PDA

View Full Version : How bad did I mess up?

95Z71
07-25-2009, 10:45 PM
I bought some Scotts's Weed and Feed at Lowes. I just found out that it's not to be used on Brumuda grass. Am out SOL, since it's already applied?

This is what I bought...

Thanks

95Z71
07-25-2009, 11:03 PM
http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?tabs=general&proId=prod70020&itemId=cat50044&id=prod70020

Pro-Scapes
07-25-2009, 11:45 PM
OOPS... Good luck with that. Did you apply it at full rate ? I would think in about 5-10 days you will find a nice yellow lawn.

95Z71
07-25-2009, 11:53 PM
I had it an the 5.5 setting...It won't kill it will it?

Shasta Lake Landscaping
07-26-2009, 02:38 AM
Eh, depends on how sensitive your grass is imo
If you have a well developed lawn and your not in drought or let it go to drought you should be ok,
just keep it watered.

95Z71
07-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Anyone else ever done this???

Think Green
07-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Did you, in fact, use the Scott's Bonus S weed-n-feed?
This Product Contains Atrazine, and is used down south on DORMANT BERMUDA!
The results will be devastating at the higher application rate. Bermuda is very resiliant and will take time to recover with watering....
Keep us Posted!

www.southernag.com/PDF%20Files/atraz.pdf

Pro-Scapes
07-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Yeah I would keep it well watered too. I certainly hope its irrigated.

Using it on domant bermuda is one thing to kill off any weeds. When the grass is dormant it will not uptake the atrazine. We use atrazine to help control weeds and emerging small patches of bermuda in st aug and centipied lawns

If the lawn is well established you MIGHT be ok as bermuda can be very tough but I think the lawn will get pretty crispy. Watch it daily for signs that its going pale. Not that there will be much you can do right now.

greendoctor
07-26-2009, 02:28 PM
Atrazine on bermuda is kind of iffy. I know I do not ever do it. Bermuda does not brown out for winter here. The few times I did do it, the bermuda turned really yellow for a month and that is with heavy irrigation. Your best bet is to keep the area well watered until the bermuda recovers.

CarolinaPro
07-27-2009, 10:14 PM
I would think if you immediately irrigate the entire yard for at least several hours you may be able to dilute the chemicals to the point where your Bermudagrass may survive fairly unscathed.

95Z71
07-27-2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks, that is the kind of assurance I want to hear...I haven't noticed anything turning yellow. Probably be a few more days...What do you think?

CarolinaPro
07-28-2009, 10:06 AM
The odds are against you. Only time will tell, but the more water you dump on the grass, the better. Let us know what happens.
Posted via Mobile Device

Runner
07-28-2009, 10:58 AM
The best thing would be to have done was to get some activated charcoal and apply it, but it's probably too late for that now, as you have been irrigating it in.

Chilehead
07-28-2009, 02:59 PM
One time I accidentally applied atrazine to bermuda. In 5-7 days it yellowed, but 3-4 weeks later it was fine. Oh--the weeds were dead too. Like others have said, keep it watered.

EVM
07-28-2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks, that is the kind of assurance I want to hear...I haven't noticed anything turning yellow. Probably be a few more days...What do you think?

Did you apply a granule weed and feed? It is hard to get granule broad leaf herbicide to control anything. Unless you wet the lawn before applying? Anyways, start watering.

95Z71
07-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Yes it was a granule weed and feed...Should it have already started yellowing? Luckly I didn't imediately water the lawn. At we gotten a little rain too.

Think Green
07-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Atrazine and or Simazine is absorbed by the roots into the host plant and weed.
It metabolizes into materials that are consumed by the host, and the weeds in target are affected by the chemical. Both are water immersible chemicals and granular, when watered in, will take a few days to show results. Label states at least 1/2 inch of water per 1,000sq.ft. to move the chemical into the top 2 inches of the soil. That is 312 gallons of water give or take per 1,000 sq.ft. to achieve that amount of water.
Keep the water flowing to this lawn and if all else fails, apply some ammonium sulfate at 5lbs. per 1,000 sq.ft. for extra help in recovery. Keep that water flowing though!! The ammonia derived from sulfur will work together in restoring that lawn.
I hit my lawn yesterday morning with MSMA for crabgrass--followed an hour later with ammonium sulfate at 5# per K. The areas of crab----are already brown and curling. The AMS will recover the yellowing areas in about a week..

95Z71
08-16-2009, 12:21 AM
Update: Well my grass really didn't see any i'll affects at all. It never did turn yellow, maybe lightened the color a tad, but all is good. I put some 13-13-13 down last week and it is starting to take shape.

First question: How do you get the bermuda to spread?

Second: I layed sod down in my front yard earlier this spring, far as I know it's all the same, but some spots starts heading seeds when the grass is only 1.5 inches and other parts of the grass doesn't? Looks better without out heading, any ideas?

Thanks

Think Green
08-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Bermuda will grow in the worse of soils. The gemmick is getting it to flourish in those envormnments. NPK, are the macro nutrients that are needed for proper growth, but one or more soils could be lacking in the micro nutrients. Calcium and Magnesium deficiencies followed by iron are the most problematic areas to watch. Nitrogen is needed in large amounts per growing month for bermuda......4-6 lbs. per 1,ooo sq.ft. of actual nitrogen and not in the lbs. of the fertilizer bag. P & K are needed in lesser amounts as they are leached from the soil slowly. Nitrogen will leach, nitrificate, and volatilize out quickly, unless watered into the soil. Volatilization takes place as soon as you apply it to moist soils. Getting bermuda started requires fertilizer like what you applied.......13/13/13, 15/15/15, 19/19/19, etc. these are balanced ferts. They will dissolve quickly and are high in salts. Watch your salt level on your soil type!!! After you have established a stand of bermuda and it has been mowed 3-4 times, convert over to urea (46/0/0 or 33/0/0-Ammonium nitrate). These ferts will throw growth to the rhizomes and stolons that should be emerging. Water regularly.........one inch per week of water.!!!!!
This is my basic advice to get the stuff going. Ammonium Sulfate 25/0/0/24S is great to keep the color green.
As far as your bermuda seed heading at 1.5 inches tall, I bet you sodded with Tifway 419, which is commercially grown all over the south as the replacement turf of Tifgreen, Tifblue. 419 is a great turf in the sport industry and golf course management. It requires less water, mowing, and fertilizers to keep it going. Lower mowing heights and heavy wear resistance..................less disease and insect resistant.

Do a soil sample to get a idea of what is lacking in fertilizers. Lime indications will be advised. Salinity and O.M. are sometimes detected for you.