PDA

View Full Version : My website

Travis E
07-26-2009, 12:06 PM
I just designed my own website yesterday with a template from microsoft office live small business. I am happy with it, its basic, gets to the point. I am still adding more pictures and such but it gets the point accross. Please take a look at it and let me know anything i should change, I can handle the truth so please let me know! Thanks!

www.elwerlawncare.com

grandview (2006)
07-26-2009, 03:43 PM
See if you can put your phone number on the header so it's on every page.

MiguelTX
07-27-2009, 05:36 AM
See if you can put your phone number on the header so it's on every page.
I agree. No matter what page they're looking at on your site, your phone number (and email address) should be visible.

I like the fact that you were able to keep everything "above the fold." Looks nice but I would get rid of the weather widget (IMHO). Maybe replace it with bullet points of services you offer instead of paragraph form like it's now. People looking for a service (lawn care, pest control, mechanic, etc) tend to like a bulleted list as opposed to reading block(s) of text.

Since your company name is your own name, why not put your nice pic on your front (home) page? It's a great image, professional, and you look "employable" if that's a word. :)

If you can afford it, get some kind of script that can handle capturing visitor's email address. Aweber is a very popular autoresponder but there are a lot out there. Then just say something like "enter your email address for valuable tips and coupons" (or whatever you want). Then set up a series of autoresponders that go out every week for whatever length of time you need/want. Each email they receive from you will have valuable information but more importantly it will have your contact information at the bottom. Since they might never visit your site again at least you're keeping in touch with them and silently building a relationship.

tinman
07-29-2009, 08:17 PM
I just designed my own website yesterday with a template from microsoft office live small business. I am happy with it, its basic, gets to the point. I am still adding more pictures and such but it gets the point accross. Please take a look at it and let me know anything i should change, I can handle the truth so please let me know! Thanks!

www.elwerlawncare.com
Looks fine to me. I would suggest adding a blog or treating your lawn tips section like a blog and update daily if possible or at least a few times a week. Content is king.

Travis E
07-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Looks fine to me. I would suggest adding a blog or treating your lawn tips section like a blog and update daily if possible or at least a few times a week. Content is king.

Thanks for the advice, I'll do more updating this weekend!

MiguelTX
07-30-2009, 04:03 AM
Be careful with this. Many, many people start blogs with every intention to blog a few times per week. After a month or so the posts start slowing down. I'm not saying you're going to abandon your blog but if you DO start a blog make sure there is no "date stamp" on your posts. I can't tell you how many blogs I've been to where the date is over a year old. Also, if you're posting tips about watering your lawn and it's the middle of winter your website visitors will be confused. It's a lot more work to keep a blog up-to-date than most people think. Just my .02 but I must say your site looks great.

tinman
07-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Be careful with this. Many, many people start blogs with every intention to blog a few times per week. After a month or so the posts start slowing down. I'm not saying you're going to abandon your blog but if you DO start a blog make sure there is no "date stamp" on your posts. I can't tell you how many blogs I've been to where the date is over a year old. Also, if you're posting tips about watering your lawn and it's the middle of winter your website visitors will be confused. It's a lot more work to keep a blog up-to-date than most people think. Just my .02 but I must say your site looks great.

Miguel is right . It is time consuming to do just short posts. It is a big turn off to people to see a site that has not been updated in 4 months or something. No time stamp is a good idea if you are not sure you will update at least twice a week.

blc yardworks
07-30-2009, 03:27 PM
I think your website looks pretty good. one thing to think about that my web guy told me. it's great to have a website, but if you don't pay for some type of web presence nobody can find it. What i'm talking about is search engine optimization. when joe blow goes to look for a landscaper in your area, he goes to google and types: landscaper Delphos (or something of that nature) are you there first or on the first page? and what about the other major search engines? i have a guy who is pretty good and cheap for that stuff. let me know if you are interested. ill shoot you his contact information. my site has been up for about a week and he just started doing the search optimizing but you if you go to google and type "yorkville landscaping" im on the first page at the bottom. he is currently working on getting me up there for other areas.

MiguelTX
07-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Here's a quick tip before hiring an SEO person: go to Google and search for SEO and the area that this person serves. Like if they say they work with businesses in Dallas, Texas then Google "search engine optimization Dallas" or "SEO [your zip code]". If they say they can put your website on the 1st page of Google then they should have their own website on Google's 1st page for the service they're selling. Most SEO people will tell you to Google their name, like "Bob and Jane SEO in Dallas." Duh! If you knew their name then why would you search for SEO services?! :dizzy:

You want your customers to find YOU using a generic term(s). There's lots of free info out there on SEO and I would start with Google's Free Webmaster Tools and make sure your site is indexed. If it's not indexed then SEO work is futile.