PDA

View Full Version : weed test

RigglePLC
07-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Sometimes I test various brands and combinations of herbicides and surfactants. A neighbor has a weedy vacant lot he just mows. So...July 26 I tested 4 products on an area almost solid with ground ivy. Plus a few oxalis and violets. And OMG! A 4 ft by 4 area that I treated with Eliminate at 4 times regular strength, plus crop oil was the first to respond. At 12 hours the area turned black. Eliminate at 2 times regular rate plus crop oil was dark--second place. Stay tuned, I want to see if any grass survives. Other products tested, Surge, plus silicone surfactant, also Confront with silicone surfactant (like Lesco Hawkeye). Anybody want to see pictures?

xtreem3d
07-27-2009, 10:16 PM
yes, please post pics
steve

Think Green
07-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Riggle,
I won't get into your business, but what you are doing is iffy!--isn't it??
Are you an accredited test subject that has the support of the state or the E.P.A.?
I hope that this is your land and there is not room for runoff or stray to nearby offsite areas of concern.
I have a friend whom is in the business and he owns a hundred acres of farm land with no cattle-horses or anything. His land has his home, and 4 large buildings for his lawn trucks. He has been turned in several times in the past for his being in the spraying business. I do not recall him ever stating that he has practiced nor meddled with herbicides for testing. He, I , you and everyone has to follow the label directions under the state's laws and guidelines. I mean, what I do on my property is my business but anything that runs off my property then becomes my liability to others around me....
I hope the neighbors around you are pretty understanding to your intentions.
The E.P.A. and the P.C.&E. won't bat an eye to cease operations like this.
I know that alot more people are getting away with more severe things, but there is always the select few that are nabbed for less reasons.

Please be careful!!

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
07-27-2009, 11:38 PM
Riggle,
I won't get into your business, but what you are doing is iffy!--isn't it??
Are you an accredited test subject that has the support of the state or the E.P.A.?
I hope that this is your land and there is not room for runoff or stray to nearby offsite areas of concern.
I have a friend whom is in the business and he owns a hundred acres of farm land with no cattle-horses or anything. His land has his home, and 4 large buildings for his lawn trucks. He has been turned in several times in the past for his being in the spraying business. I do not recall him ever stating that he has practiced nor meddled with herbicides for testing. He, I , you and everyone has to follow the label directions under the state's laws and guidelines. I mean, what I do on my property is my business but anything that runs off my property then becomes my liability to others around me....
I hope the neighbors around you are pretty understanding to your intentions.
The E.P.A. and the P.C.&E. won't bat an eye to cease operations like this.
I know that alot more people are getting away with more severe things, but there is always the select few that are nabbed for less reasons.

Please be careful!!

OK, That is a little extreme, BUT....... The label IS the law, and if I were to do something like over apply & act contrary to what the label states, I wouldn't broadcast it to the world:waving:

Oh, and Confront isn't labeled for residential use anymore.....Not sure if ajoining vacant lot makes it a residential site?

grassman177
07-28-2009, 11:26 AM
still interesting, but i would never go over label rate as it is that way for good reason and law as stated above. i still have a small confront left that is labeled for resi and i am saving it for my family only for those weeds it does best on like ivies etc

Think Green
07-28-2009, 06:15 PM
OMGGG!!!!
Riggle,Liberty and Grassman,
I totally overlooked the small print of Riggle stating that he sprayed only a 4 X 4 area.
Holy cow, I completely misread this thread and posted way off path.! I am really sorry for badgering and bashing his intentions of informing us applicator's. The real thing was, that around here, with all of the agriculture going on, neighbor's are so subject to chemical exposure, that they will call in and complain these days.
I completely feel that testing a 4 X 4 spot in different increments and strengths is irrelevant and in scope with minimal side effects. I was under the impression that he was testing larger plots at the rates he was mentioning.

I will pull my head from under my armpit and read harder next time.!! I think that I have been huffing too much round-up and MSMA again!!! LOL!!