PDA

View Full Version : Mec Amine D

rcreech
07-29-2009, 07:53 PM
I have always used 3-Way or Triplet and get awesome results.

Got a price on a 250 gallon tote today of Mec Amine D today and it is about $1.75 less then Triplet and $2.45 less then 3-Way.

Anyone got any take on this product or ever used it?

Don't want to go to another product and save money if it doesn't work as well.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
RC

jbturf
07-29-2009, 08:00 PM
i dont use it but a buddy of mine does, and seems to be happy with it
it is low cost per k , i cant recall the makeup other than a high percentage
of 24d, ill have to look it up
but isnt that an awful lot of product to be sittin on?
how many years will it take you to use up that quantity?

grassman177
07-29-2009, 08:07 PM
hey rod, used to use it but had to add mcpp to it to gain great control over hard to control weeds like clover and the like. honestly i woulod not make the switch, but then again this was two gal per k out of of my tank and not a zspray at lower volume, it may work better there. you can always get a 2.5 gal to try out but it just was not as good as trimec 992 which was what i was using at that time. just my thoughts

rcreech
07-29-2009, 08:10 PM
i dont use it but a buddy of mine does, and seems to be happy with it
it is low cost per k , i cant recall the makeup other than a high percentage
of 24d, ill have to look it up
but isnt that an awful lot of product to be sittin on?
how many years will it take you to use up that quantity?

I have reviewed the label and it looks to be a fine product...just don't like to change unless I know I am not giving up any quality.

I go through about 500-550 gallon of broadleaf concentrate a year. I don't sit on it long and actually just finishing up the one I just bought in April! Plus I save another $2 over guys buying in 30's.

americanlawn
07-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Mec-Amine D is identical to Trimec 992.

2,4 D 30.5%.
MCPA 8.17%
Dicamba 2.77%
Inert = 58.5%

We've used both. We switched to MecAmine-D several years ago. Better price too (UAP/CPS). Works great for fall weed & feed app's, but we spike it with Chaser ester for creeping Charlie lawns.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
07-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Mec Amine is a great product. Been using it for years. Cheap & gets the job done. I always use LI700 or Liberate penetrant/spreader with it.

And it is sprayed through a Z-Spray:usflag:

jbturf
07-29-2009, 08:49 PM
I have reviewed the label and it looks to be a fine product...just don't like to change unless I know I am not giving up any quality.

I go through about 500-550 gallon of broadleaf concentrate a year. I don't sit on it long and actually just finishing up the one I just bought in April! Plus I save another $2 over guys buying in 30's.

wow thats ALOT of herbicide and spraying
certainly sounds like a good option for you

was it you rc that was setting up metered nozzle for your herbi?

philk17088
07-29-2009, 08:51 PM
I have used it the last 2 years and really like it. For heavy clover, I use the higher rate and add a shot of surfactant. Cheaper than the Trimec Classic Iwas using.

americanlawn
07-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Sounds good buddy -- we tried Liberate, but we didn't get the quick "burndown" that we get from LI700 (the awefull smell stuff). :laugh:

Our water has a pH of 8.2 to 8.8 on any given day, so we like the buffering properties that LI700 provides.

How much LI700 to you mix per 100 gallons? Thanks.

p.s. Is adding LI700 really needed for an early fall weed & feed? (we've had good results without it -- especially when mixed with liquid fert) The liquid fert seems to double as a spreader/sticker & penetrant. rscvp, thanks

I can understand using LI700 for ride-ons (granular fert), but for pulling hoses using liquid fert is another matter. Just thought I'd clear it up. Thanks.

Mec Amine is a great product. Been using it for years. Cheap & gets the job done. I always use LI700 or Liberate penetrant/spreader with it.

And it is sprayed through a Z-Spray:usflag:

rcreech
07-29-2009, 09:20 PM
was it you rc that was setting up metered nozzle for your herbi?

Yep!

It is a really simple set up! 10 gallon tank, 3 gpm Delavan pump and oz meter. LOVE IT!

It works great, no measuring, and it is a very clean fill with No drips, spills or splashing!

EJK2352
07-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Yep!

It is a really simple set up! 10 gallon tank, 3 gpm Delavan pump and oz meter. LOVE IT!

It works great, no measuring, and it is a very clean fill with No drips, spills or splashing!

Got any pics.?????????

rcreech
07-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Got any pics.?????????

Thought I posted pics of this but couldn't find them. Just ran out to the truck and shot these.

Will have one in my box truck soon.

They are a must...but kind of an expensive option~!

jbturf
07-29-2009, 10:46 PM
you must get some funny looks from the eco tree huggers zipin by u in their prius'
just kidin
nice setup
do you have yet another pump to go from the bulk tank
to the 10 g transfer tank?

FdLLawnMan
07-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Hey Rod, Mec-Amine D is the same formulation as Three-Way & Trimec. I have used it in the fall for my weed & feed with a spreader sticker and it works well. I have had very good luck killing ground ivy in the fall with it. I always use a good spreader sticker with my herbicides. Do you blanket in the spring and fall or just spot most of the time?

rcreech
07-29-2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks guys! I guess I will go ahead and get it ordered! I was sure it would be ok...but wanted to check with my lawn buddies first just to make sure!

THANKS AGAIN!

Mike,

I blanket spring and fall and just spot in between if needed.

How are things up North?

grassman177
07-30-2009, 08:20 AM
i guess i am always the odd man out, i always get less results withgeneric, with exception of honcho plus i switched to recently instead of round up. it ios a 41% gly with surfactant from montsanto(sp) and it works great. happy shopping and spraying rodney

lush&green
07-30-2009, 08:53 AM
I use Mech D and it's ok. Not sure if its the product of the operator not getting the kill. Off topic though, for those who run low volume ride-ons, what other products do you run thru your ride ons. I have a pg ultra. Anyone ever use trimec plus? The label wants more water than we put out and I am also afraid of burn when it gets hotter.

FdLLawnMan
07-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Mike,

I blanket spring and fall and just spot in between if needed.

How are things up North?

Hello Rodney.
We had a great May & June with moisture and then July got a little dry. The mowing guys had to go every other week at best. The weeds went nuts around late June. They seemed to germinate later than usual and over an extended period of time, not something I was used to. We are close to having the coldest July on record which makes it nice to work. What do you do with the tote when you are done with it?

LawnTamer
07-30-2009, 11:17 AM
I have always used 3-Way or Triplet and get awesome results.

Got a price on a 250 gallon tote today of Mec Amine D today and it is about $1.75 less then Triplet and $2.45 less then 3-Way.

Anyone got any take on this product or ever used it?

Don't want to go to another product and save money if it doesn't work as well.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
RC

Don't do it. By comparing labels, one would think Mec-Amine D is a fine product, but it doesn't work well at all. I don't know why, but it doesn't. It doesn't have the rich smell or color of 3-way or triplet, and it has extremely slow action. I don't know if they are using a mecoprop that is formulated, or synthesized differently, or if they don't use the same adjuvants, I just know that the results are not the same. I have spoken with 3 other LCOs that had the same experience.

haulingrass
07-30-2009, 01:48 PM
If you read the labels, Mec Amine D, Three Way, And Trimec 992 contain EXACTLY the same chemistry, including MCPP (mecoprop) Again, EXACT SAME LABEL, different name...

JDUtah
07-30-2009, 03:42 PM
If you read the labels, Mec Amine D, Three Way, And Trimec 992 contain EXACTLY the same chemistry, including MCPP (mecoprop) Again, EXACT SAME LABEL, different name...

What about the inert ingredients? These can differ. And you should know from your certification that these can affect the quality of control almost as much as the active ingredients...

Think of it like drinking a sugar tonic. Sugar is the 'active ingredient'. In one sugar is mixed with water and you are aok (it will be in your blood stream quickly), in the other tonic the the sugar is mixed with heated tar... I dare you to drink and absorb the sugar from that...

Inert ingredients ARE important!

I tested it today mixed with quicksilver on... clover, black medic, spiny lettuce, bindweed, and a few spurges... If i remember to I'll post what I observe.

Maybe someone knows why Gordon makes Trimec 992 and Trimec Turf Herbiced? And why the LD50's are different if they are the SAME EXACT thing? My bet is because the inert ingredients...

haulingrass
07-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Touche. As far as actives, exactly the same.

Inert- Not readily reactive with other elements; forming few or no chemical compounds

I have never had an issue with inerts, however, I am not one to say it absolutely does not matter. Your experience seemingly far exceeds my own, but after checking into inert ingredients registered with the EPA, I got tired of looking after page 20 of 72! Long story short, I would say they are all three VERY similar.

rcreech
07-31-2009, 12:19 AM
I ordered it today...and have no worries!

A lot of times I hear complaints about products...but lets keep in mind that it could be personal error.

If a guy is spraying at 1.1 oz/k and says the product didn't work then technically it's not the products fault as much as the use rate or possible even calibration!

Looking at the AI and listening to the testimonies on here I am confident I made the right decision.

Thanks,
RC

dishboy
07-31-2009, 12:32 AM
Mec Amine D works great with MSO and a 21-0-0 push.

VARMIT COMMISSION
07-31-2009, 07:33 AM
I was running low on "triplett" last year and went into a UAP and purchased Mec Amine D so I did not have to drive back to the shop and the results were the same as triplett. I have yet to get a "3-way" product regardless of the name brand and be unhappy with it.

rcreech
07-31-2009, 08:24 AM
I was running low on "triplett" last year and went into a UAP and purchased Mec Amine D so I did not have to drive back to the shop and the results were the same as triplett. I have yet to get a "3-way" product regardless of the name brand and be unhappy with it.

10-4

I have used several and agree also. AI is AI and I will even use generics as much as possible.

The only reason I asked...was a while back I heard some scuttle on this product.

Thanks!

brizine
07-31-2009, 08:23 PM
Gone thru a couple of 55 gal. drums of it and no problems.