PDA

View Full Version : Trimec Plus mixed with Acclaim?

HenryB
07-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Anyone ever try this? Throwing some ideas. Might be a decent mix. Any experience?

greendoctor
07-26-2009, 06:42 PM
No good. Phenoxy herbicides such as the Trimec in Trimec Plus cancels out the effect of Acclaim on grassy weeds. If you need to do both broadleaves and grasses, I suggest Turflon Ester + Acclaim.

HenryB
07-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Thank You You saved me a lot of time and experimenting.:waving:

greendoctor
07-26-2009, 07:37 PM
I am only suggesting this because I actually use that tank mix on zoysia here. The intended target is grassy weeds, but a happy side effect is control of broadleaves like spurge, oxalis and clovers.

turf hokie
07-26-2009, 07:55 PM
I believe the Plus part of trimec plus is MSMA for crabgrass.

greendoctor
07-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Sure is. Can't think of a reason why someone would want to apply MSMA to cool season grasses with good alternatives available.

turf hokie
07-26-2009, 08:23 PM
I agree completely, I am stuck with Acclaim or RTU weed-b-gone with Quinclorac.:hammerhead:

I mix eliminate with acclaim

But in NJ I would use Drive.

greendoctor
07-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Eliminate is a phenoxy Three Way. There is no Drive or quinclorac allowed in Hawaii at all. My rationale for selecting one herbicide over the other is efficacy on the target weeds and side effects on the desirable turf. I have seen one guy who should have done more thinking burn holes in a zoysia lawn right before a big party on the property with MSMA. Got the same weeds killed with Turflon and no damage or discoloration of the grass.

turf hokie
07-27-2009, 07:18 AM
Eliminate is a phenoxy Three Way.

We have been using eliminate and spraying acclaim together for about 3 years, ever since they pulled chlopyralid off the market. Results have not been different at all. We mix to go after the crabgrass and put the eliminate as a bonus.

I always thought it was the 2-4d that was the problem with acclaim, since eliminate does not have it, no problems.

upidstay
07-27-2009, 09:16 AM
I believe it says on the Acclaim label NOT to mix it with 24d products. Does not completely cancel it out, but does reduce the efficacy of both.

(warning! geek content: this is called an antagonistic reaction)

ro1207
07-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Why not use Q4, Quincept, or Momentum Q? These are all pre-mixed broadleaf herbicides with Drive already added in. No need to mix and you won't damage turf. When using MSMA or Acclaim the risk of burn is very high at any temperature. (Note: Q4 only 0.75% rate of Quinclorac. Quincept & Momentum Q have the full load of Quinclorac)

Whitey4
07-27-2009, 07:05 PM
I agree completely, I am stuck with Acclaim or RTU weed-b-gone with Quinclorac.:hammerhead:

I mix eliminate with acclaim

But in NJ I would use Drive.

Why is it that most quinclorac chemicals are not listed with the DEC, but RTU weed b gone is? Case in point, drive....

turf hokie
07-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Why is it that most quinclorac chemicals are not listed with the DEC, but RTU weed b gone is? Case in point, drive....

I guess Lowes and Ortho have a better representation than the rest of us. I called the DEC because I did not think Quinclorac was allowed at all. Nope the homeowners can get because it is a lower AI. But then, just double the dose:nono:

Drive would be the choice here if only I could use it in friggin NY

ro1207, our hands are tied with legislation, our only options in NY are MSMA or Acclaim for crabgrass post emergent control.

lilmarvin4064
07-28-2009, 03:24 PM
greendoctor is right. You probably shouldn't be mixing Eliminate w/Acclaim. MCPA, Mecoprop-p, 2,4-D or 2,4-DP will reduce the effectiveness. You could mix in some Garlon, Turflon, Spotlight, Banvel, or Confront (on commercial properties).

I believe Weed-b-gone w/crabgrass control is the same as Quincept or Momentum Q.

IME, MSMA will burn cool season grasses much easier than Acclaim will.

upidstay
07-29-2009, 10:28 AM
I used acclai for years and only burned when I sprayed stressed turf. And that was my stupidity. I personally never use MSMA as it is waaaay to hot of a chemical. sed it a couple of times, thought I was being careful, and ended up burning the turf.

ron mexico75
08-11-2009, 02:08 PM
So what is the best for crabgrass and broadleaf post emergent control? I have used 2,4-D and MSMA mixed with good results. I have read where you guys said MSMA is not preferred due to the potential to burn, especially in tall fescue. Maybe I have been lucky and should use something else.

What say you?

indyturf
08-11-2009, 05:56 PM
I tried mixing 3-way with MSMA a few years ago and had a mess! the MSMA turmed to a gummy blob and stuck to the bottom of the tank. not a fun job cleaning it out! PBI Gordon must have a special way of mixing??

VARMIT COMMISSION
08-11-2009, 05:58 PM
I mix it all the time. Just remember to add the msma last.

Falcon50EX
08-11-2009, 07:02 PM
No good. Phenoxy herbicides such as the Trimec in Trimec Plus cancels out the effect of Acclaim on grassy weeds. If you need to do both broadleaves and grasses, I suggest Turflon Ester + Acclaim.

I have been looking for Turflon and can not get it in Souther GA. Lesco no good called today and my local farm store no good any help. I would like to use it to add too Fusilade II to kill off some bermudagrass in zoysiagrass.

Thanks for any help