PDA

View Full Version : Electric chop saws??

JimmyStew
07-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Just wondering what your opinions are on electric chop saws for paver/wall work. My local rental shop is selling a Bosch 12" for $200. I can't recall the exact model, but it doesn't look to be in too bad of shape. Are they worth the money for an electric model over a gas powered saw. I don't really need one, since I usually rent the gas powered when I'm doing wall work, but at $200 it might be nice to have for smaller jobs??

DVS Hardscaper
07-28-2009, 05:58 PM
electric saws are nice. wouldn't mind having one for my company.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
07-28-2009, 08:42 PM
I just finished helping a buddy do a flag walk and he uses an elctric saw and I prefer the gas for power cutting. They both have thier place I guess.

4 seasons lawn&land
07-28-2009, 10:26 PM
I am interested to hear what some think on these as well. I'm planning on getting one. I have a 14" cut off gas saw and it's enough work to carry over to your piece, start up, and cut with such a large, heavy machine that I find myself scoring with the angle grinder or even chisel and snaping it on the smaller pieces. I think it will be ideal when I have my 14" cut off saw and 4" angle grinder along with a couple tool's to fill in that range. Like a 9" angle grinder and a 12" electric cut off. I also think a a regular circular saw would be handy.

2low4NH
07-29-2009, 08:52 AM
i have electric in my shop that i cut all my fire boxes with. i like it its an old clipper saw i think its older then me.

Right Touch
07-29-2009, 07:53 PM
2 14" ms420Stihl quikcuts, 4 1/2" angle grinder, 14"MK table saw is our combination works great. cant beat a table chop saw for perfectly straight cuts, but the quikcut is great for long lines that can be cut on the ground and of course the grinder for those "hard to reach" places. Also use a hydraulic splitter alot for block to get a nice finish edge.

zedosix
07-29-2009, 09:16 PM
I would have no interest in one on site, maybe at my work shop it would be usefull

2low4NH
07-29-2009, 11:56 PM
i have the clipper at the warehouse and two k saws as well as many four inch angle grinders with assorted wheels on them and a few circular saws mostly makita with 7 inch blades on them. i have not found anything more that i needed. i also do alot of hand cutting with chisels

Paver Gangster
07-30-2009, 02:18 AM
I'm a big fan of gas powered chopsaws but have found recently that there seems to be a lot of labor time and energy wasted (as well as anger and frustration) on trying to fuel and start them. And no matter what brand, they seem to always require fruitless maintenance after a while, so I too am investigating the merits of an electric model. Most of my jobs are remodels so a electric source is always nearby.

Someone mentioned an angle grinder, which is a must have tool but I cannot imagine trying to cut a pavier with one.

DVS Hardscaper
07-30-2009, 08:15 AM
EDCO has a nice saw

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/ScapeItWS6360CJ7/RentaShowDirAd081.jpg

2low4NH
07-30-2009, 09:27 AM
if you go electric go wet. if you go dry you will kill the motor and bearings sooner then later.

S&MLL
07-31-2009, 12:11 AM
2 14" ms420Stihl quikcuts, 4 1/2" angle grinder, 14"MK table saw is our combination works great. cant beat a table chop saw for perfectly straight cuts, but the quikcut is great for long lines that can be cut on the ground and of course the grinder for those "hard to reach" places. Also use a hydraulic splitter alot for block to get a nice finish edge.

Did you see the final job?

DeereHauler
07-31-2009, 12:32 AM
if you go electric go wet. if you go dry you will kill the motor and bearings sooner then later.

possibly, but a lot of moisture is no better on a electric motor, so its just a matter of time for any saw i would think.

i have a MK 14", chop saw type. can be locked in the down position for making accurate cuts using the sliding table, and trigger can also be locked so you can use both hands to hold the paver. i like mine a lot. i don't install patios or sidewalks everyday, so its perfect for me.

i used a wet saw for a large patio job once, the water pump about died because the dirty water got so thick, we changed it constantly, so we finally pumped water from a 5 gal bucket with a constant clean water source. it was a nightmare......plus even with gloves on the pavers tore our hands up badly.