PDA

View Full Version : Clover Taking Over, please help

lambdin
07-26-2009, 04:59 PM
We'll last fall i promised myself i would take better care of my yard so I winterized it for the first time, then in early spring i applied a spring fertilizer, it all seemed worth it until about 3 weeks ago when the good grass seemed to run out of gas and the clover started, now it is everywhere with its little white flowers covering the entire yard, I'm totally lost here, I live in southern indiana my yard is mostly tall fescue and bluegrass, I normally mow at 3.75" but lately been 3" to cut the white flowers. please help:confused:

ECO Landscaping
07-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Try Speed zone or Red Zone it comes pre mixed at most feed stores. Or 1.5 oz per gal of water. Shoud only take one app to kill it off.

lambdin
07-26-2009, 11:27 PM
will it kill the grass also?

RigglePLC
07-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Try Ortho Weed b Gone Max. Works nice on clover. Use the maximum rate listed on the label. Repeat as needed.

ECO Landscaping
07-27-2009, 12:03 AM
No it won't kill the grass. Works great.
Posted via Mobile Device

orlawncaresvc
07-27-2009, 12:31 AM
you wanna try WEED STOP. you can get it at just about any hardware store, shoot even walmart has it. its a bottle that you connect to your water hose. really works wonders. especially on that stuff you got going. and you might wanna get that taken care of asap. because it is causing you to cut your fescue grass shorter and fescue grass shouldn't be cut too low. hope this helps.:)

Whitey4
07-27-2009, 01:13 AM
hose applications generally are not as effective as sprays.... just follow the label, and don't spray when it will be very hot, as turf burn may occur. Ortho weed b gone will work fine, two apps 2 weks aopart, but watch the temps so you don't burn the turf, and don't apply too heavilly.... just a misting is what you want, not a soaking.

lambdin
07-27-2009, 06:33 AM
great , I'll give it a shot, 2 acres aint gonna be easy, will it come back next year?

Smallaxe
07-27-2009, 09:36 AM
great , I'll give it a shot, 2 acres aint gonna be easy, will it come back next year?

Haste makes waste, in many cases. 2A. is a lot of ground to cover and clover can be difficult. Fall is the best time to spray, because the plants a sucking in everythng they can and storing it in their roots.
I would do it a bit at a time, and monitor results, rather than do it all at once and end up with disappointment.

Smallaxe
07-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Oh, yes it will come back next year, if any of those white heads produce mature seed.