PDA

View Full Version : seeding

thompsonslawncare
07-29-2009, 12:21 AM
I was just wondering if someone could help me out. A lady i mow for wants her yard seeded in the fall in the areas needed well it gets very windy where she is so i i was thinking aboout seeding and then laying the mesh stuff down with the straw running through it but im not really shore what it is called anyone out there please help without bashing i am new to some of this.

White Gardens
07-30-2009, 01:20 AM
Check around, there should be some erosion control supply companies in your area. Call some excavating companies and see who they deal with.

Depending on what they carry, there is many products out there that will work.

Don't use straw unless it's sterilized. Otherwise you'll have more weeds than grass germinate.

landl
07-30-2009, 11:43 PM
What you are describing is a rolled erosion control blanket (RECB) which come in straw or excelsior(Wood Fiber). You can purchase single net, double net or net free. I suggest that you consider the net free because it is 100 % biodegradable for worry free mowing. The nets will be a pain and will tangle in mower blades.

RECB's are designed for bare soil contact and will smother any existing grass and may not be the answer. However, they can be cut easily and will work in small places. RECB's are generally 4' x 180', 8' x 90' and 6.5' x 110' and also can be purchased in half rolls at the big box store. Expect to pay around $50 for the full roll.

Good luck

Full Disclosure: I am a Master Gardener, so I have no clue what I am talking about.