PDA

View Full Version : erradicate crabgrass by hand?

avguy
07-28-2009, 10:03 PM
You guys helped me get my lawn renovated with bermuda now the crabgrass is setting in. I didn't want to spray anything to kill it as the lawn is freshly seeded. The ground has been pretty damp from all of the rain so I've been going out every evening & taking 15 minutes or so & just pulling the crabgrass out by hand. Am I wasting my time or is this an effective way to get ride of it?

Patriot Services
07-28-2009, 10:11 PM
As soon as the grass comes in you need to put down some preemergent crabgrass preventer. Did you completely kill off all the old vegetation before you seeded or did you just till it under?:usflag::usflag::usflag:

95Z71
07-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Correct me if I am but you can't do this until late winter.

bigslick7878
07-29-2009, 01:31 AM
I hate to say we told you so, but we did.

This is one of the reasons you dont try to seed in the dead of summer.On a slope.With cheap seed. And straw that has even more weeds seeds in it.

You have 2 options either dig it out by hand or spot spray with round up and re seed.

Again, losing battle whatever you do this time of year with a young unestablished lawn that is very thin.

avguy
07-29-2009, 10:32 AM
I hate to say we told you so, but we did.

This is one of the reasons you dont try to seed in the dead of summer.On a slope.With cheap seed. And straw that has even more weeds seeds in it.

You have 2 options either dig it out by hand or spot spray with round up and re seed.

Again, losing battle whatever you do this time of year with a young unestablished lawn that is very thin.

Lol....if you re-read the original thread you'll see that I didn't just wake up one July morning & decide to renovate my lawn.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=279977

I had to work around the things I had no control over.....dead of summer, slope and a September deadline.

With the exception of the straw that kept the erosion to a minimum & seeding with Yukon Gold, your advise was followed to a T. (Thank you again as the lawn is filling in very well everything considered.)

As for the Yukon Gold, again I don't live on a 1/2 acre lot in a subdivision surrounded by manicured lawns. I live on a little over 2 acres in the country on a lot that can't even be seen from the street. I'm not trying to get on the cover of Better Homes & gardens here. While the Lesco seed may be junk in your mind it is more than adequate for the area renovated and will be for the other acre & 1/2 I still have left to work on. Plus, I'll now have enough money left over to buy myself a beer.

I enjoy working in the yard & don't mind a bit to spend a few minutes in the evening pulling out some crabgrass as long as I feel like it won't come back at least in that spot.

So even though you sound a little condescending in your reply, I'll tank you again for your advise. Scott

Smallaxe
07-29-2009, 11:19 AM
New seeds germinate all the time during the summer months. Only August now so the empty spot will probably pop up something new, b4 fall.
Pull a weed, drop some seed. Maybe grass will germinate next.

bigslick7878
07-29-2009, 02:25 PM
New seeds germinate all the time during the summer months. Only August now so the empty spot will probably pop up something new, b4 fall.
Pull a weed, drop some seed. Maybe grass will germinate next.

Yeah its the perfect time to seed.:rolleyes:

Maybe in 'Sconsin they do,but my man is in Tennessee.Little different climate there.

bigslick7878
07-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Lol....if you re-read the original thread you'll see that I didn't just wake up one July morning & decide to renovate my lawn.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=279977

I had to work around the things I had no control over.....dead of summer, slope and a September deadline.

With the exception of the straw that kept the erosion to a minimum & seeding with Yukon Gold, your advise was followed to a T. (Thank you again as the lawn is filling in very well everything considered.)

As for the Yukon Gold, again I don't live on a 1/2 acre lot in a subdivision surrounded by manicured lawns. I live on a little over 2 acres in the country on a lot that can't even be seen from the street. I'm not trying to get on the cover of Better Homes & gardens here. While the Lesco seed may be junk in your mind it is more than adequate for the area renovated and will be for the other acre & 1/2 I still have left to work on. Plus, I'll now have enough money left over to buy myself a beer.

I enjoy working in the yard & don't mind a bit to spend a few minutes in the evening pulling out some crabgrass as long as I feel like it won't come back at least in that spot.

So even though you sound a little condescending in your reply, I'll tank you again for your advise. Scott

Like I said a month ago....losing battle.

I'm not trying to be condescending but this was an inevitable result.

And all seed is not made equal,I dont care where you live thats just a fact.The results speak for themselves.