PDA

View Full Version : Pesticide Storage

lawnspecialties
07-28-2009, 09:31 PM
I just recently built a barn for all my equipment. Now I'm trying to get everything organized which is almost as tough as building the barn.

Anyway, I'd like ideas on some type of cabinet for storing my containers of pesticides. Something like one of those flammable liquid storage cabinets I guess but for pesticides. Does anyone know if there's something out there for this specific purpose? It obviously needs to be fairly strong since 2.5 gallon containers of pesticides can be quite heavy. Not to mention if one starts leaking one day.

Thanks

ant
07-28-2009, 10:53 PM
get those plastic $99.00 ones from lowes

Blood Bought
07-28-2009, 10:54 PM
The flammables cabinet will be fine as long as it has a lock. Second thing is enviroment. Heat and cold can have adverse effects on your chemicals. It is best to store them where temps are controlled. Cabinet must be labeled with warning signs and contact information in case of emergancy. The cabinet also has to be able to contain a spill, ie. leaking container. Controlled access, controlled enviroment, proper labeling, and containment. Did I miss anything?

lawnspecialties
07-29-2009, 08:28 AM
get those plastic $99.00 ones from lowes

I have a similar cabinet from Lowe's but the shelving sags too much from the weight.

The flammables cabinet will be fine as long as it has a lock. Second thing is enviroment. Heat and cold can have adverse effects on your chemicals. It is best to store them where temps are controlled. Cabinet must be labeled with warning signs and contact information in case of emergancy. The cabinet also has to be able to contain a spill, ie. leaking container. Controlled access, controlled enviroment, proper labeling, and containment. Did I miss anything?

That pretty much sums it up. Didn't miss a thing. I have a waterstove for heat in this barn. It won 't stay 72 degrees throughout the winter since the barn has 2400 sq. ft. and is over 15' tall in the middle. But at least nothing should freeze. My goal is to always have it at least 40 degrees or higher all winter.

Cooter
07-29-2009, 09:14 AM
I believe they make metal cabinets like you are describing in green for pesticides. A little pricey but well worth the investment. Lets see pics of the new barn.

Heidi J.
07-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Congrats on the new barn!! A few 2x4's and plywood should do the trick. That's what we did. That way it can withstand the weight. You can add a few hinged doors and a lock.

:waving: