PDA

View Full Version : Perennial installation..spring or fall??

New2TheGreenIndustry
07-27-2009, 11:17 AM
I am looking to put in some perennials and wanted to know what time was best for this. I was under the assumption fall was the best time, but a book was saying plant in spring. What is your take? I am looking to plant Canna, Verbena, Veronica, Sedum, Coneflower, Daylilies, Blackeyed Susan, & Shasta Daisy.

Kate Butler
07-27-2009, 08:27 PM
If the plants are potted it doesn't matter when you install (assuming they can be watered weekly until they root in the new soil). Be sure and use at least 3" of high quality shredded mulch (not chunks) to keep evaporation down. Potted stock has already been through whatever transplant shock they will experience (being dug out of the ground and put in pots), so planting time is irrelevant.

Dreams To Designs
07-28-2009, 09:47 AM
As Kate has said, if the plants are in containers, plant anytime the ground is not frozen as long as you can water correctly.

If you are going to dig and move or divide, some plants are better done in the fall while others will benefit from transplanting in the spring.

Kirk

White Gardens
07-28-2009, 10:48 AM
The only plants that I was taught to transplant in the fall is Peonies.

Some Hosta growers will suggest to split them in the early fall also, but that's up for debate.

Otherwise it's been suggested to do all your perennial transplants in the spring, but that doesn't include bulbs or woody ornamentals.

Generally with bulbs, such as the Iris, I wait until they are done blooming so energy is going into the bulb and not the flower after it has been moved.

IDK, I'm probably just beating a dead horse with this post.

Kate Butler
07-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Actually another point to be made. It isn't that you CAN'T plant bulbs (tulips, daffodils, et al) in the Spring, it's that it will screw with their internal clocks and will bloom out of their normal order THAT SEASON ONLY. The following year, they will bloom at the normal time.