PDA

View Full Version : rolled a T3000 today

americanlawn
07-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Actually it didn't roll 360 degrees -- it ended up upside down. The engine & everything else shut down. (No fert spill or liquid spill).

The operator hopped off & didn't get hurt at all (probably due to his vast experience with rolling other equipment in past years) :confused:. He flipped the unit right-side-up, and he finished treating the lawn.

The lawn had been treated twice before with a T, but this time it was a different operator. Operator error --- Instead of going up & down, he went sideways (not good). :hammerhead: "If anything can be wrecked, my brother-in-law is the one for the job". :laugh:

This lawn was color-coded as "questionable" in the first place regarding ride-on or push spread. A really good operator can do this lawn with a T, but in this case, it was my brother-in-law. We call him "Mr. Reckless" (more like wreck more), cuz he has rolled ZTR mowers several times. :cry:

I thought I'd share this cuz not every day is always perfect for us either. BTW, the T3000 has about 480 hours on it, and still nothing's broken (even after today's episode). :laugh: I hope this brightens up everybody's day, cuz 'stuff happens'. :usflag:

Any comments? (especially funny ones) Thanks

turf hokie
07-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Did you get out your protractor out and measure at what degree it flipped?

I always said you dont know how to run a PG until you flip one, I guess that can be said about the T. I pray to never be able to say that about the z, no way I'm flipping that bad boy of its back.

americanlawn
07-27-2009, 06:52 PM
I just asked the operator (brother-in-law who lives with us/posts sometimes on my account). He said the backyard was probably over 30 degrees, but I cannot prove this cuz I wasn't there. Keep in mind that he is "Mr. Reckless". He also rides a wide-glide Harley which he has "dumped" before. He always pushes machines to the edge.

This account could never have been treated with any other ride-on. Too much slope & obstacles.

Last time we flippped & dumped fert = PG's. They are truly dangerous when it comes to difficult slopes, etc. IMO

Did you get out your protractor out and measure at what degree it flipped?

I always said you dont know how to run a PG until you flip one, I guess that can be said about the T. I pray to never be able to say that about the z, no way I'm flipping that bad boy of its back.

chrisby316
07-27-2009, 08:00 PM
I rolled my older Z spray into a ditch it went one and a half rotations and landed upside down. Adrenaline let me get it back over. only thing wrong was tire got popped off the bead. had a lighter powered air compressor and was finishing the lawn in less than 15 minutes, was the scariest 3 seconds of my life. watching hopper, wheels, hopper, then wheels and all is quiet!

EVM
07-27-2009, 08:11 PM
How are you guys rolling the Z? Riding sideways on slopes or going up and down? Is it possible to roll the Z going up hills?

chrisby316
07-27-2009, 08:19 PM
was going up a hill that sloped right at the top. hit a bump the front casters kicked right and sent the z into an 8 foot drainage culvert. been on much worse slopes but the planets just aligned and scared the crap outta me. that was draining

DUSTYCEDAR
07-27-2009, 08:22 PM
OH MY stuff happens try not to step into it

RABBITMAN11
07-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Tractors hate those hills! I like throwing frisbies while doing 85 degree hills.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
07-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Your brother in law works for you Larry? I'll bet that is interesting some days....

americanlawn
07-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Hey all - I'll try to pull the camera out tomorrow to show the T that rolled. Haven't shown pics for quite some time -- sorry.

SCAG POWER
07-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Did you take him rite away for a mandatory drug test............Then write him up , no Wait this has happened before fire him.This is exactly why I do hire family at all any more.

lifetree
07-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Why did you agree to employ your brother-in-law ??

SCAG POWER
07-28-2009, 05:51 AM
I ment to say this why i do not higher family members.

billyc
07-28-2009, 08:31 AM
You have a brother-in-law. That means someone had to marry you. Wow.

grassman177
07-28-2009, 11:23 AM
i always run side to side with z's. some of the hill areas are too steep to even think of going up them and way to dangerous to point downhill. i did put my intermediate in a ravene the other day into one of those erosion control fences on a new frontage area lawn. was the first time. let me tell yo LARRY, scary as hell but i stepped off the back with ease and hoped for the best, it slid head first and into a ditch at the bottom and almost tipped over foreward,but i grabbed it to be sure it did not. I did all this right as one of my competitors drovew by right in front of me, shoulod have seen the look on their faces!! i gave them the bro hand raise in the air aned wenton about my way, but had to go through the fencing, it would not back up

americanlawn
07-28-2009, 06:40 PM
That was good! :laugh: My brother-in-law is very good & thorough - prob is he always pushes trucks & equipment hard. During the past 15 years, he has rolled John Deere 445 garden tractors (w/3-point hitch & Spyker 220 spreader) 3 times. Twice on lawns (needed a new hood both times) and once when he forgot to secure the trailer -- the safety chains held, but the trailer swerved at 60 mph causing the 445 to flip into a country ditch....that was a total loss.

His sister chewed him a new one, and I gave him heck too. At least I didn't have to clean up spilled fert with a scoop shovel & shop vac.

While he wasn't throwing a fribee at the time, the guys accused him of text messaging his girlfriend while treating lawns. :laugh:

Sorry no pic (forgot camera), but it looks like any other T.

Anybody else flip a ride-on this year? I know there's some PG operators out there :laugh:

You have a brother-in-law. That means someone had to marry you. Wow.

a plus bob
07-28-2009, 07:09 PM
I stood my Z on the fert boxes one time !It came up so high it just sit there on the fert boxes.Now I have the aux tank and hope it never happens .

americanlawn
07-28-2009, 09:47 PM
We have never seen a Z tip over around here, but we have helped a friend pull one out of a muddy ditch (good thing we had a tow rope behind the seat). Stuff happens when one pushes ride-ons to their limits. It doesn't matter which brand - stuff happens. We even had a T3000 get stuck in mud (once)...bottom line - one has to use common sense and realize the limitations of the ride-on that is being used.

Still waiting to hear from PG users, cuz we averaged about 2 rollovers per year when we ran PG Ultra's. Plus cleaning up serious fert granules. :dizzy:

Josh.S
07-28-2009, 10:20 PM
I didn't flip my PG this year... but..

When I first started applications this spring I was going down a hill in a back yard. The hill led straight down to a pond. I was going down the hill and the throttle stuck wide open against the handle bars because I was squeezing tight about to lose my balance. As I am riding the PG down the hill trying to hit the brake and unstick the throttle I about fell off. I finally unstuck the throttle right before I went into the pond and turned the PG left a little. This made me end up slamming into a canoe (at full speed) and standing in the pond wrestling the PG from flipping over into it.

There's my story.... Glad your machine is alright larry.

chrisby316
08-01-2009, 03:11 PM
isnt it a problem that your brother in law has a girlfriend?