PDA

View Full Version : New to the business

sproston lawn care
07-29-2009, 03:39 PM
I been working for a company building baseball and football Field i have always wanted to start my own mowing company since i was young just wondering if its worth it i make 10 a hr now no insurance no nothing. just wondering if its worth leaving that job to start my own and be happy doing it i have 6 yards i mow on the side now any input would be great thank you

g21
07-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Yes, being in business for yourself can be very rewarding but very challenging. I think you are going about it the right way. I would continue to grow your account-base on the side until it gets to where you can't handle both. Then you can make an educated decision. But I want to tell you that sports field construction is one of the very few segments of the green undustry that is really flourishing right now. It's a great part of the industry to learn. You will later be able to bid on field maintenance that will let you compete agaisnt a much smaller group of contractors for work. So I would incourage you to stay doing it for a while and learn "every aspect" of field construction and maintenance. This will pay off "big" down the road. I know it's going to be real tuff and sometimes discouraging coming home from your day job, hooking up your rig and going out to do more work. But keep in mind we are in real tough ecconomic times and they are going to get worse before they get better. I would be very careful before leaving the security of a full-time job even if it's only 10 bucks an hour. Keep plugging away and if you need any help, don't hesitate to ask. Good Luck.
Tommy

DLAWNS
07-30-2009, 08:37 AM
I agree with Tommy...I would stick it out for a while and keep building your clients on the side. Good luck in whatever you decide and welcome to the site!