PDA

View Full Version : Need to kill crabgrass & grow grass soon so I can get some money!

hummingbird3d
07-26-2009, 09:29 PM
I have one customer who wants a lawn badly. I took care of the 1st step by using my line trimmer to clear out so much of the crabgrass that was all over the property. One month later the crabgrass is coming back. The customer has ruled out using sod since it will cost too much, so we will be using some type of seeding. I was thinking of using a weed killer to kill the rest of the crabgrass, but I don't know want to use one that kills for a whole year before I can grow grass over it.

Question:

What weed killer can I use for specifically for crabgrass and then plant the grass seed soon after?

To me finding a good solution is important because then I'll have a lawn to cut and therefore generate income from. Thanks in advance.

ECO Landscaping
07-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Speed zone Q-4 or Red Zone Q-4 it takes a few time kill all of it.

Good luck

Whitey4
07-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Do it right. Wait another 4 weeks, then kill the entire lawn with Roundup.

Two weeks later, remove debris with a dethatcher, get the lawn down to dirt (no thatch) and renovate it. It is MUCH cheaper than sodding, but when done right, with a little patience, works freakin great. The fall is the time for lawn renovations.... much better than the spring.

Be sure to use a good CG preventer next spring, there will still be plenty of CG seeds left in the soil.

Smallaxe
07-27-2009, 09:32 PM
The crabgrass will will continue to germinate - right along with your overseeding.

Where are you in California? Will you have a season in which the CG dies and no new seeds germinate?

I would rather mow CG than dirt. Strategies are seasonal.

Roundup - until nothing more grows, then overseed. (Good strategy in your climate?)