PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Spruce Budworm fight...

bkpatt
07-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Any suggestions? Never run across this critter before. Three ornamental spruce trees in a mulch bed beside the driveway, one started turning brown and then in just a few weeks looked awful. This is pretty brutal clay on a hillside.

Thought I would fert it strong and give it some time since this was season 3 and would be harder to match size. Upon closer inspection though, there were clumps of needles like cocoons, and then saw some moving. There were little black/brown worms in them and making them. Then once I saw the first one, I realized there were literally hundreds. I threw on some gloves and gleaned the tree of as many as I could, but I noticed a few on the next one.

I've read these little suckers blow from tree to tree as they make their little cotton fibers for attaching to the tree. Cleaned tree 2 up, and it's still good and green with only a few tiny cocoons found.

Just looking for any tips/suggestions, I don't do big tree work so these are way new to me getting on tiny trees...

hughmcjr
07-27-2009, 12:09 AM
We have them out west here in Oregon, better known as the Western SPruce budworm. IN areas where they are an issue it is because logging companies replaced native Ponderosa pines with trees that could make "more money" as in fir trees. Well they get disease more easily and then that makes them more susceptible to bugs like the WSbud worm. Bottom line is greedy man outsmarted himself. Leave native trees alone and don't bring in non native species in the above case.

In your situation, it seems it maybe just part of a cycle that occurs every so many years back east according to what I read, but I would still be concerned. Let me guess, the trees are COlorado SPruce?