PDA

View Full Version : Brake wear?

mike lane lawn care
07-26-2009, 02:49 AM
Hey guys, what kind of milleage is everyone getting from their brakes? I have 57k on my sierra 2500HD. I recently started noticing that the brakes weren't working as well as they used to, and started feeling a slight pulsing when stopping. So today I bought new front rotors, pads, and shocks(not that they have anything to do with braking, but figured while i was in there) I replaced the shocks and rotors, but the pads still looked new and were far, far away from the wear sensor, so I left them in there. The new rotors gave me back the lost stopping power, the old ones seemed a bit worn, and glazed over, which surprised me because those rotors are only a year old

Should I go back in and replace the pads too? or leave them on a shelf till next year when they've worn down more, because the factory ones still look new.

next weekends project is rear brakes and shocks, and I'm wondering the same thing, my mechanic told me at the last oil change that my rear rotors were glazed over and would need replacing soon. will it hurt the new rotors if i use the existing pads even though they're in good shape?

thanks guys

seabee1
07-26-2009, 09:19 AM
never replace rotor's with out replacing pads,just like putting on a new pair of pants with month old Short's .just not right !:nono: the old pad's are cooked from use and wear patterns will not match .you can put new pad's on old rotor's if you turn them or break the glazed surface with a ball hone to put a non directional surface on them for optimum griping power .

Jason Rose
07-26-2009, 10:29 AM
I agree, why in the heck would you want to trash a new pair of rotors with old pads?? I'm actually suprised that combination actually worked better than before.

Plus, I can't believe that the rotors were "worn out" and the pads weren't. I'd have the rotors turned and put them back on, with new pads of course. Don't forget the anti-squeak goop on the backs of the pads.

Out of curiosity, how much $$ did the rotors run you? I'd bet they weren't cheap! I just bought a 2500HD myself a few weeks ago, but mine only has 10,000 miles now.

mike lane lawn care
07-26-2009, 11:17 AM
the rotors were $70 each, so not too bad. I'll go ahead and put the new pads on today then. anyone have any tips on how to get the pads out of the caliper? cause when I tried yesterday, they wouldn't come out, and I really didn't want to try and force them off.

pusher21
07-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Just hammer them out.

nosparkplugs
07-26-2009, 05:08 PM
First "good rotors" for a 2500 should be more than $70bucks,premium rotors should be $100 each, along with heavy duty brake pads should run $120 per setOEM rotors generally were like crap. I would "annie up"for some premium rotor's, and heavy duty towing brake pads, preferably semi-metallic. You cannot expect more than 50,000 miles out of OEM rotors or pads if your towing heavy weight.

I would avoid Autozone or Advance Auto since their rotor & brake pads wear like crap.

I use Napa their more expensive you get higher quality rotors.
Posted via Mobile Device

Petr51488
07-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Yea, i agree with the other guy.. Rotors for your truck should be wayyy more then 70 bucks. I bought a cheapy set for my 1500 for roughly the same price.... I had to slam on the breaks a few times with a load, and they warped them. They were $hit. When i would stop i would feel a bumpy stop. I bought better rotors and that solved them. Pads on these trucks should last a long time. If you could i would go with OEM pads and rotors. The last thing i would mess with is stopping. Their expensive (i think 400 for rotors) but i would pay it knowing they'll last me 60k+ miles New shocks allready at 57k miles?

mike lane lawn care
07-27-2009, 08:22 AM
so i got the new pads on, I used premium semi metallic pads, they were the best ones that the local auto store had(small shop run by an older guy and his son, they're brilliant) the guy gave me the wholesale price for the rotors, so I got a good deal on them, with a lifetime warranty. I had to order the rear rotors, and for some reason they're almost twice as expensive.

And yea, I replaced the shocks, and went ahead or put rear ones on too while i was in the preventative maintenance mood. and the ones i put on are soooo much better than the factory ones, even when new