PDA

View Full Version : Commercial-grade push mower for $300?

fpg
04-18-2002, 08:09 PM
Okay, I think I might be able to convince my "bank" (father, big wig at wal-mart corporate) to let me but a new push mower from somewhere OTHER than Wally World. I've been looking at the John Deere JS60. Any thoughts on this particular mower/brand? For $300 it seems to be the best choice so far. Also, I will be mowing about 3 days a week this summer so I'll need something rugged,, which I've heard the JD's are. Once again, thanks for any advice/comments.

Pat

TFL
04-25-2002, 11:57 PM
It will depend on how many hours on these three days you will use it I have 4 JS60 they are good mowers. IF you ever plan on mowing more i would go with a JX but they are around $700. The JX have oil filters and the Kawisaki engine.

Holloway Lawns
04-28-2002, 04:26 PM
Toro Personal Pace is a good one.

bruces
04-29-2002, 09:36 AM
I just bought a Toro 21" personal pace for $359 with 6.5 hp engine. Not true commercial, but seems good for the back yards I will be using it on.

I believe that is a promotional price.

derekarbeiter
04-01-2008, 07:04 PM
The JS 60 is a great mower. It has the toughest steel deck for a push mower on the planet. However, I dont like the briggs engine and all of the plastic parts on it. I have had mine since 2003 and I have put a Honda GCV 160 engine on it(SWEET) and have replaced the rear plastic cover with sheet metal. I took the front plastic off. Looks better. As for everything else, the deck height adjustment is extremely durable and easy to use. The cut is great, THE BEST mulcher. VERY, VERY durable.:)

cgaengineer
04-01-2008, 11:57 PM
If I aint mistaken, the JS60 deck is built by Snapper...this is why it is so tough. The tranny in that model is not up to commercial use in my opinion (Plastic), you would be better off getting a Snapper HiVac with the tried and true pulley tranny and aluminum differential.

yungman
04-02-2008, 01:09 AM
The JS 60 is a great mower. It has the toughest steel deck for a push mower on the planet. However, I dont like the briggs engine and all of the plastic parts on it. I have had mine since 2003 and I have put a Honda GCV 160 engine on it(SWEET) and have replaced the rear plastic cover with sheet metal. I took the front plastic off. Looks better. As for everything else, the deck height adjustment is extremely durable and easy to use. The cut is great, THE BEST mulcher. VERY, VERY durable.:)

Is the Honda GCV160 that much better??!! It is supposed to be just a consummer grade engine like the B & S. What is the difference that you notice?

Can you just swarp the engine or you have to modify something?

jkason
04-02-2008, 01:04 PM
If you are looking for a commercial mower for less than $600.00 - you are wasting your time.

All these mowers that are priced under that are designed for homeowners - the more money, the more features. Not necessarily more durability.

derekarbeiter
04-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Yes, I like the Honda GC series better. They are only a homeowner model but they start easier, are smoother, have more power, and are built better. They do share similar components with the commercial GX series. The honda gc series are interchangeable with the briggs quantum. No modifications, no drilling holes. And the JD JS series mowers are NOT built by snapper they were made at Deere's own factory in Greenville TN. I agree about the weak tranny, but mine is the push model (Less parts, more dependable, more excercise).

cgaengineer
04-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Yes, I like the Honda GC series better. They are only a homeowner model but they start easier, are smoother, have more power, and are built better. They do share similar components with the commercial GX series. The honda gc series are interchangeable with the briggs quantum. No modifications, no drilling holes. And the JD JS series mowers are NOT built by snapper they were made at Deere's own factory in Greenville TN. I agree about the weak tranny, but mine is the push model (Less parts, more dependable, more excercise).

Well the deck looks very similar to the Snapper Easy Line and I know for a fact that the swivel caster JohnDeere (JS35) deck is made by Snapper so I was thinking that one was as well. If they share the same tranny it wont last.

tdf
04-13-2008, 08:44 PM
They are in fact made by snapper. They may be final assembled somewhere else. I work for Lowes and have talked to the Deere folks about these mowers and they confirmed that they are manufactured by Snapper. We actuallly took one out of the box for display once and it had cardboard with Snapper printed on it. This was the last year models. Thisyears JDs have the mowmentum drive system and that may be added at JD. It is a nice mower for personal residential use. I own a JS20 and a Toro Super Recycler with personal pace and I think the Toro would be better suited for light commercial use. My Toro came from a dealer and retails around
500.00 I would not use the Toro at HD for any use residential or otherwise.

derekarbeiter
04-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Yes, the JS 20s and 30s, etc. may be made by snapper but the JS60 is NOT. The JS60 mower was sold at dealers, not the cheap equipment at home depot and lowes that are giving JD a bad name.