PDA

View Full Version : Lesco Transition Blend or Scotts Southern Gold?

1999frontier
07-27-2009, 04:26 PM
My wife and I just bought our first home. Our yard looks ok, but its not as full as I would like in the front. I'm not sure what type of grass or mixture is already there. I'll try to post some pics in the next couple of days. Its a mix of sun and shade. There are a lot of bare spots in the back right behind the house where there is no sun b/c of the trees. I was thinking fescue but not sure. Also, I want some winter color so if I went with fescue I would seed in the fall and can I also seed annual ryegrass for the winter color? I know fescue is a cool season grass. I live in eastern NC, Nash county.

bigslick7878
07-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Love Southern Gold,good stuff.

Never used the Lesco.

cpa4t9r
07-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Have used both - Southern Gold when it still was "Confederate" and Lesco Transition with good results - not sure but I think they may rotate the fescue types from year to year. At any rate, the more diverse your stand, the better you'll be with drought/disease/appearance Don't know if you have sand or clay in Nash Co. I like to use a blend w/TTTF and the new drought tolerant KBG to help with dead spots/recovery in TTTF - we have clay soils up here - have had EXCELLENT results.

My own yard is full sun in front and 50/50 shade in back which sounds similar to yours. Pretty diverse mix of the TTTF/KBG in front - back the KBG has really taken over - probably 75/25. I'm planning on adding some fine fescue to help with shade/disease in a month or so.

If you go with cool season, no need to use the ryegrass - you'll still have color over the winter.

1999frontier
08-06-2009, 12:59 PM
I emailed a guy at my "local" johndeerescapes (50 miles away) and he said the transition blend was their best seller. He said the Southern Gold would probably be ok but stay away from pennington seed. I haven't actually measured my lawn but my whole lot is only .30 or close to that of an acre including house, driveway, etc. How much seed would I need? The Southern Gold says the 25lb bag covers 10,000 sq. ft. and the Lesco 25lb. covers 8,000 sq. ft.

bigslick7878
08-06-2009, 02:19 PM
I emailed a guy at my "local" johndeerescapes (50 miles away) and he said the transition blend was their best seller. He said the Southern Gold would probably be ok but stay away from pennington seed. I haven't actually measured my lawn but my whole lot is only .30 or close to that of an acre including house, driveway, etc. How much seed would I need? The Southern Gold says the 25lb bag covers 10,000 sq. ft. and the Lesco 25lb. covers 8,000 sq. ft.

.30 is a lot different than "almost an acre" unless you have a 20k square foot house that cant be right.

An acre is about 43k sq ft.

The 10k coverage is for overseeding, and even when I overseed I use about 50% more than that.

You need to measure the actual lawn aree and then figure it out using the bag recommendations plus 50%.

1999frontier
08-06-2009, 02:25 PM
I was just saying it was close to a 1/3 of an acre and even if it wasn't a house on it just strictly land then a little over a bag of 25lb would be enough. I guess I shouldn't have posted that.

1999frontier
08-12-2009, 08:45 AM
I was at Home Depot the other day looking at the Lesco and the tag said it was tested something of 2007 and it expired 08-2009. I don't know much about seed, but I don't think I will be buying that because of the day and how long its been sitting there.

bigslick7878
08-12-2009, 07:41 PM
I was at Home Depot the other day looking at the Lesco and the tag said it was tested something of 2007 and it expired 08-2009. I don't know much about seed, but I don't think I will be buying that because of the day and how long its been sitting there.

They sell Lesco at the HD near you??

And seed is usually good for about a year, and then after that the germination drops off little by little.