PDA

View Full Version : Help with a tree! please.

2Ts UT
07-27-2009, 10:28 PM
I'm doing a job on a residential property. I'm putting in a planter in the corner where the driveway and walkway meet. I need a good shade tree that grows up more than out and that has roots that run deep instead of out too much (to prevent breaking up the driveway and walkway). Anybody out there a tree expert and have good tree ideas? I feel kinda dumb asking but I don't really know trees at all.

Thanks in advance for your help.

procare57
07-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Not familiar with your area but I would look at a bradford pear or maple. Not many good shade trees grow "up" but these will do the trick.

Think Green
07-27-2009, 11:36 PM
You said--- A Planter??
You want a shade tree for a planter??!!

The list is long, but here are a few..! for a corner walkway area.
Kwanzan Cherry
Royal Empress Tree
Ginkgo--Good Tree!
Golden Rain Tree--Good Tree!
River Birch
Staghorn Sumac
Windmill Palm

2Ts UT
07-28-2009, 12:04 AM
just looked up the bradford pear, I really like that tree!!! I totally forgot to mention that he doesn't want a fruit tree in this particular place but we're doing a peach tree out back. The maples are pretty common around here. He has a red maple in his front yard already, but another couldn't hurt. Thanks procare57

2Ts UT
07-28-2009, 12:07 AM
haha yeah, I guess planter wouldn't be an accurate description. That kinda makes me think of a little pot hanging from a bathroom window. Thanks for the list think green. Its very much a appreciated I'll look into them

Think Green
07-28-2009, 12:25 AM
2T's

Not being a criminal here, but I have 5 on my properties, and if there is any way for the wind to blow excessively, then within about 5 or so years, the trees will split and shale in high windy storms.
The bradford pear is the most widely used tree here and it is the most removed tree after planting because of storm damage.
If this is a good customer and you have a great relationship with them, don't suggest this tree as you will regret it later.
Down south, this tree is subject to fire blight! The alternate choice is the Cleveland Select Pear, anyway, it is still of this species of ornamental tree that is succeptible to wind damage.

2Ts UT
07-29-2009, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I really like the ginko. I think I'll probably go with that one. I really appreciate the help

mtg97
08-02-2009, 10:32 PM
The bradford pear and the cleveland select are fruitless trees