove to sink it in to?

Lite4
07-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Keith,
I ran into an install a couple of months back that had the same problem. Instead of mounting under the cap with the traditional under cap mount light, I drilled through the riser and installed a product called IN-LIGHT. It is a round, stainless steel LED that is fully encapsulated. You would have to partially disasemble the steps to use this but it is doable. You simply drill about a 3/4" hole that the body of the light slides into and it has a nice stainless face that fits flush against the riser. They are not overly bright, but they put out more than enough light for the tread. Caution, They have the cool LED color so be careful when using with traditional halogen. If you want to know more about them contact AJ at FOLD.

Tomwilllight
07-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Will the Roberts Step-Lite product or something like it work if the majority of the caps are already glued in place?

Roberts Step-Lite is an excellent product, but it is really intended to be recessed into a precut dado the underside of the tread. I use it a lot with our local "bluestone" and it works well.

Call Randy Roberts - he answers the phone - and ask for his ideas. He's really easy to work with and very helpful.

Tom

klkanders
07-26-2009, 06:43 PM
Lots of good suggestions. Thanks Everyone!

Keith

sprinklerchris
07-26-2009, 10:57 PM
I am looking for suggestions for under-cap lighting between 2 levels of a paver patio. Will the Roberts Step-Lite product or something like it work if the majority of the caps are already glued in place? The lip on the 4" tall cap (step) is about 2". Height from lower paver area to bottom of cap is only 2-3".

Thanks,
Keith

Vista's 4260 will mount in this way. The protective lens is nice.

klkanders
07-27-2009, 12:59 AM
Chris, Thanks for your reply. Yes I have installed the Vista's on a few jobs and they are very versatile. I just wish pricing was a bit better.
I was looking for a product even more discreet and subtle. The run is about 30'
I need to get with Roberts so I can plan ahead for any similar future projects.

Keith

JoeyD
07-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Our Vanguards also have the removeable plate with a sealed lens and foam gasket to protect against weather.

http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/VANGUARD5.htm

http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/VANGUARD8.htm