PDA

View Full Version : pavers around pool, need experienced advice

csl
07-29-2009, 06:40 PM
hey everyone. we do 10,000' or more of pavers a year, but we hardly ever do them around pools. we have consistantly poured a concrete skirt around the pool (3' all around,) then installed our 1" of sand and then pavers. we dont do any gunite pools, only inground vinyl with poly walls. this is the way our pool guys have always had us do them. we are in the northwest (spokane) and do get a lot of freeze/thaw, so this is why i havent done it any other way. now that i do more research, i see a lot of people dont do this. can we hand compact all around the pool, gravel, compact, lay sand, compact, pave, compact? its about a $60,000 pool, and i am not trying to cut corners, but i do want to save them some money and labor. so please, anyone with EXPERIENCE let me know what you have done. thanks.

zedosix
07-29-2009, 08:10 PM
hey everyone. we do 10,000' or more of pavers a year, but we hardly ever do them around pools. we have consistantly poured a concrete skirt around the pool (3' all around,) then installed our 1" of sand and then pavers. we dont do any gunite pools, only inground vinyl with poly walls. this is the way our pool guys have always had us do them. we are in the northwest (spokane) and do get a lot of freeze/thaw, so this is why i havent done it any other way. now that i do more research, i see a lot of people dont do this. can we hand compact all around the pool, gravel, compact, lay sand, compact, pave, compact? its about a $60,000 pool, and i am not trying to cut corners, but i do want to save them some money and labor. so please, anyone with EXPERIENCE let me know what you have done. thanks.

Help me understand....... are you installing pavers from the concrete deck out or are you installing pavers right up to waters edge?

cmatheny
07-29-2009, 09:53 PM
If you are installing as the pool coping(no concrete deck), you have to pour a concrete footing and install with mortor and grout around the pool and then use the proper installation of pavers. I like to use a complementary paver for the coping and then another for the decking, ex: Belgard urbana large squares for the coping and Belgard Mega Arbel for the deck. I (think) attached a picture of one I am just finishing.

csl
07-31-2009, 12:11 AM
i am installing the pavers up to waters edge. we usually pour the concrete the depth of the pavers, plus 1", below the water surface. so if we use a palermo tumbled that is 2.15" thick, we pour 3.15" below surface of water. we could cope the enite pool, but will this be able to withstand any linear movement. thanks again

zedosix
08-01-2009, 01:12 AM
i am installing the pavers up to waters edge. we usually pour the concrete the depth of the pavers, plus 1", below the water surface. so if we use a palermo tumbled that is 2.15" thick, we pour 3.15" below surface of water. we could cope the enite pool, but will this be able to withstand any linear movement. thanks again

How much movement are you talking about. I think if you were to use a flexible thinset mortar it would be good. We do many pool paver projects and haven't run into any problems as of now. We typically install on steel walled pools but also around the steps which are made of fibreglass and are quite flexible in nature. Ask the pool builder if he has any issues with you doing this.

csl
08-01-2009, 04:27 PM
our pool guys use the large poly forms, so we are able to make any size or shape pool we need to. the steps and everything else are all custom made and mortared in. my only concern is that we cant get a vibratory compactor around the pool, for risk that we may cave in a side wall. so without rebar and heavy compaction i worry about lateral movement with the pavers. it will be about 1100 square feet of pavers around the pool, so i only want to do it once. so like i said, i just dont want to have to pour a concrete pad to support any pool movement, then overlay pavers.

PSUTURFGEEK
08-01-2009, 11:27 PM
One other factor to keep in mind is the Pavers warranty, with so many consumers going to salt water pools you may want to look into a company that has a lifetime warranty against salt damage.

Junior M
08-01-2009, 11:48 PM
our pool guys use the large poly forms, so we are able to make any size or shape pool we need to. the steps and everything else are all custom made and mortared in. my only concern is that we cant get a vibratory compactor around the pool, for risk that we may cave in a side wall. so without rebar and heavy compaction i worry about lateral movement with the pavers. it will be about 1100 square feet of pavers around the pool, so i only want to do it once. so like i said, i just dont want to have to pour a concrete pad to support any pool movement, then overlay pavers.
Never seen a pool cave in from compaction as long as you are compacting up above, not as you are backfilling, it should be fine.

but the pools we build and work around are vinyl liners with metal walls. Maybe there is more of a risk being the type of wall. But I'd make sure the pool is backfilled first, let set for a couple days to settle and make sure the pool has water in it before doing your compaction.

Are you doing the backfill and all or are you just doing the dirt work you need to lay pavers? because if you are doing the backfill, do not compact the dirt as you putting it in the over dig, this may cause the walls to shift or cave in. :nono:

zedosix
08-02-2009, 12:35 AM
so like i said, i just dont want to have to pour a concrete pad to support any pool movement, then overlay pavers.

With a concrete pad you don't have to worry about compacting around the pool, and the overlay is a breeze imo.

csl
08-02-2009, 02:14 PM
yeah we will be doing all the excavation, utilities and backfill. i am leaning towards just pouring the pad and doing an overlay. then when i get beyond the 3' pad i will lay the pavers in our normal install way. thanks for the help, and if anyone has anymore advice it would be appreciated.

AztlanLC
08-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Have you tough about using flowable fill that way the concrete pad wont be noticeable after couple of season.

csl
08-08-2009, 07:14 PM
???? i have no idea what any of that means????

hoagind
08-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Correct ... Vinyl liner pools have a 3' overdig at least. A flowable fill is needed to back fill the overdig in order to get the compaction level needed to support the pavers and not have settling. "Flowable Fill" is a concrete mixture heavier on the cement/sand side rather than aggregate. Most companies will provide a smaller aggregate to allow for the stength but will rely on the cement/sand to "flow" rather than "slump" like that of 3/4 stone.

This FFM will allow for you to put a mortar bonding area around the coping in order to install either flagstone, coping brick, etc. From there, either compact GAB and sand accordingly. Hope this helps.