PDA

View Full Version : DOT Numbers

shawn d
07-28-2009, 12:18 AM
At what point do you need to get D.O.T Numbers, I have not looked into it much for my state but is something I plan on doing next season. Any input or tips would really be appriciated.

Thanks

Duffster
07-28-2009, 12:31 AM
Over 10,001# GCWR for interstate commerce.

shawn d
07-28-2009, 12:34 AM
So even if my whole trailer has graphics and lettering and it is obvious that it is being used for commercial use I won't get in any trouble?

Duffster
07-28-2009, 12:46 AM
So even if my whole trailer has graphics and lettering and it is obvious that it is being used for commercial use I won't get in any trouble?

Indiana requires USDOT# for intrastate also.

You will need them for the combo in your signature.

shawn d
07-28-2009, 12:52 AM
Ok let me tell you what im thinking, If i were to purchase a f150 thats a 6600GW truck and pull my 6x12 with 3000 plates on it would I be able to slip under the requirements. and if not what will I have to go threw to get one?

Duffster
07-28-2009, 12:56 AM
Ok let me tell you what im thinking, If i were to purchase a f150 thats a 6600GW truck and pull my 6x12 with 3000 plates on it would I be able to slip under the requirements. and if not what will I have to go threw to get one?

What is the GVW of the trailer?

Duffster
07-28-2009, 12:57 AM
Ok what will I have to go threw to get one?

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/online-registration/onlineregdescription.htm

shawn d
07-28-2009, 01:19 AM
The trailer is 3500lbs

Duffster
07-28-2009, 01:31 AM
The trailer is 3500lbs

They go off of GCWR.

6600 + 3500 = 10,100 so you would still be over 10,001.

shawn d
07-28-2009, 02:10 AM
well I will plate the trailer as 3000 because It doesnt ever have more then that in it including the trailer weight.

grandview (2006)
07-28-2009, 04:32 AM
well I will plate the trailer as 3000 because It doesnt ever have more then that in it including the trailer weight.

Fist off the number is free so it's not a big deal to get one. Also they go by max trailer weight not what you register it at.

SangerLawn
07-29-2009, 06:25 AM

If I were you I wouldnít take any ones word for it on this web site. Not saying your not going to get correct information because you probably will. The problem is that you live in the same state that I am. When I got pulled over they said they are going to be pulling everyone over and towing there trucks and trailers if they are not legal. I recommend simply calling or going by the DOT office. Get with them to make sure youíre legal.

SangerLawn
07-29-2009, 06:29 AM
Fist off the number is free so it's not a big deal to get one. Also they go by max trailer weight not what you register it at.

Yes the number is free but donít forget in Indiana you must have your truck and trailer inspected once a year. That cost is around $150 for truck and $150 for trailer. Then you must have everything in truck that is required.

Just didnít want you to get your numbers for free and think your legal.

93Chevy
07-29-2009, 06:42 AM
Don't you also need a medical card and commercial plates in order to have a USDOT number?

SangerLawn
07-29-2009, 07:12 AM
Don't you also need a medical card and commercial plates in order to have a USDOT number?

In the state I live in yes you need a medical card but you do not need commercial plates.

93Chevy
07-29-2009, 07:21 AM
Well I just bought a 7k trailer and I have a 8.6k truck, so I'll call my DOT office soon.

I've heard of people calling asking about the laws and the answer comes out to be "depends on the cop."

Maybe I'm in the wrong industry, lol.

Duffster
07-29-2009, 09:27 AM
If I were you I wouldn’t take any ones word for it on this web site. Not saying your not going to get correct information because you probably will. The problem is that you live in the same state that I am. When I got pulled over they said they are going to be pulling everyone over and towing there trucks and trailers if they are not legal. I recommend simply calling or going by the DOT office. Get with them to make sure you’re legal.

I've heard of people calling asking about the laws and the answer comes out to be "depends on the cop."

That is why I posted the link to the federal specs.

You are better off IMO to look them up yourself before you ask, that way you have a much better understanding.

93Chevy
07-29-2009, 12:22 PM
That is why I posted the link to the federal specs.

You are better off IMO to look them up yourself before you ask, that way you have a much better understanding.

Thanks, I must have missed that link the first time around.

In PA, you do not need a USDOT number for intrastate commerce.

shawn d
07-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Is there a DOT physical required in Indiana?

Duffster
07-29-2009, 12:29 PM
In PA, you do not need a USDOT number for intrastate commerce.

That is correct

As far as I know if you need a DOT# you need a med card.

shawn d
07-29-2009, 12:33 PM
So the "med card" is a Medical insurance card correct? I just want to make sure I have everything straight.

Duffster
07-29-2009, 12:38 PM
So the "med card" is a Medical insurance card correct? I just want to make sure I have everything straight.

No, "Med Card" is what you get that proves you got the DOT physical.

The DOT doesn't care if you have Medical Insurabce ;)

shawn d
07-29-2009, 12:43 PM
No, "Med Card" is what you get that proves you got the DOT physical.

The DOT doesn't care if you have Medical Insurabce ;)

Alright thanks for clearing that up.

CrewKut
07-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Re: Med Card - It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Call around to get prices on the physical. I just got mine updated, I called several places and the price varied from $35 to $150 just for the physical. Don't sweat it, if you have a heartbeat, most likely you'll pass the physical. It is not a full blown health evaluation, actual time in exam room was less than 10 minutes.

Dan

93Chevy
07-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Re: Med Card - It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Call around to get prices on the physical. I just got mine updated, I called several places and the price varied from $35 to $150 just for the physical. Don't sweat it, if you have a heartbeat, most likely you'll pass the physical. It is not a full blown health evaluation, actual time in exam room was less than 10 minutes.

Dan

So no rubber glove? :eek:

grandview (2006)
07-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Yes the number is free but donít forget in Indiana you must have your truck and trailer inspected once a year. That cost is around $150 for truck and $150 for trailer. Then you must have everything in truck that is required.

Just didnít want you to get your numbers for free and think your legal.

Same here,but it's a safety inspection and costs 21.00 for a pickup and 6.00 for a trailer. Most of the stuff required you should have in your truck anyway. Fire extinguisher,triangles ,strap down equipment.

Well I just bought a 7k trailer and I have a 8.6k truck, so I'll call my DOT office soon.

Maybe I'm in the wrong industry, lol.
That's true. Cops get just enough training to be dangerous .They go through a 4 hour training and they think they know all 3,000 pages of the regulations .

Ifffy in NY .If you got your driver liscense after 1999 your suppose to have one. Cost 50 bucks here and good for 2 years.
Dan

So no rubber glove? :eek:

Hopefully she a hot blond who asks you to turn your head and cough!:cool2:

SangerLawn
07-29-2009, 07:45 PM

Yes you do. They last for 2 years and only cost $35.00 (depending on your doctor)

SangerLawn
07-29-2009, 07:49 PM
sorry, i didnt see all the replies until after i replied lol

rcpeoples
07-31-2009, 06:34 PM

Trust me the D.O.T can care less what your paperwork says , almost all carry portable scales. If you get one who is a jerk and you are one pound over call one of your friends to come get one of your trimmers or get ready to be towed !

golfnpreacher
07-31-2009, 09:22 PM
The DOT physical must check hearing, vision, blood pressure and drug test. Also if you are driving a DOT numbered vehicle you are required to to have random drug testing. DOT physical must be kept on file for 7 years. A copy of the required physical form can be found at .. http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/documents/safetyprograms/Medical-Report.pdf

golfnpreacher
07-31-2009, 10:01 PM
Just a quick question... How many people here

1) Cross state lines in the course of business
2) Have a GVWR of greater than 10,000 lbs

Either - Or - Or both

Duffster
07-31-2009, 10:53 PM
Just a quick question... How many people here

1) Cross state lines in the course of business
2) Have a GVWR of greater than 10,000 lbs

Either - Or - Or both

Both, what your point? :confused:

grandview (2006)
08-01-2009, 05:56 AM

Because you would fall into a whole different category. I hope you don't can a full gas can over state lines.

golfnpreacher
08-01-2009, 07:44 AM

The point is... if you don't know the importance of those two questions you are likely to be violating Federal DOT laws.

punt66
08-01-2009, 07:48 AM
The point is... if you don't know the importance of those two questions you are likely to be violating Federal DOT laws.

about half of the states in the US require dot numbers within the state. Go to the fed website. That rule of thumb only applies to states that
do not require numbers within the state.

golfnpreacher
08-01-2009, 08:05 AM
And of those half, how many require a number if you're less than 10,001 GVWR?

Care to quess

golfnpreacher
08-01-2009, 08:16 AM
BTW -- here is info straight from the ConnDot... so if you're not over that magic number and don't cross state line you don't need one in CT. While you may be running a commercial business, your lack of weight means you don't qualify as a commercial carrier.

To help ensure the safety of large trucks on roadways, most commercial motor vehicles-including those used in agricultural operations for transporting livestock and produce-must have a U.S. Department of Transportation (US DOT) identification number, according to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. Federal regulations define a commercial motor vehicle as any self-propelled or towed vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating, a gross combination weight rating, or a gross combination weight of 10,001 or more pounds. The regulations apply to all commercial motor vehicles traveling (intrastate) as well as between states (interstate).

Definition of Commercial Motor Vehicle as per Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations Part 390.5 for the purpose of compliance with DOT Marking Requirement 390.21:

# Commercial Motor Vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle:
# Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or gross combination weight rating (GCWR) or gross vehicle weight (GVW) or gross combination weight of 10,001 pounds or more;
# Is Designed to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation;
# Is designed to transport 16 or more people including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation;
# Is transporting hazardous materials in quantities requiring the vehicle to be placarded. (There is no weight threshold for placarded vehicles and applies to both intrastate or interstate operations.)
****** Effective January 1 2003 All Intrastate operators of commercial motor vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or gross combination weight rating (GCWR) or gross vehicle weight (GVW) or gross combination weight of 10,001 pounds or more domiciled in the following states must now secure and display a USDOT number: Alabama, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia & Wisconsin.
******CONNECTICUT AND MARYLAND: A DOT Number is required for INTRASTATE NON HAZ MAT carriers. A number must be applied for offline and will take 4 to 6 weeks for the state to process.

Duffster
08-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Because you would fall into a whole different category. I hope you don't can a full gas can over state lines.

And what category would that be?

Not necessarily.

rcpeoples
08-01-2009, 11:22 AM
The DOT physical must check hearing, vision, blood pressure and drug test. Also if you are driving a DOT numbered vehicle you are required to to have random drug testing. DOT physical must be kept on file for 7 years. A copy of the required physical form can be found at .. http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/documents/safetyprograms/Medical-Report.pdf
And dont forget if u get into an accident in a D.O.T numbered vehicle you have 24 hours to get drug tested weather that vehicle was working at the time of accident or not.

Duffster
08-01-2009, 11:25 AM
And dont forget if u get into an accident in a D.O.T numbered vehicle you have 24 hours to get drug tested weather that vehicle was working at the time of accident or not.

Where does it say that?

rcpeoples
08-01-2009, 12:09 PM
In D.O.T handbook under post-accident testing. If their was a fatality or if their was a citation given for a moving violalation and an injury occurred requiring treatment away from scene or if a vehicle had to be towed. Remember once you get that D.O.T number you are now driving a commercial motor vehilce whole new set of rules.

golfnpreacher
08-01-2009, 12:36 PM
In D.O.T handbook under post-accident testing. If their was a fatality or if their was a citation given for a moving violalation and an injury occurred requiring treatment away from scene or if a vehicle had to be towed. Remember once you get that D.O.T number you are now driving a commercial motor vehilce whole new set of rules.

VERY GOOD POINT. I don't know of any state that applies a more restrictive definition of what a commercial vehicle is than what the CFR 49 383.5 is. (That doesn't mean there isn't one, just I'm not aware of it.)

383.5 -- Commercial motor vehicle (CMV) means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle—

(a) Has a gross combination weight rating of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds)

BUT if a person/company voluntarily submits to the demands of these DOT regulations, they are bound by ALL of them. In other words, if you get a number simply because it is "free" you must obey all of the other parts, even those that will cost you. Many smaller trucking companies hire a third party to maintain their compliance because it is time consuming and tedious.

For example to drive a CV requires more than a CDL. Before you hire someone you must complete a 10 year background check. And if they lack 12 months of experience driving they are required to have special training by each new employer. (No you can't say someone else did it you have to document what you did and when) NO failed DOT drugs allowed. And while failed non-DOT test are allowed, try explaining why you hired someone that you knew to have failed a drug test when that employee is involved in an accident. You must order a DMV report annually and review it for every driver. All drivers must be enrolled in a program that administers random drug tests. Employment application, medical documents, background check, annual reviews must be maintained for varied periods of time (3-7 years) even after the employee leaves. And this is only the tip of what is required and it doesn't begin with the requirements for vehicle inspections and maintenance.

Failure to obtain, provide and maintain these records results in heavy fines that don't disappear simply because you close your business. So, go ahead an get your "free number" because you really don't need it but it is "free" and see how much it will cost you in the long run.

punt66
08-01-2009, 01:44 PM
And of those half, how many require a number if you're less than 10,001 GVWR?

Care to quess

your over that if you have a full size pickup and a trailer! My 1500 is rated to tow 7100lbs then the weight of the truxk as well. Its easy to surpass 10k.

Duffster
08-01-2009, 03:33 PM
383.5 -- Commercial motor vehicle (CMV) means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicleó

(a) Has a gross combination weight rating of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds)

The FMCSA has 2 definitions of a CMV

The one you quoted is for CDL purposes and the other that starts at GCWR 10k+ is for USDOT# purposes.

Duffster
08-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Here is the second one I previously mentioned

Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicleó

(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or

rcpeoples
08-01-2009, 06:26 PM
I think someone said this before, better to have and not need , than need and not have. Just make sure you file correctly and handle all your paperwork properly.

golfnpreacher
08-01-2009, 07:57 PM
I think someone said this before, better to have and not need , than need and not have. Just make sure you file correctly and handle all your paperwork properly.

Actually if you have it and don't need it, you are bound by all the regulations that it requires. For example, if your vehicle does not qualify as a Commercial Motor Vehicle. (This does not mean it is not a vehicle used in a commercial business) but you get a DOT number, what you could have allowed anyone with a drivers license to drive you can now only allow someone with a CDL to drive.

And this is just one of many example that you must adhere to if you "have it, but not need it"

rcpeoples
08-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Very true. I was just saying if your going to constantly be close to that weight cover yourself, better safe than sorry

golfnpreacher
08-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Very true. I was just saying if your going to constantly be close to that weight cover yourself, better safe than sorry

Here I would agree with you. I would also suggest that is someone was going to be close, to think long and hard about requesting to submit to the CFR regulations. It is not just getting a number. There are all sorts of other requirements that come with getting a number. Reporting, record keeping on all vehicles and drivers. And one I've been punching here is driver qualifications. Just because a person obtains a CDL from their state department of motor vehicles does not mean they are qualified to drive a CMV. Sounds dumb, but it is the truth. I've seen drivers with current and valid CDL's who have failed DOT drug tests in their history. (and no release by a certified DOT drug program)

Duffster
08-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Actually if you have it and don't need it, you are bound by all the regulations that it requires. For example, if your vehicle does not qualify as a Commercial Motor Vehicle. (This does not mean it is not a vehicle used in a commercial business) but you get a DOT number, what you could have allowed anyone with a drivers license to drive you can now only allow someone with a CDL to drive.

And this is just one of many example that you must adhere to if you "have it, but not need it"

How so?

Just because it has a DOT number doesn't mean you need a CDL to drive it.

golfnpreacher
08-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Here is a link to the Federal Motor Carriers Safety Admin site that address who does and doesn't need DOT numbers.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/registration-USDOT.htm

Duffster
08-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Here is a link to the Federal Motor Carriers Safety Admin site that address who does and doesn't need DOT numbers.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/registration-USDOT.htm

I believe I have posted that twice already

, what you could have allowed anyone with a drivers license to drive you can now only allow someone with a CDL to drive.

I would like to know how you come to this conclusion.

golfnpreacher
08-02-2009, 05:54 PM
If you are declaring that a particular vehicle is being used for commercial purposes and you submit it to DOT regulations (which a # signifies you have done) you then need a commercial license to operate it.

There are some exceptions, one being a rental company such at U-Haul or Ryder, their commercial endeavor is to rent trucks, hence they have to have a number, however "Joe Homeowner" who is not using that truck in a commercial endeavor (moving his property from one location to another) is not required to have a CDL.

And perhaps you have posted that link, I apologize that I've missed it. I will again say the best thing to do if one has questions is to grab the registration for your vehicle and trailer and all your state transportation department and ask for an enforcement officer. Everyone I've dealt with was always accommodating.

But this I do know... this is one case where it is not better to have it (a DOT #) and not need it. If you don't need it, don't get it.

Duffster
08-02-2009, 06:06 PM
If you are declaring that a particular vehicle is being used for commercial purposes and you submit it to DOT regulations (which a # signifies you have done) you then need a commercial license to operate it.

That is incorrect.

A CMV requires #'s starting at 10k, that same CMV doesn't require a CDL (weight wise) until at least 26k

But this I do know... this is one case where it is not better to have it (a DOT #) and not need it. If you don't need it, don't get it

I agree to that.

It would be kinda silly to get the numbers if you don't need them.

golfnpreacher
08-02-2009, 06:23 PM
That is incorrect.

A CMV requires #'s starting at 10k, that same CMV doesn't require a CDL (weight wise) until at least 26k

No, that is incorrect... the FMCSA does not state a CMV # is required starting at 10k. The 10K figure is for INTERSTATE commerce. Generally speaking a CMV# is required INTRAstate if you exceed 26K.

A class C license would be required for someone operating a vehicle less that 26K, a class A or B is for those over 26K

Classes of License:

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Class C -- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials.

golfnpreacher
08-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Correction, my bad.... it would not be a class C... but a class B, unless the trailer being towed is greater than 10K GVWR.

Notice Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Because someone submits to a voluntary recognition as submitting to DOT regs by application for a DOT # and since the towed vehicle is not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR a class B is required.

Duffster
08-02-2009, 06:40 PM
No, that is incorrect... the FMCSA does not state a CMV # is required starting at 10k. The 10K figure is for INTERSTATE commerce. Generally speaking a CMV# is required INTRAstate if you exceed 26K.

30+ states require USDOT #'s for intrastate commerce
Some States Require USDOT Numbers

In select states (see green highlighted states or list below), all registrants of commercial motor vehicles, even intrastate and non-Motor Carrier registrants, are required to obtain a USDOT Number as a necessary condition for commercial vehicle registration

A class C license would be required for someone operating a vehicle less that 26K,.

Only if it is

designed to transport 16 or more passengers, or is placarded for hazardous materials

Edit, didn't see your edit LOL

Duffster
08-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Because someone submits to a voluntary recognition as submitting to DOT regs by application for a DOT # and since the towed vehicle is not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR a class B is required.

That is also incorrect.

In the winter I drive a 2500HD(9200#gvwr IIRC) pulling a 14k gooseneck trailer for a buddy of mine.

This rig requires USDOT #'s but does not require a CDL to drive.

golfnpreacher
08-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Dust,

I did not say that STATES did or did not require #'s... but that the FMCSA did not require them.

I have said at various times and places that states MAY require them and the requirements may vary from state to state.

I have also said that if one submits to Federal Regulations, which is what you do when you apply for a DOT # either because:
1 - you think it is better to have it and not need it
2 - because the state you reside in requires it
3 - the Federal statues require it

Once submit to it you must adhere to all that applies to you. If the Federal statues require something, say a class B (you missed my correction) to operate a commercial vehicle towing a trailer less than 10K, your state cannot ignore that requirement.

So, if your state requires a operator to register a Federal DOT# by doing so they also have required adherence to the Federal licensed operation of that vehicle.

Duffster
08-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Dust,

I did not say that STATES did or did not require #'s... but that the FMCSA did not require them.

I have said at various times and places that states MAY require them and the requirements may vary from state to state.

I have also said that if one submits to Federal Regulations, which is what you do when you apply for a DOT # either because:
1 - you think it is better to have it and not need it
2 - because the state you reside in requires it
3 - the Federal statues require it

Once submit to it you must adhere to all that applies to you. If the Federal statues require something, say a class B (you missed my correction) to operate a commercial vehicle towing a trailer less than 10K, your state cannot ignore that requirement.

So, if your state requires a operator to register a Federal DOT# by doing so they also have required adherence to the Federal licensed operation of that vehicle.

Like I said, just because you have USDOT #'s (required or not) doesn't mean you need a CDL.

punt66
08-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Like I said, just because you have USDOT #'s (required or not) doesn't mean you need a CDL.

Thats exactly right. DOT#s have nothing to do with a CDL.

rcpeoples
08-03-2009, 01:57 PM
WOW YOU GUYS ARE MAKING MY HEAD SPIN ! :dizzy: IS THIS LAWNSITE OR CB CHANNEL 19:laugh:

Duffster
08-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Just trying to be helpful.

And debate a little. LOL

rcpeoples
08-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Yea you got me going back and checking my D.O.T paperwork to make sure i'm up to date

SangerLawn
08-07-2009, 07:42 PM
You do not need a CDL until your weight hit 26,000 lbs or if your vehicle has air breaks, 16,000 lbs needs a chauffer license, commercial lawn trucks average gwr weight with tandom trailer is only around 14,000 lbs or less so only regular drivers license required (as long as your under the gwr weights listed)

Duffster
08-07-2009, 09:05 PM
You do not need a CDL until your weight hit 26,000 lbs or if your vehicle has air breaks,

Air brakes, by itself, doesn't require a CDL.

16,000 lbs needs a chauffer license, commercial lawn trucks average gwr weight with tandom trailer is only around 14,000 lbs or less so only regular drivers license required (as long as your under the gwr weights listed)

Newer 3/4 tons @ 9200 GVWR + 7000 GVWR trailer would though.