PDA

View Full Version : Is there a safe way...

rednekk frank
07-28-2009, 12:02 PM
...to haul 16' lumber in an 8' pickup bed?

I need to get a bunch of 16' 2x8s and 2x10s. Is there a safe way to haul these in my truck? I could borrow a trailer, but I'd rather not as the area I'm taking it to isn't exactly trailer friendly. It would be a distance of about 15 miles, with a few fairly steep inclines along the way.

What's the best way to load it to make sure it stays put?

MarcSmith
07-28-2009, 12:34 PM
honestly Id get one of the load haulers that hook in to your trailer receiver
http://www.truckaccessorizer.com/store/trail_fx_extend_a_truck.htm

Az Gardener
07-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Lay it on top of the tailgate hanging over about 1'-2'

Put something on the top of the cab so it wont scratch

Put the other end on top of the cab

so it will be low at the tail gate and going up at and angle

It should end up about 5'-6' over your hood.

Just be sure to ratchet it down tightly so it can't move side to side.

Be aware of your height, no drive through at Mc'y D's. :laugh:

rednekk frank
07-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks, that bed extender looks like the ticket. Now to see if I can find one locally, as I need to get this lumber before the weekend.

I was going to just lay the tailgate down (giving me about 10' of bed surface), put the lumber in, throw a couple hundred pounds on top up against the cab, and then cinch it down with a ratchet strap to keep it tight. However, I was told by several folks that this was a disaster waiting to happen.

Thanks again.

rednekk frank
07-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Lay it on top of the tailgate hanging over about 1'-2'

Put something on the top of the cab so it wont scratch

Put the other end on top of the cab

so it will be low at the tail gate and going up at and angle

It should end up about 5'-6' over your hood.

Just be sure to ratchet it down tightly so it can't move side to side.

Be aware of your height, no drive through at Mc'y D's. :laugh:

I should have mentioned that my truck has a cap on it which is a major PITA to remove by myself.

MarcSmith
07-28-2009, 04:05 PM
iu'll bet if you order today you can have it by thursday just have to pay extra shipping.

go see home depot/lowes... or go to a welding shop and see if they fab one up for you. juts take a picture in of what you want...

harbor freight has em...and they have a few store in PA...

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=bed+extender&Submit=Go

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/retail_stores.taf#PA

rednekk frank
07-28-2009, 04:18 PM
harbor freight has em...and they have a few store in PA...

You, my friend, are a lifesaver. I pass a Harbor Freight store twice each day. Thank you!

Gravel Rat
07-28-2009, 09:29 PM
You are going to watch the overhang. The cops might have something to say about it :laugh:

I don't know how much weight you want to carry but just watch out for the power steering :laughing:

Before you spend a whole pile of money see if the lumber or store delivers a 30 dollar delivery is cheaper than spending 100 dollars for the bed extender.

When I worked in a lumber yard we used to put a 4x4 accross the back of the tailgate. It gives the lumber some rake back and slide it in. Usually get the long stuff in then slide some short stuff over top.

I helped a guy put 20 foot lumber in the back of a pickup with a 6 foot box I said are you sure the customer wanted it done. I closed my eyes after he left :dizzy:

93Chevy
07-28-2009, 09:50 PM
16' is nothing. My uncle had a 32' LVL beam tied to the pipe racks on his work van.

But yeah, that extended doohickey looks to be the ticket.

STIHL GUY
07-28-2009, 10:47 PM
the thing for the hitch reciever seems to be a good plan. my neighbor has one he uses all the time

wellbuilt
07-28-2009, 11:43 PM
How many boards we talking ?
16' lumber will slide in a 8' bed with the tail gate up . no problem.
spread the wood across the tail gate . I have roof racks on the trucks but don't use them until i hit 18'+ . Now my trucks have a 12' bed with heavy racks. The dot guys here don't like to have lumber out the back more then 2' . If you look like a home owner the cops wont bother with you most of the time . How about having it delivered ?

MarcSmith
07-29-2009, 07:02 AM
You, my friend, are a lifesaver. I pass a Harbor Freight store twice each day. Thank you!

just remember that harbor freight is chinese sht... if you get more than a dozen uses out of it you are ding good...:)

After using a big box "hardware" store to deliver my lumber I was less than impressed, they picked the crap lumber and they were 4 hours late for a scheduled delivery....I sent the lumber back after taking pics and went back to the store and had some words with the manager...ended up getting a 100 gift card out of it... which was a hardley worth the lost time and effort.

rednekk frank
07-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Ok, my local Harbor Freight doesn't carry the extender -such is my luck.

I won't have it delivered. It's for a deck I'm building, and I really don't want the beat up, split, corkscrewed wood that nobody else would take.

I think total I needed about 30 16' 2x8s, 6 16' 2x10s, and just under 100 16' decking boards - so obviously it will be more than 1 trip.

I think I'm just gonna drop the gate, lay a 4x4 across, slide the lumber in and ratchet strap the hell out of it. I'm not worried about DOT or the police, as I can run back roads pretty much the whole way home. Maybe I'll have my wife follow me to make sure nobody gets behind me.

Thanks for all the input, guys - I appreciate it.

Duffster
07-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Just put the endgate down and flag them.

topsites
07-30-2009, 10:03 PM
Yeah cut'em in half thou of course they're not 16' anymore :p

Seriously?
Get a roof rack, like the ones made for ladders.
If you can find one used, $75'ish, not sure how much for one new.

nt1
07-30-2009, 11:35 PM
Hang them over the tailgate up or down. If you put the tailgate down and use a piece of 4x4 across the rear of the bed. Then strap them, tie them, or duct tape them together. After that put 4 or 5 bags of concrete on them near the front of the bed. Put a flag on the back of the boards and your done. If you wanted, you could return the concrete when you're done.

redmax fan
07-30-2009, 11:45 PM
remove cap . build out of 2 x 4's a roofer rack / ladder rack

then the boards extend both over cab to near front of hood , and out back past tail gate

maybe youve a friend you could borrow a metal one from

Ben@speedbarn
07-31-2009, 09:12 AM
Yeah just drop the tailgate and lay them in. Wrap a ratchet strap around all of them about a foot from the end. They will bounce less all tied together. Another strap around them attached to the bumper. And if you have front tie downs in the bed, then one around there. I hauled a bed full of the 16ft decking boards tight to the bottom of my toolbox in front, and had no problem. Just go slow, once the they start bouncing it's hard to get them to stop.

GravelyNut
08-01-2009, 02:14 AM
remove cap . build out of 2 x 4's a roofer rack / ladder rack

then the boards extend both over cab to near front of hood , and out back past tail gate

maybe youve a friend you could borrow a metal one from
If it's an Al topper, just go to a dealer and get the ladder racks they make for them.

And as GR pointed out, the DOT guys down here look for excess overhang even with flags.

zabmasonry
08-02-2009, 01:24 AM
I've hauled 22' (if my memory serves me correctly) corrugated roofing in a 8' bed. I used a couple of 2x10s to give it some support, a problem which you won't have, with no issue. From experience i would suggest that you get some long straps and go from your hitch around the end of the lumber and back to the highest secure point on the truck to provide support and keep the lumber in place. and put a flag of some sort on the end of the load (my favorite is a pair of old pair of red long-johns) oh and watch the swing in tight quarters.

In all seriousness though, my lumber yards are usually pretty accommodating, hopefully yours are too. If you are willing to call a couple of days in advance, a lot of times they will either schedule the load first thing in the morning so you can go down and pick the lumber yourself, or let you pick it and put it on a skid beforehand and drop off the load a couple of days later.

deerewashed
08-03-2009, 10:13 AM
if you have awinfow in ther rear of the cab send about as much as you can throught the window and then put the rest on the tailgate in the upright positionyou will only have about 2-3 feat hanging off. this is what my mom does when she needs to do a quick pickup of pvc for drainage.

AI Inc
08-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks, that bed extender looks like the ticket. Now to see if I can find one locally, as I need to get this lumber before the weekend.

I was going to just lay the tailgate down (giving me about 10' of bed surface), put the lumber in, throw a couple hundred pounds on top up against the cab, and then cinch it down with a ratchet strap to keep it tight. However, I was told by several folks that this was a disaster waiting to happen.

Thanks again.

These things work great for a canoe too.

rednekk frank
08-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Well, I picked up the lumber Friday night. Not a bit of a problem with the length, but I will admit I over-did it on the weight, the steering was a bit "light" so to speak. :hammerhead:

In one load, I carried:
28 - 2"x8"x16'
2 - 2"x10"x16'
13 - 2"x"8"12'
3 - 2"x10"x12'

Not too shabby for a tired, 13 year old half ton Ford. Thank god for helper springs...

I've got another 100 or so 5/4"x6"x16' decking boards to get yet - discretion being the better part of valor, I think I'll split that into 2 loads.

Thank you to all who provided advice on this one!