PDA

View Full Version : Commercial mowers

Lawn Pro's
07-29-2009, 01:54 AM
I'm getting ready to buy a commercial walk behind and was wondering if anyone knows or has used the cubcadets?

STIHL GUY
07-31-2009, 01:04 AM
they do not seem like they would hold up to much abuse/ wear.

4.3mudder
07-31-2009, 01:07 AM
If you are talking about the Cub Cadets they sell at HD, I would not advise to buying one of those. The maneuverability is awful for me, they have the handles se up wrong, and it just isn't made for commercial use. I would look into Exmark, Toro, Scag, Gravely, any of those. I would stay way from those light duty machines.

LouisianaLawnboy
07-31-2009, 01:59 AM
Cubcadet does make a commercial line. Dunno too much bout it.

Any one of those brands 4.3mudder mentioned would be great.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lawn Pro's
07-31-2009, 04:10 AM
CubCadet Has Commercial walk Behinds not the ones at HD just researching before I buy. I know the Zero Turn Cub Cadet Tank seems to be an awesome Machine from what I've been hearing. Anyone got any input on the TANK? I'm Just researching commercial equipment before I buy because I only have a few dealers close to me theres an Exmark, Country Clipper, Cubcadet, Gravely, and Kabota near me. I'd like to have my equipment all through one dealer.

dbvolfan1
07-31-2009, 07:56 AM
My .02 on the Tank? Run like hell!
Min has 29 hrs on it and has been at the dealer for 6 of the last 8 weeks:

At ~27-28 hrs the Kawi engine started blowing/smoking oil and then dying. Dlr never could confirm with certainty what the issue was other than confirm there was unburned oil in the exhaust and a 'leak' on the RH side.
Replaced the head gasket, carb o-rings, and valve gaskets and hope it's fixed. I havent been able to confirm a fix however because it also has broken 4 belts in less than one hour since I got it back.

So, when I get this back today if it breaks another belt, it goes to a new dealer and CubCare is goingto get a nice little call from me.

That said, I know of several others around here who have worn theres out and love them. Maybe I just had sh*t luck on this one but it's far too expensive to spend a good chunk of it's first season in the shop.

LouisianaLawnboy
07-31-2009, 09:41 AM
CubCadet Has Commercial walk Behinds not the ones at HD just researching before I buy. I know the Zero Turn Cub Cadet Tank seems to be an awesome Machine from what I've been hearing. Anyone got any input on the TANK? I'm Just researching commercial equipment before I buy because I only have a few dealers close to me theres an Exmark, Country Clipper, Cubcadet, Gravely, and Kabota near me. I'd like to have my equipment all through one dealer.

My reconmendation out of the brands you listed is gravely then exmark.
Posted via Mobile Device

Stillwater
07-31-2009, 10:13 AM

6 weeks?, it doesent matter what was wrong with it your being jerked around.....

Lawn Pro's
08-01-2009, 01:27 AM
I'm looking at the Exmark Turf Tracer HP but it has a Kawi engine on it and I'm hearing bad things about that engine. Anyone running Kawaski engines having issues?

SNAPPER MAN
08-01-2009, 09:41 AM
I have used to have a Cubcadet commercial tank and it is a complete p.o.s. compared to my scag turf tiger. The cubcadet is just cheapened up to have a lower price. I would not buy another cubcadet commercial product. I stihll have a 32" cubcadet commercial walkbehind and I used to think it was the best until I got my 36" exmark metro. The exmark is by far superior in every aspect. The ESC controls are awesome, it cuts a thousand times better, and it is just an overall better machine. I would stay away from the cub's and if you want a good machine give the exmarks and scags a look.

Lawn Pro's
08-01-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm going to the Exmark dealer to look at the Laser Z and the walk behind mowers. Just alot to consider to go gear driven or Hydro, Sizes to choose and Engines so I'm doing as much research as I can.

yarddawgsllc
08-01-2009, 08:16 PM
We have been running Cub Cadet commercial units for the last 3 years and have had no complaints on reliability. Our walk behind will stripe with the best of them with only hi lift blades. We have no striping kit whats so ever. You can get a full hydro Cub for the cost of a belt drivein most other brands. If you get a Cub I recommend the Mamba Hi lift blades. These blades create an incredible vacuum under the deck. Just my two cents. And FYI Cubs are just rebadged Lesco's and these mowers are time tested.

yarddawgsllc
08-01-2009, 08:21 PM

At ~27-28 hrs the Kawi engine started blowing/smoking oil and then dying. Dlr never could confirm with certainty what the issue was other than confirm there was unburned oil in the exhaust and a 'leak' on the RH side.
Replaced the head gasket, carb o-rings, and valve gaskets and hope it's fixed. I havent been able to confirm a fix however because it also has broken 4 belts in less than one hour since I got it back.

So, when I get this back today if it breaks another belt, it goes to a new dealer and CubCare is goingto get a nice little call from me.

That said, I know of several others around here who have worn theres out and love them. Maybe I just had sh*t luck on this one but it's far too expensive to spend a good chunk of it's first season in the shop.

If you are going through that many belts then you have an obvious pulley issue. Check all your pulleys and I would be willing to bet one is bent. These get bent all the time when people switch out the belts. As far as the engine blowing smoke that is a Kawasaki issue and not Cub Cadet.

Th3BullDoz3r
08-01-2009, 08:24 PM
I have used to have a Cubcadet commercial tank and it is a complete p.o.s. compared to my scag turf tiger. The cubcadet is just cheapened up to have a lower price. I would not buy another cubcadet commercial product. I stihll have a 32" cubcadet commercial walkbehind and I used to think it was the best until I got my 36" exmark metro. The exmark is by far superior in every aspect. The ESC controls are awesome, it cuts a thousand times better, and it is just an overall better machine. I would stay away from the cub's and if you want a good machine give the exmarks and scags a look.You always talk about how great Cub Cadet's were.

ken01
08-02-2009, 02:04 PM
I have the cub 48" walk behind, had it for about 5 months ,use it for about 10 hours a week , so far it has been ok

dbvolfan1
08-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Yeah, I agree the Kawi engine is common to a lot of commercial mowers out there, just sucks that CC didnt have many of the gaskets needed to fix her in a timely manner.

As for the belts breaking it's looking like a bent idler arm although the delaer this last time around found a 'spacer' in place that they claim shouldn't have been there...looked like a plain old washer to me. They took it off and everything looked lined up propoerly. The shop says they could have put it in there by mistake last time they had the deck off but werent sure I ran it a good hour today with no problems so we'll see. If it happens again though it goes to another shop. 6 weeks down is crazy.

I know two others here in town running tanks who have had good luck with them so I hope this is just isolated bad luck.