PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Herbicide mixing jugs reasonable

DA Quality Lawn & YS
07-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Guys,

After the spring and early summer rounds of squirts, I have already grown tired of 'mixing on the fly' with my small backpack operation. What a pain, and does not look all that professional either.

I would like to take 1/2 step up, and purchase some 4 -5 gallon poly mixing jugs in which I will premix 3-way+sticker (or other chems as needed) at home - therefore enabling me to simply pour into my backpack on the job. This would be a good time and energy saver for now, until I assess if I want to step up to a skid/ride-on for next season.

Where can I purchase these types of jugs? Would preferrably like to do online with someone reputable. Thanks!

DA Quality Lawn & YS
07-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Bump - this is an easy question I think, someone out there has to have a lead.

xtreem3d
07-29-2009, 08:10 PM
not sure this is what your asking but you could google Jeg's or Summit racing and take a look at their different color assortment of racing fuel jugs, one color for each pre-mix maybe?...i bought some a while ago for giant scale R/C..if it's not jegs/summit just google race fuel jugs and you should find it,
steve

grandview (2006)
07-29-2009, 08:12 PM
You can put it in anything. Just don't get caught ,big fines.

LawnoftheMonth
07-29-2009, 08:26 PM
I asked my chemical supplier this exact same question for the exact same reasons, he said he stopped selling mix and pour containers because it was against epa regulations to have the chemicals in anything but original containers.

You can get them from Crate and Barrel :)

EVM
07-29-2009, 08:45 PM
he said he stopped selling mix and pour containers because it was against epa regulations to have the chemicals in anything but original containers.

I think that is the same way here but you can put chem in different containers. You just need to have the label on the container.

LawnoftheMonth
07-29-2009, 09:07 PM
I asked my chemical supplier this exact same question for the exact same reasons, he said he stopped selling mix and pour containers because it was against epa regulations to have the chemicals in anything but original containers.

Edit, The Container Store.

Runner
07-29-2009, 10:30 PM
I just got a supplycatalog sent to me (actually 2) from this company I've never heard of, bu man,..they have EVERYthing. These jugs are n their catalog, too. I'll go see what the catalog is....
ok,...they are called ULINE. they are actually a shipping supply outfit. Boxes, conveyers, bags, all sorts of things. Cool catalog. Go to their website www.uline.com and look under material handling, then look under pails. They have the screw on lids with pour spouts in 3.5 and 5 gallon sizes. They also carry the jugs like the chem jug we get, but they only go up to 2.5 gallon. These are what I use to carry my water in for refilling the PG.

pinto n mwr
07-30-2009, 12:36 AM
northern tool, white jugs, 5 gals. I've used them for premixed round up soultions before. Just buy gas cans. Sounds like you're a one man op so it would only be you to ell the difference.

Puttinggreens
07-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Why not just use tip n pour containers for the chemicals and a larger jug for water. The tip n pours make measuring a very quick task.

Less mixed up solution in the truck when you are traveling, less chance for a spill.

bug-guy
07-30-2009, 06:10 PM
you always run a risk carrying pre-mixed chem as far as spills and such. but i believe to be legal the container should be in good condition with a secured lid would be acceptable as long as you a fixed the label of the product and some notes on the dilution.
your best bet would to mount a nurse tank on the truck(ideally with some kind of agitation) like a 25 gal electric spray tank and use that to fill the back packs and also coulds be used if you moved up to a ride on unit

david shumaker
07-31-2009, 09:20 PM
I just ordered a bunch of quart, 1 gallon, 2 gal. and 3 gallon plastic sprayers from Chapin Sprayers. Now I have a separate sprayer for the chemicals I use most and don't have to constantly rinse a tank when changing chemicals. Chapin has some cheap prices on some closeout sprayers and shipping is cheap. Instead of storing your chemical mix in a plastic container, you will already have it in a sprayer. Their closeout sprayers are really low priced and are decent sprayers. I think their web address is: www.chapinmfg.com.

Search Chapin Sprayers and you will come up with it.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I checked out all of your sources all were helpful.
Got some containers ordered, 5 gallon.
There was a poster on this thread that said these types of jugs were not 'proper' for chemical premix transport. If that was the case, then all you guys using nurse tanks with premix would be out of luck too.