PDA

View Full Version : Hello from CT!..Considering lawncare profession

JohnW1968
07-29-2009, 01:02 PM
Hello everyone..My name is John from Danbury, CT. I AM NOT currently involved in this industry but have been considering it for some time.

I've been a heavy equipment mechanic for some time as well as a regular mechanic prior to that! I just recently had rotator cuff surgery and out of work until at least Oct/Nov.

My doctor informed me that I have the shoulder of a 60 year old and I am only 40! This got me thinking of a career change and lawn care as well as some residential plowing in the winter sounded like it may be right for me. My only hesitation is the "income" change..but I'm only making $30 per hour with my present employer and sure it can be surpassed in due time in this industry.

I'm sure I'll be looking thru the archives here on lawnsite for many days absorbing information!!

I'm always open to advice and pointers during this consideration of career change. Thank you

John W.

Brad Ent
07-29-2009, 01:48 PM
Welcome!
I'm not sure this industry is going to be any easier on your body than being a mechanic.
From the outside this industry looks fun: self employed, working in the great outdoors, trucks, trailers, equipment, etc.
Like any profession, you gotta enjoy what you're doing or stick with it until you get to where you want to go.
My suggestion is gear up now for Fall clean-ups.
In Oct. place a small add in the local weekly paper and hire a couple of young strong guys that want to make some extra cash.
If you have a truck you can plow with offer plowing in the ad.
Start off part-time and build a solid customer base.

JohnW1968
07-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Welcome!
I'm not sure this industry is going to be any easier on your body than being a mechanic.
From the outside this industry looks fun: self employed, working in the great outdoors, trucks, trailers, equipment, etc.
Like any profession, you gotta enjoy what you're doing or stick with it until you get to where you want to go.
My suggestion is gear up now for Fall clean-ups.
In Oct. place a small add in the local weekly paper and hire a couple of young strong guys that want to make some extra cash.
If you have a truck you can plow with offer plowing in the ad.
Start off part-time and build a solid customer base.

Thanks for the advice....MY present job is just wearing me out...covered in hyd. fluid, lifting 150lb hyd. cylinders into place, working from heights that are covered in oil/grease/muck......The money is decent...but I'm just worn out!

I have to be outside...no way in H3LL I'm going to work inside a building all day!!!

Disgruntled_Veteran
07-31-2009, 02:00 AM
John first off welcome to the boards.. I have alot of friends that are mechanics and I have seen them work , I can only imagine how that work is hard on your shoulder .. Just like Brad said this is not exactly easy on the body either.. Nothin crazy but it has its moments , I will say take in the fact that you will be holding a trimmer and edger all day and that can put stress on the shoulder by the end of the day...

If you do decide to get in the business best of luck to you and this site is filled with priceless information and good people....

DLAWNS
07-31-2009, 11:12 AM
Welcome to the site. Like others said this industry is hard on the body also buy if you enjoy what you do its so worth it. I actually just had shoulder surgery last January also. I hated it and I will be having another one this winter. So I feel your pain. I wish you a speedy recovery. If you have any questions just ask.
Posted via Mobile Device

punt66
07-31-2009, 11:18 AM
If your just mowing then its a piece of cake! Get a ztr and a light trimmer and you will do fine. I dont even break a sweat mowing. If you get into other things like mulch, instals, and even plowing then it will get more demanding. As far as your $30hr job goes, yes you can make more in LC but you never get to punch out. Also it will take a while to get the income to where you want it and thats where most people fail. You have to set yourself up for the long haul. The third year is when you usually begin to shine.

godzilla
08-02-2009, 02:00 AM
Don't forget the leaf clean-ups. Not gonna be able to get away from those. Not sure where you are at in Danbury, but a lot of the ones I do are FAR from easy.

On another note, I cut 1 in Danbury today, normally 25 min by myself in and out for $50. Today because of all the rain it took me about 2 hrs.