PDA

View Full Version : Path Lights in a sand base?

lschwisow
07-26-2009, 08:29 AM
I am looking at installing many path lights in a landscape that is 100% sand. My concern has to do with getting these lights to remain vertical. Should I be looking at something other than the standard 9" mounting stakes or a method of compacting the sand? These lights will be about 21" tall and in an area that experiences wind gusts.

klkanders
07-26-2009, 09:26 AM
I remembered a prior discussion on this. After a short search I found this:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=203908&highlight=stakes&page=4

You could use a permapost or make something similar yourself. Another option is using a longer maufacturer stake like Kichlers.

Do you only do landscape lighting? I am not far from you.

Keith

Pro-Scapes
07-26-2009, 10:35 AM
The thread Kieth linked to has all the info you should need. Perma post type mount and make sure you tamp everything back into the hole as you backfill every few inches. I use a 2 pound hammer upside down to tamp it or a similar tool.

Depending on the fixtueres you use ... you may be able to find a post with a cap to match. Unique has one with a brass cap.. Cast has a nice one with a bronze cap..

David Gretzmier
07-26-2009, 05:00 PM
You might also consider using an 18x18 paver. I have used a hammer drill to drill out a 1/2-5/8" hole, thread the path stem through and use a 1/2 inch galv cap on the underside. bury the paver just belowthe sand. it takes a good 3-4 inches off a 21 inch path, but it is not going anywhere. I have also used this after a few pull ups by local kids on vandalism issues.

Tomwilllight
07-26-2009, 05:15 PM
HK offers a 12" tripod spike that is stable in sand. Check it out at: http://www.hklightinggroup.com/AccSpecificationSheet.aspx?ItemID=1&CataLogID=6
Tom

JoeyD
07-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Unique Zero-G-Docking post AKA Perma Post with Brass Cap! Also available with standard plastic cap.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/lighting/ZG.jpg

djt22
07-27-2009, 06:00 PM
I have heard of a company using there 1 gallon planting pots filled with concrete and a ground stake in the middle of it. Don't know how cost effective it is but they do all there lights this way for fear of not staying upright.

JoeyD
07-27-2009, 06:27 PM
That seems like more work than its worth and probably unsightly. Figure you would have to do something with the wire so that you could get it in and or out should the fixture fail.......then you have to do something to hide the look of the concrete. Not saying its not a good idea just saying it may have some downside.

I am racking my brain thinking of an option for you. A block like David mentioned could work.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-27-2009, 07:56 PM
The trident spike that Tom spoke of from HK (or Auroralight) should work pretty well in most sand soils, unless it is really unstable and not packed in well. I would go there before I tried the permapost route.

If the sand soils are really loose then you will probably need to create something like a concrete base with a post attachment out the top. I would use a large paver stone before trying to pour my own.

Best of luck

Pro-Scapes
07-27-2009, 08:13 PM
The cost of that trident is around 3 times the cost of the perma post. Burt from Accent and I installed about 100 fixtures on permaposts and a dozen more large cast china hats on casts version of it.

No issues with either one and they went in QUICK and easy into pure sand at a beach front commercial building. We visited the site together this spring and every light looked exactly where we left it.

Dreams To Designs
07-28-2009, 09:23 AM
Billy, must be nice to not have to worry about the ground freezing and frost heave.

The longer, metal stakes, like what Cast uses on their fixtures, stand up very well along the Jersey shore in wind and sand. Certain areas may call for a longer stake, but that is often all that is necessary. Occasionally in a high traffic area, the quick set concrete in a container method, keep the fixture from being knocked over, but allows some flexibility.

Kirk

Pro-Scapes
07-28-2009, 12:03 PM
I would probably trade the frost and winters for this insane heat we get down here and the what I like to call "bugs on steroids"

djt22
07-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Joey I have not seen how they do it only described and my thinking is they leave the stake sticking up out of the concrete in such that the wire runs across the top of the concrete so they have to dig a little deeper hole to get the top of the stake at ground level.