PDA

View Full Version : Roundup and suckers

VO Landscape Design
07-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Will spraying Roundup on suckers kill or have an adverse affect on the plant. Since they are "connected" will it get into the original plants system? Have many Ornamental trees on a property that have been neglected and have many suckers coming up.
Thanks
VO

chavezkm
07-28-2009, 12:22 PM
I personally would never use Round Up as this might inadvertently hurt the original root system. You might want to try something like Crossbow or Ortho Weed-B-Gone once you snip the suckers. I like to lay thick plastic with a hole cut out about 4" in diameter over the snipped area so that the spaying does not spead to much on the grass. It might take several applications but I've had success with these products. Best of luck!

hackitdown
07-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Do not do it. Roundup is systemic, it will hurt the trees.

White Gardens
07-29-2009, 10:47 AM
I've tried it on a few crab-apples that have been planted too deep and has caused suckers.

It does keep them under control, and I didn't notice any adverse affects to the tree.

After about 5 weeks though they come back. And then you have to apply more. At that point I feel like then I might be doing damage to the tree.

My next experiment with suckers is to maybe try a growth inhibitor on mature ornamental trees.

Think Green
07-29-2009, 08:49 PM
You can use Rely-- from Bayer---gluphosinate ammonium.
The product only travels a short distance into the plant. At certain lengths of the shoot, adequate control is achieved. Read the label as this stuff is a little more pricey than glyphosate but causes less devestation to the tree or shrub.

VO Landscape Design
07-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Thanks all. I have tried a little on some I have in my yard with no adverse effects BUT clients I don't want to take a chance. This property has alot. Will check out Rely.
Thanks again
VO

Gold Star Lawns
07-29-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm not sure the correct name for it. But there is a product we call "sucker stopper" You just spray it on the suckers after cutting. I'm not sure the correct term it's called...if I remember I will look tomorrow

White Gardens
07-29-2009, 11:57 PM
I just went back to a property today, and I had used my weed dragon (propane torch) on the suckers of a large apple tree.

I was impressed, the suckers didn't come back at all. I'm sure they eventually will come back, but at least it's a good control.