PDA

View Full Version : Anyone for Carpenter Ants????

bx24
07-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Okay I have been using Talstar for about 4 years (up in Ma and Tx) and worked mint. This year in MA I am having issues with Carpenter ants in my own home..Not a huge issue but it, I think , is due to all the rain and me spraying the complete yard. Look for water, scouting etc...Or Bifenthrin is washed out (the residue) on the house outline...

So my questions is would using Termidor SC be better or wasting time, money etc. Seems like Bifen does the same thing..

I did a search and come up with a mix..This is not for lawns so that I do not care.

Thx

coiclawn
07-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Instead of blasting the exterior of your house, why not locate the nest and eliminate the problem?

bug-guy
07-29-2009, 04:04 PM
carpenter ants are tough ... bait usually does not work as they are less aggressive and the more agressive ones will get the bait... spraying is not too effective since most only are active from dusk to dawn.
my advice is to go out at night and locate them tracking and find the nest.
if this proves difficult and they are tracking you could spray them with one of the non-repellants that will transfer to colony mates and be done with it in a few days

bx24
07-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Instead of blasting the exterior of your house, why not locate the nest and eliminate the problem?

Well I have tried that and I have woods on 3 sides on my house...I know the trails on my property but that is it *can travel over 200 feet*. I do not have time & energy to spend hours looking all over and NOT on my property.

I am 90% they are living outside and not in the house.

I would not be "blasting the house since I would only use the lower rates...I am using the baits concurrently till I get an good answer on the orginal question.

bx24
07-29-2009, 04:06 PM
carpenter ants are tough ... bait usually does not work as they are less aggressive and the more agressive ones will get the bait... spraying is not too effective since most only are active from dusk to dawn.
my advice is to go out at night and locate them tracking and find the nest.
if this proves difficult and they are tracking you could spray them with one of the non-repellants that will transfer to colony mates and be done with it in a few days

I hear ya..Never had an issue this year yup! I put 24 baits all over in the area they are. I keep seeing dead ants outside and I have not seen ants inside for 3 days..I baited 8 days ago. But I, knock on wood, say it is not over..It is a war..

Between POA in grass (prograss), yellow jackets last year (gone now :)) and this..it neverends! LOL

I tried looking outside, when the bats come out (8:30 PM EST) and find nothing. I see a few during the day..

bx24
07-29-2009, 05:07 PM
I would think Bifen is LESS then Termidor SC on ants apps.

Greg Amann
07-29-2009, 07:56 PM
I vote for using Termidor per the label and you will solve your problem.

I have been doing it since they came out with the supplemental label years ago that covered carpenter ants and it has worked every time.

I tell the customer to give it one week. If they see live one after a week call me and I will come back. I on very rare occasion have a callback.

humble1
07-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Termidor,
There was a study in PCT Mag, 4 ants in contact with termidor tranfered enough AI to kill over 200 additional ants. A 50X kill, spray the foundation and you will be good. Baits work well if they will accept it, certain times of year they want carbs and certain times protein I forget when though. I am almost pos spring is carbs.