PDA

View Full Version : How much labor for 30 pallets sod?

andyslawncare
07-29-2009, 02:08 PM
I would like to drop 30 pallets in one day. How many people would any of you have to get this done?

We have a skid with pallet forks to make it faster to drop on the ground. We are using square pieces, not rolls.

MarcSmith
07-29-2009, 02:28 PM
figure about a man hour per pallet, assuming you can get the pallets right to the area you are working the ground is prepped and ready to go. and you have a lot of wide open space and not a lot of cut-in work and that the sod doesn't fall apart when you grab it...

Sharpen up your machetes

csl
07-29-2009, 06:43 PM
i make my guys lay 1000 sq. feet per hour per man. but i am a bit of a slave driver. you also need to figure in all your cutting and what the shape is. how is the grading, do you need to rake as you go?

Bigred350
07-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Get a roller attachment for your skidsteer. You can lay rolls in a 1/2 of the time.

Whitey4
07-29-2009, 10:17 PM
1000 square feet per hour is bustin a nut, but doable if the sod is flat, not rolled, the sod can be dropped at the install sight without wheelbarreling and that is with no cutting. Can one guy lay 8000 square feet in 8 hours? Even with no cutting and no wheelbareling? That is slave driving.

Murphy's LawnCare
07-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Thats about 30 man hrs worth of work so 3 or 4 guys 10-12 hrs should get the job done.

MarcSmith
07-30-2009, 06:38 AM
i make my guys lay 1000 sq. feet per hour per man. but i am a bit of a slave driver.

the key is that while many can start hard and fast, by the end of the day productivity is down. Plus you have to remember you have to make sure the guys can work the next day as well. they bustanut on one day and are worth jack the next...

Stillwater
07-30-2009, 09:26 AM
nope 2 days.............

csl
07-31-2009, 12:22 AM
we have a lot of machinery, so i guess i should have mentioned that too. but 1000 feet per man isnt impossible and quality doesnt slide either. you have to remember that our season is short, so we have to bust ass quick. we laid 43,000 feet of sod in two days with only 3 guys. the field was already prepped, and it was a large rectangle. it also depends on experiemce. as dumb as it sounds, there is some skill involved with sod and being able to throw it down and judge where the next roll needs to be placed.

MarcSmith
07-31-2009, 05:54 AM
as dumb as it sounds, there is some skill involved with sod and being able to throw it down and judge where the next roll needs to be placed.as obvious as it is green side up isn't the only issue.:)

Having worked with two climates, FLA or VA, working the the peices of sod is much easier, but very tiring on the hands/fingers. where as the rolls of fescue you lay more per hunk-o-sod but the pieces are heavier and its more back strain...

but if you can ever go BIG ROLL its a life saver...

AGLA
07-31-2009, 07:13 AM
... it also depends on experiemce. as dumb as it sounds, there is some skill involved with sod and being able to throw it down and judge where the next roll needs to be placed.
Location, location, location!
the key is that while many can start hard and fast, by the end of the day productivity is down. Plus you have to remember you have to make sure the guys can work the next day as well. they bustanut on one day and are worth jack the next...
That is for sure. And day #2 will see a big drop off as well.

The key is to keep records of jobs like this in order to be as accurate as possible the next time. Any two companies could have much different production rates, so you can't rely on others .