PDA

View Full Version : Aeration gone BIG

willretire@40
07-29-2009, 12:33 AM
I was thinking today about doing aerations big time this year. I would like to get whole lot of aerating and seeding jobs this year between Sept 1st and Nov. 1st. I am think about having a company pass out alot of flyers for me starting Aug 15th stating the price for the job. I would make it like $75 for lot sizes upto 12k Sq ft for aeration only and addtional for larger lots upto 20k sq ft and also extra for seeding.

I would have 2 guys in a truck with a 6x10 trailer equipped with 2 plugr 850hd and two spreaders and a blower.

Do you think this would work? Also has anyone aerated 500 yards in 8 weeks?

Population is about 2 million around here.

dKoester
07-29-2009, 12:57 AM
Whats up Will? How you been? Do you know where to get seed? I'll let you know if you don't. I'm talkin wholesale not retail. All you need is a contractors license. Its going to cost alot for a company to hand them out.

Ric3077
07-29-2009, 01:00 AM
Sounds good bu the price seems low, we get $75 for up to 5,000 sq ft all day long and $150 for 10,000 sq ft. I would think in VA you could get even more but I don't know.

dKoester
07-29-2009, 01:07 AM
I posted yesterday about getting 200 for aeration and seed for a 5000sf lot scheduled this fall. I got 2 small landscape installs and 16 yards of concrete to layed. Plate is full.

willretire@40
07-29-2009, 01:14 AM
Hey, I get my seed from lesco.

dKoester
07-29-2009, 01:17 AM
Turf & garden and Herods Seeds here. Bluetag Certified also. Good to hear from you.

JimLewis
07-29-2009, 01:46 AM
Where I live there are companies that JUST do what you describe - every day. Well, not in the winter. But from spring to early fall that's all they do - aerate a ton of yards every day.

The ones that do this, do it pretty much like you describe. First, they have a team of 1 or 2 guys go around an entire sub-division and paper all the doors with half-page BRIGHT colored flyers - taped to the frame of the garage door. So that way they can't be missed. In big letters at the top it says, "LAWN AERATION TOMORROW!" or "NEIGHBORHOOD LAWN AERATION TOMORROW." Then down below it says a set price Around here it's typically $40 or $45 for up to 3000 sq. ft. (which covers most lawns around this area). And it says on the form if the customer wants the work done - to either call the number on the flyer, or leave the notice on their front door with a name and phone number filled out. Then they just call them to get a CC number or send a bill after the work is done. They'll typically do 20-30 per day because they're doing so many houses all right next to one another. One guy on aerator, another guy flagging sprinkler heads and then blowing off the walkways. Then on to the next house 2 or 3 houses down.

They make pretty decent money doing that. I've often considered opening up another whole division of my company just to do this.

JimLewis
07-29-2009, 01:53 AM
Of course they often get a lot more than an aerating job. Their flyers are designed to upsell the client and if the client is home when they get there, the crew leader's job is to ask about these upsell items too. For instance, a typical flyer will usually have a checklist like this;

_____ Aerate Front Yard Only; $30
_____ Aerate Front & Back Yard; $45
_____ De-Thatching (you clean-up thatch); $75
_____ De-Thatching (We clean-up and haul away thatch); $125
_____ Overseed Lawn; $25

Stuff like that. So often people will chose more than just the lawn aerating and check the box for de-thatch and/or overseed too.

And if the customer is home when the crew arrives the next day, it's the crew leaders job to check with the homeowner, get a check if possible, and also see if they can upsell them on anything. They will also upsell people on Fertilizer, moss killer, and limestone apps. But in Oregon you can do that stuff without an applicators license but you can't advertise for it. So that's something that's only mentioned in person, not on their flyers.

topsites
07-29-2009, 04:38 AM
You guys are funny, how y'all get that kind of money.

If I tried them kind of prices in my neck of the woods I don't even get to the upsell part,
although I will admit that if I ever did I would be so glad I wouldn't even TRY to upsell.

What do y'all do, throw lofty figures out there hoping someone will fall flat on their face and give it away?
Then again I don't suppose that's too bad a tactic, considering...

willretire@40
07-29-2009, 07:30 AM
How do you mark sprinkler heads if no one is home?

JimLewis
07-29-2009, 02:47 PM
You guys are funny, how y'all get that kind of money......If I tried them kind of prices in my neck of the woods I don't even get to the upsell part,

Well.....there's this thing called DEMOGRAPHICS. It means people in one area make more money than people in a different area. That's just one aspect of demographics. But I'll give you an example of why people in your area would never go for those prices but they would have no problem in my area.

Richmond Virginia

Median Household Income: $31,121
Median Family Income: $38,348
% of Population Below Poverty Line: 21.4%
% Households that were still married and living together: 27.1%

All those things factor into how much expendable money someone has. Compare that to:

Beaverton Oregon

Median Household Income: $47,863
Median Family Income: $60,289
% of Population Below Poverty Line: 7.8%
% Households that were still married and living together: 46.8%

So the average family in our area makes 60% more per year than families in your area do; Your poverty rate is 270% what ours is; and you have a little less than half the number of solid families living together still that we have. All that factors into how much expendable money someone has.

So no, we're not just quoting high prices trying to trick someone. That's just what we can get in the areas we live.

As a matter of fact, the $45 prices I mentioned earlier for aerating are what the cheapo "neighborhood aerating" companies charge. I actually charge $75.00 for aerating for a 3000 sq. ft. yard. Can you believe that??? :laugh:

JimLewis
07-29-2009, 05:48 PM
How do you mark sprinkler heads if no one is home?

Well, if you know anything about irrigation, you just go to the valve box, open the bleeder valve for one zone, and mark the heads in that zone when they pop up. Then on to the next valve, do the same.

If you don't understand irrigation or know how to work with underground valves then you just go look around and do the best you can. Not all of them will show, but if you look, you can usually find most sprinkler heads in a lawn without turning on the zone. Whatever you DO find is better than not checking at all.

willretire@40
07-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Do all irrigation systems have a valve box outside? I know I have seen them before.

JimLewis
07-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Well, around here they do. I am pretty sure that's standard. But I suppose you could put them inside. I know I wouldn't want any kind of valve box in my garage or basement or crawl space. How would that be if it ever broke and water started gushing out???

Yah, I am pretty sure they are almost always outside. I think I've seen one irrigation system out of the 1000s we've worked on where the valves were under the house in the crawl space and not outside. But that was just some idiot homeowner job.

Sometimes the backflow devices are inside the garage or house in some states. I do know that. But that's not what we're talking about here. The electronic valves are almost always outside.

JDUtah
07-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Well.....there's this thing called DEMOGRAPHICS. It means people in one area make more money than people in a different area. That's just one aspect of demographics. But I'll give you an example of why people in your area would never go for those prices but they would have no problem in my area.

Richmond Virginia

Median Household Income: $31,121
Median Family Income: $38,348
% of Population Below Poverty Line: 21.4%
% Households that were still married and living together: 27.1%

All those things factor into how much expendable money someone has. Compare that to:

Beaverton Oregon

Median Household Income: $47,863
Median Family Income: $60,289
% of Population Below Poverty Line: 7.8%
% Households that were still married and living together: 46.8%

So the average family in our area makes 60% more per year than families in your area do; Your poverty rate is 270% what ours is; and you have a little less than half the number of solid families living together still that we have. All that factors into how much expendable money someone has.

So no, we're not just quoting high prices trying to trick someone. That's just what we can get in the areas we live.

As a matter of fact, the $45 prices I mentioned earlier for aerating are what the cheapo "neighborhood aerating" companies charge. I actually charge $75.00 for aerating for a 3000 sq. ft. yard. Can you believe that??? :laugh:

Where did you get that info? Thanks in advance :)

JimLewis
07-29-2009, 11:16 PM
Just go to Google and type in; wiki city state.

For instance; wiki Beaverton Oregon brings up this page as the first result on Google;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaverton,_Oregon

Then you just scroll down to Demographics

willretire@40
07-30-2009, 08:33 PM
Anyone else have any experience with a big ad campaign for just aeration?

12Valve
08-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Just go to Google and type in; wiki city state.

For instance; wiki Beaverton Oregon brings up this page as the first result on Google;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaverton,_Oregon

Then you just scroll down to Demographics

pretty cool never looked at this before, my town's was 78k and 100k family income don't guess its too bad of an area

m&mmowing
08-02-2009, 04:42 PM
I was thinking today about doing aerations big time this year. I would like to get whole lot of aerating and seeding jobs this year between Sept 1st and Nov. 1st. I am think about having a company pass out alot of flyers for me starting Aug 15th stating the price for the job. I would make it like $75 for lot sizes upto 12k Sq ft for aeration only and addtional for larger lots upto 20k sq ft and also extra for seeding.

I would have 2 guys in a truck with a 6x10 trailer equipped with 2 plugr 850hd and two spreaders and a blower.

Do you think this would work? Also has anyone aerated 500 yards in 8 weeks?

Population is about 2 million around here.

Don't use a company to pass out fliers. Use a youth group or boyscout troop, something like that. What i've done, and if you get scouts, have em do it on scout's honor so they get out, and most youth groups will be honest too.

willretire@40
08-02-2009, 06:54 PM
I am looking at having 70k flyers passed out over 2 months so i need a company to do them. Do you think that I will get 700 lawns out of that. I know it sounds impossiable even to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

JimLewis
08-02-2009, 08:16 PM
No. I don't think you'll get that response.

AND

You definitely wouldn't be able to handle that many calls anyway. I've been there, did that. I've had times where I WAY over-marketed, thinking to myself "Sure! I can handle as many calls as come in. I'll just hire more people!" HAHAHA. Yah, not even as close to as easy as I envisioned. You've heard people say that growing too fast can be a problem? Yah, they're right. I used to not believe that but I know all too well what they mean now.

Honestly, I think you'll be lucky to get 100 accounts out of that. But I don't want to rain on your parade. I hope it works well. And I hope you're able to handle the flood of calls that would come in if it did work. And able to handle all the equipment and vehicles you'd have to buy. And I hope you're able to hire the right workers and have time to train them correctly so you can KEEP those clients. I hope you're going to be able to handle all the other expenses involved in growing that fast too.

dKoester
08-02-2009, 08:32 PM
You got a good vision on where you want to go with your business. Now you need a business plan to get you there. Don't let anyone discourage you, get your thoughts together and create a plan step by step on what you need, budget etc. Most larger companies add these type of employees; sales manager, marketing manager, financial manager, operations manager and general manager as they grow. Hope this helped.

willretire@40
08-02-2009, 09:18 PM
This is for a one time service so im not reaaly worried about to many calls because i can push the work out a couple weeks out or turn down whatever I want. Now if I only get 100 jobs from that many fliers i would be ticked. That would be $8k for advertisinng cost.
Posted via Mobile Device

dKoester
08-02-2009, 10:49 PM
So basically your not commited to the customer. No follow up.

willretire@40
08-02-2009, 11:13 PM
This is for a one time aeration job but i will follow up fo cutting there lawns also next year. I already have a secratary to answer phones. I will have 10k flyers put out a week so if i get to busy i will just have them not pass out any more.
Posted via Mobile Device

dKoester
08-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Nice job man, not many people follow up these days, good to hear you are. Its a lost art.
Have a great work week bud.

JimLewis
08-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Got one of the flyers I was talking about on my front door today. Here is what they do around my area. LOTS of companies doing this. They show up on my door every week or two all spring, summer, and fall.

bigslick7878
08-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Got one of the flyers I was talking about on my front door today. Here is what they do around my area. LOTS of companies doing this. They show up on my door every week or two all spring, summer, and fall.

So they have to go around and collect all those flyers they passed out to see who wants the service??

I don't see how that makes much sense.

I also hope those are REALLY small lots for those prices.

JimLewis
08-05-2009, 11:16 PM
They send someone out to canvas a neighborhood the day before. Then the 2-man crew comes and drives through that same neighborhood the next day. Anyone with a flyer placed out (indicating they are wanting service) gets service that day. They will usually get anywhere from 15-30 homes take them up on their offer each day. If the average take is $75.00 per home (some people just do the front & back aerating for $35, others add on several of the extras), and suppose they just do 20 homes. That's $1500.00 per day for a 2-man crew. Even if they work 12 hours that day, that's over $60 an hour. Not bad.....

As for the size of the lots, I already said above the avg. lot around here is less than 3,000 sq. ft. of grass. But here is an idea of how packed the houses are together in an average sub-division and what the yards look like. You can't see the back yard in this photo but you can see how close the house behind it is. So the back yards are as small as the front yard is in the photo.

Some yards are a tad bigger. But if you got more than 3,000 sq. ft. of grass, you got a pretty big lot around these parts. Regardless, they make money on volume - not size. Since the drive time is just 30 seconds to the next job, effficiency starts to make up for the low price.

willretire@40
08-06-2009, 06:53 AM
Man looks like 12 houses to 1 acre of land. We have 4 houses to an acre.

JimLewis
08-06-2009, 11:49 AM
More like 4-6 per acre. Standard lot here being 7,000 sq. ft. - 12,000 sq. ft.

Anyway, obviously your prices would be different. I am just showing how the concept works when you do it in mass.

We charge $75.00 for the same service. So our price is over double what those mass-aeration companies charge. And we don't always get a lot of takers. We just do maybe 100 aerations a year. But I'm okay with that. We're not really in the mass-aeration business.

bigslick7878
08-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Man looks like 12 houses to 1 acre of land. We have 4 houses to an acre.

Seriously.

I guess thats why the prices are the way they are.

willretire@40
08-06-2009, 05:26 PM
I just don't like the "We will leave you a bill" I guess they do not have problems getting paid.

JimLewis
08-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Yah, I don't like that either. I wouldn't do it that way. But I know the owner of the company very well. We've been friends for over 10 years. In fact, I used to sub out all of our aerating to them because they were so cheap. So I've discussed this with him.

They used to charge up-front Their flyers would say, "leave check in envelope by front door". They did it that way for years. But people became too leary of leaving their check out in the open like that and business began to decline. So they went this direction.

Now if it were me, I'd still get 95% of people to charge up front. I'd put something on the flyer that said, "Save an extra 10% on your entire job! Just go to our secure website and pay with credit card today. You'll save 10% on the entire job and then we'll be out tomorrow to complete the work!"

Then I'd raise my prices 13%. 10% to cover the discount and 3% to cover the Visa fees. Then anyone who DIDN'T want to pay by Visa would be paying 13% more. That would make it more worth it to chase them down for a payment. But I guarantee you 95% of the people would just go for the discounted rate and pay online. Then you wouldn't have to send a bill or chase most of your clients and you'd always get paid quickly. That's how I'd do it.

Tom Tom
08-06-2009, 07:33 PM
I get lots of flyers every spring just like the ones you guys are mentioning.

The thing I've noticed is the lousy job they tend to do.

And overseeding for 25 or so dollars? Can you actually buy a decent amount of seed for less than that?

And c'mon, just broadcasting seed on top of the turf in the hopes that it will germinate is pretty ridiculous. If your lucky, maybe 5% of that seed actually becomes grass.

I've even had customers(I do irrigation) hire guys that broadcast those polymer crystals after they aerate and then try to rake it in the holes. Absolutely hilarious! All you get from that is an extremely slippery lawn.

JimLewis
08-06-2009, 07:41 PM
When seeding bare dirt, you need 10 lbs. of perennial ryegrass seed per 1000 sq. ft. When OVERseeding, you need only 5 lb.s per 1000. So for your standard 3000 sq. ft. lawn around here, you maybe need 15 lbs. of grass seed.

Going rate around here for perennial ryegrass seed (and Oregon is the perennial ryegrass seed capital of the world in terms of production) is 50 cents per pound. So we're talking $7.50 in cost of seed.

So yes, you can easily get plenty of seed for those rates. And it taked only minutes to apply it.

As for how much of the seed actually takes - in Oregon - probably most of it. Even if they don't have an irrigation system, you'd probably get 50% germination unless they apply it in the very middle of the summer and the customer isn't watering AT ALL. It's freakin' easy to grow stuff here. Fertile soil and plenty of precipitation most of the year.

As for the quality of aerating, I dunno. They seem to do about as good a job of running an aerator over a lawn as my guys do. I don't know that there is a science to it. You just run the aerator over the lawn, blow and clean-up the sidewalks, and that's about it. I haven't seen them missing strips in the lawn or anything. Quality seems to be pretty decent.

But I am sure a lot of this varies depending on your area, climate, etc. And of course, quality varies from company to company too.

Ric3077
08-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Out here the cheap guys skip strips, dont get very close to structures, don't blow off anything when done and will aerate no matter what the ground conditions are...even if it is dry as a bone they will aerate pulling only 1/4 inch plugs.

willretire@40
08-07-2009, 06:30 AM
What if I was to say on the flyer to call by 9am tomorrow to sign up? That way I could know where all the houses are and we can tell them where to leave the check. Jim next time that you talk to him can you ask him if he has non payers? Thanks

Exact Rototilling
08-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Out here the cheap guys skip strips, dont get very close to structures, don't blow off anything when done and will aerate no matter what the ground conditions are...even if it is dry as a bone they will aerate pulling only 1/4 inch plugs.My brother in Law lives in the same general area and he gets these types of flyers. And he says the quality is spotty. I doubt if it is the same Co. but the same type of operational tactic. Frankly TruGreen and Senske have dropped aeration prices down to the point of making it questionable if it's worth doing vs. just mow and blow operation.

Since I run a Plugr 850 I flat out claim more plugs than the other guys. My aeration flyers get a very solid response due to this fact. I also claim I get closer to edges etc. and the spots the other guys skip or miss. If I show up and conditions are too dry and I'm pulling divot plugs I terminate the process and reschedule. I blow off all the plugs from drive ways and walks. I'm a solo operation and quality is what I deliver.

Our summers are basically too hot and dry to aerate in the summer. Basically a Spring and fall service here.

My flyer frankly say how to water but people are often clueless. I also have the clients mark the sprinkler heads. I charge extra if I mark them. I was suckered into flagging one property this last spring to clinch the job and all I can say is never again. This individual was very Scotch and chewed me down to the Senske price. This person will not get an aeration reminder next time around...just not worth it.

Frankly aeration needs to be no less than the 1.5 times the mow and blow rate preferably closer to 2x that rate to be worth doing.

I also offer over seeding but I also use verticutter Blue Bird seeder S22 [basically a power rake with a seeder bar and hopper] to work in the seed after aeration. Personally I would not over seed with out working the seed in with the seeder verticutter.

Top dressing with a quality compost is the next step for the absolute best results but at the prices being quoted here there is no point. :hammerhead:

bigslick7878
08-07-2009, 07:20 PM
My brother in Law lives in the same general area and he gets these types of flyers. And he says the quality is spotty. I doubt if it is the same Co. but the same type of operational tactic. Frankly TruGreen and Senske have dropped aeration prices down to the point of making it questionable if it's worth doing vs. just mow and blow operation.

Since I run a Plugr 850 I flat out claim more plugs than the other guys. My aeration flyers get a very solid response due to this fact. I also claim I get closer to edges etc. and the spots the other guys skip or miss. If I show up and conditions are too dry and I'm pulling divot plugs I terminate the process and reschedule. I blow off all the plugs from drive ways and walks. I'm a solo operation and quality is what I deliver.

Our summers are basically too hot and dry to aerate in the summer. Basically a Spring and fall service here.

My flyer frankly say how to water but people are often clueless. I also have the clients mark the sprinkler heads. I charge extra if I mark them. I was suckered into flagging one property this last spring to clinch the job and all I can say is never again. This individual was very Scotch and chewed me down to the Senske price. This person will not get an aeration reminder next time around...just not worth it.

Frankly aeration needs to be no less than the 1.5 times the mow and blow rate preferably closer to 2x that rate to be worth doing.

I also offer over seeding but I also use verticutter Blue Bird seeder S22 [basically a power rake with a seeder bar and hopper] to work in the seed after aeration. Personally I would not over seed with out working the seed in with the seeder verticutter.

Top dressing with a quality compost is the next step for the absolute best results but at the prices being quoted here there is no point. :hammerhead:

I am about to invest in a nice aerator this fall, how low are the big companies going price wise? Any standard price per sq ft or anything? I would like to know what I am up against before plunking down 4k for a good piece of equipment.

That is honestly what I am most worried about. I will still try to sell quality/service like you but a lot of the times all people see is price and nothing else.

Exact Rototilling
08-08-2009, 12:29 PM
I am about to invest in a nice aerator this fall, how low are the big companies going price wise? Any standard price per sq ft or anything? I would like to know what I am up against before plunking down 4k for a good piece of equipment.

That is honestly what I am most worried about. I will still try to sell quality/service like you but a lot of the times all people see is price and nothing else.You can call those big companies and get approximate quotes. Frankly there are some part timers who saturate these specific areas and drop prices down for aeration. If the only aeration equipment out there was the a traditional rolling tine " beat you you up" type aerator I'd get out of this service pronto. It really depend on your business model and how your set up.

Plugr 850's are fairly easy to use in most conditions except for rocky and hard soil.

The Lawn Solutions rolling tine unit looks like it's the easiest to use of all the WB aerators out there. You can aerate going forward and backwards and as you can see from their video and is a far cry from the "Struggle Fest" old school type aerators.

bigslick7878
08-08-2009, 02:00 PM
You can call those big companies and get approximate quotes. Frankly there are some part timers who saturate these specific areas and drop prices down for aeration. If the only aeration equipment out there was the a traditional rolling tine " beat you you up" type aerator I'd get out of this service pronto. It really depend on your business model and how your set up.

Plugr 850's are fairly easy to use in most conditions except for rocky and hard soil.

The Lawn Solutions rolling tine unit looks like it's the easiest to use of all the WB aerators out there. You can aerate going forward and backwards and as you can see from their video and is a far cry from the "Struggle Fest" old school type aerators.

Yeah the Lawn Solution is the unit I plan on buying.

I am going to have to call around to the big companies first and see what I am up against I guess.

I am pretty small and my overhead is low, I figured that combined with the speed and ease of use of a unit like that I could compete and still make some good money.

Tonychic
08-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Well, I am one of those "flyer" aerators you guys are talking about. I am in the Metro Detroit area and this is my first year doing it. It has become much more successfull then I thought and I am starting to love it.
I have the perfect "day" job that allows me to do this. I am a Quality Engineer at a Chrysler plant ( I work for a supplier) and I can get out of the plant before noon on most days.

I flyer mailboxes on Monday and Tuesday, usually about 2000 flyers a week and this usually gets me around 20 jobs. the 1% return rate on the flyers seems to be pretty constant. (attached is my flyer)
Then I do 10 aerations on Thrusday and 10 on friday. The overhead is minimal (now that I bought the machine from Home Depot) and I make $800+ a week.

I am very new at it, so there are probably things I could do much better, but it's working for now.

I will be trying to get this much bigger next year and am wondering how? To me it is all about the flyers. The more you get out, the more jobs you get, period.

BTW: My first post :)

Ric3077
08-11-2009, 10:34 PM
$40 is way to cheap...that $800 should be more like $1,600-$2,000...why do it for cheaper than a homeowner can rent an aerator for? Just saying you can make ever MORE money if you want, and why wouldn't you want to? Many customers probably don't call you because they figure...it is way to cheap he probably is a hack...if someone said they would provide oil changes for $8.99 (cheaper than I can do it myself) I would be skeptical...same thing here.

Tonychic
08-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Well, like I said, this is new to me.
I have thought about doing a week of flyers at higher prices to see what kind of response I get. Maybe next week I'll try $60 just as a test.

BTW: the idea was to charge less then they would have to pay to rent the machine, otherwise they may just go do that and I am out of a job.

JimLewis
08-11-2009, 11:22 PM
There are a few reasons guys price these aeration jobs this cheap. First; they are done rapid-fire house by house in tight sub-divisions. So they can get quite a lot done in one day.

But even more importantly, that's the going rate. That's what every other mass-aeration company in the area charges. So it's not necessarily what the homeowner can rent the equipment for that dictates the price. When you're getting 2 flyers like this each month on your door -- all from similar companies -- why are you going to pay more than $40 or $45 when you could get it from EVERY OTHER COMPANY for that price?

So it's supply and demand. There are at least 6 or 7 companies like this in my area. People know what the going rate is and many of them won't pay a dime more.

One of my friends (I posted his flyer above) has to keep his rates so cheap year after year because otherwise he will have regular repeat customers sell him out and go with someone else just because they were $5 cheaper. People in this market these guys are after are just cheapskates.

Sure you can get more. I get $75 for the same ones my friend gets $35 or $40 for. But I cater to a different crowd. I couldn't get 20 a day at my rates, he can. We each have our place in the market.

Exact Rototilling
08-14-2009, 08:53 PM
"....snip....
Sure you can get more. I get $75 for the same ones my friend gets $35 or $40 for. But I cater to a different crowd. I couldn't get 20 a day at my rates, he can. We each have our place in the market.

Jim,

What are you doing differently to justify the $75 here and there?

Way can't you also do this same type of marketing and rake in the higher numbers? payup

At $35 to $40 I just don't see the point in bothering at all - at least for me. I'd be better off just doing mow and blow and not focusing on a one trick pony service for cheap. I thought my rates where low at $65 to $75 per smaller lawns and I advertise greater maneuverability - more of the lawn gets aerated and I pull more plugs per square foot - ALL plugs cleared off walks and driveways.

Most lawns in my area have sprinklers and I always have to factor the possibility of paying for damage.

JimLewis
08-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Jim,

What are you doing differently to justify the $75 here and there?

Not much, honestly. We can just charge more because people trust us and want to use our company over some company they don't know. We already take care of their lawn, installed their landscape, fixed their sprinklers, whatever. So they know us and trust us. They realize they could get it cheaper elsewhere but there is an understanding that we will take care of them better than another company would. If we break a head, they trust we're going to fix it. If we mess something up, they trust that they won't have to fight with us to get it corrected. If we run over a plant, they know we'll replace it.

I just take advantage of our position and reputation in the area we service. That's all. It's like that with everything we do. I am not the cheapest for lawn care or sprinkler installs or pavers or irrigation repair either (we charge $110 for the first hour and $70 each additional hour for that. A lot of guys charge $50-$60 per hour right from the get go for this service). But we have a better reputation, better name recognition, better track record and history with the people we're selling this to.

I couldn't get these kind of prices if I just went door to door like they do. But catering to OUR customers, we can.

lawn king
08-15-2009, 08:55 AM
We do approximately $15,000. per year on aeration for our annual program clients. We get a minimum of $75. I upgraded to the lawn solutions wb this spring and have a woods pl72 (3 point hitch) on order. I would like to try and increase aeration revenue by 50% or more!

green_mark
08-15-2009, 09:22 AM
We are flyering 450,000 homes this fall. Cost is about 0.06 for printing and distribution. Usually expect revenue between 0.50 - 1.00/per flier distributed. The clip and save is a big thing for Minnesota.

We keep the flier real simple looking. We have done both 'very professional' fliers and this one which is a bit cheesy. The cheesy works far better than a super nice as customers seem to feel that they are getting a better bang for the buck.

A very strange thing we have noticed this year is our business is way up and we actually anticipated a no growth year.

How is everyone else's marketing programs working?

willretire@40
08-15-2009, 04:06 PM
We are flyering 450,000 homes this fall. Cost is about 0.06 for printing and distribution. Usually expect revenue between 0.50 - 1.00/per flier distributed. The clip and save is a big thing for Minnesota.

We keep the flier real simple looking. We have done both 'very professional' fliers and this one which is a bit cheesy. The cheesy works far better than a super nice as customers seem to feel that they are getting a better bang for the buck.

A very strange thing we have noticed this year is our business is way up and we actually anticipated a no growth year.

How is everyone else's marketing programs working?

So you are expecting $225k To $450k revenue off of these flyers?

Also how are you getting your disturbution so cheap?

green_mark
08-17-2009, 10:03 AM
So you are expecting $225k To $450k revenue off of these flyers?

Also how are you getting your disturbution so cheap?

We find the companies that deliver the local newspaper for that town. I get pricing with one vendor at about 0.03 and others about 0.05 - 0.06.

All depends on volume.

willretire@40
08-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Bump it to the top.

Ramairfreak98ss
08-29-2009, 11:26 PM
You guys are funny, how y'all get that kind of money.

If I tried them kind of prices in my neck of the woods I don't even get to the upsell part,
although I will admit that if I ever did I would be so glad I wouldn't even TRY to upsell.

What do y'all do, throw lofty figures out there hoping someone will fall flat on their face and give it away?
Then again I don't suppose that's too bad a tactic, considering...

lol, i dont think the prices are BAD but, with the economy, the last thing people are doing is core aerations lol.

We do big site aerations, use a 60" landpride aerator on a diesel garden tractor on a 3pt hitch. It will flat out plug a 1.5 acre property in 20-30 minutes tops. We've done 6 , 8 and 3 acre properties at the largest off the top of my head. The wider open they are the easier. At 10mph almost, it doesnt take long.

Id charge $125-140 for 1 acre areas, $165 for 1.5 acre areas, $185 for 2 acres, and more.

if i had to do them with 20" 1mph machines id be charging $900 per 2 acre lot lol

Exact Rototilling
08-30-2009, 01:18 PM
lol, i dont think the prices are BAD but, with the economy, the last thing people are doing is core aerations lol. .....snip...."

I hope to make more $ doing fall aeration's this year than what I made all last winter on our record snow fall.

Red Lobster and Olive Garden always have a line at dinner time in my area. Unemployment is high and many are hurting. Then again in my area there are pockets of concentrated wealth.

You just need to tap the right demographics market and go for it.