PDA

View Full Version : Anyone advertise like this? I think it could work very well...

MowingMowingMowing
07-29-2009, 11:10 PM
I think I might do this for aeration this fall.

This would be on top of my current customers and other flyers. I got done too fast last time (24 hr. rental....18 jobs with a helper last year= wasted rental time) and want to maximize my aeration time.

Ok, well I got this idea from a guy that sells roofs and it seems to work well for him, here goes...

Find a desired neighborhood (s), area, etc. go by in the morning the day or so before you plan on aerating and flyer the houses. Leave a flyer/doorhanger saying something like "We will be aerating in your neighborhood tomorrow, call us at 111-111-1111 to schedule or simply leave an envelope with payment on the screen door and we will swing by the neighborhood sometime tomorrow." ---- not exactly like that, but along those lines

Then at night, say around 5 p.m. and on, go back to this neighborhood(s), knock on the doors, introduce yourself, "I'm Steve from ********* Lawn Care, I left the aeration flyer on your door, did you get a chance to look at it?"

Then you go from there talking with the homeowner. This would also be the 2nd time the homeowner sees you (we all know about name recognition and how many times the customer needs to see you before making a buy)

Has anyone ever tried this? Any thoughts as to if it is a good idea?

I can think of a couple downsides to this, but think it has potential. What are your thoughts?

Puddle of Oil
07-31-2009, 05:17 PM
it sounds kinda demanding to me! whats wrong with just leaving the flyer on the door??? if they need you they'll just give you a ring! i personally would skip the whole flyer thing but thats just me!

grandview (2006)
07-31-2009, 05:26 PM
A lot of guys who seal driveways around here put out a card with the price ,then about 2 weeks later you see a ton of drives sealed all in one day. So maybe work something like that.

MiguelTX
07-31-2009, 10:01 PM
We get these type of flyers at our house. They paint your house number on the curb, black font over a white background. I think they only charge $10 for the basic painting but you can upgrade by having a local sports team logo, etc. The flyers are usually hot pink and they instruct you to attach payment and put the flyer somewhere that can be visible from the street. It must work because a lot of homes in our area have their house numbers painted on the curb. :)

STIHL GUY
07-31-2009, 10:24 PM
it seems like a good idea but i would not bother them by knocking around dinner time. if they need it done they will call the # on your flier

berry bro
07-31-2009, 11:33 PM
that job you were tlkin bout the one were they paint the numbers on the drive way does anybody know about that do you have to have a speacial permit and i still think the best way to advertise is goin door to door and talkin to people thats where i had my best luck

MiguelTX
07-31-2009, 11:39 PM
that job you were tlkin bout the one were they paint the numbers on the drive way does anybody know about that do you have to have a speacial permit and i still think the best way to advertise is goin door to door and talkin to people thats where i had my best luck
I don't think you need a permit but I could be wrong. I think the curbs belong to the county but they don't have a "painting on the curb" police division. My neighbor did his own curb with a stencil and it looks just as good as all the others.

berry bro
07-31-2009, 11:56 PM
ok thanks cuz i am looking for jobs for the winter so that might be an option

B & B Yardscape
08-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Out of town tree service company does that. They will have one job on the street and send a guy to all the neighbors to see if they want a deal because they are in the area.

Put flyer out a week and then a day before. I personally wouldn't knock on the door.

MiguelTX
08-02-2009, 04:23 PM
The times they put flyers in our neighborhood, they taped them to the mailbox. It's against Federal law to put (or take) mail inside a mailbox but I think the outside is OK. Don't quote me on that though... Taping small flyer to a mailbox can save you a TON of time: you drive and your helper does all the taping! :)

badzook
08-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Try that in my neighborhood and you'll be arrested before you know it. Here it is illegal to go door to door or put flyers on car windows. It is known as illegal soliciting. Even the door to door church members soliciting new members have been fined. There are laws that are different in each town. You need to check with local authorities before doing it. There are places that do not have these rules but I'll bet most do have these laws.

Badzook

J-Man
08-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Knocking door-to-door is good. I know from my personal experience, I have called just to check in with customers and they say, I'm glad you called, I've been meaning to call you.....They may get the flyer on the door and want to call but by the time they get in the house, the dog needs to go out, the answering machine light is blinking and on and on and they completely forgot about you.

MiguelTX
08-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Try that in my neighborhood and you'll be arrested before you know it. Here it is illegal to go door to door or put flyers on car windows. It is known as illegal soliciting. Even the door to door church members soliciting new members have been fined. There are laws that are different in each town. You need to check with local authorities before doing it. There are places that do not have these rules but I'll bet most do have these laws.

Badzook
Going door-to-door has been challenged in court before. I think it's protected under "free speech" even if there's a "no soliciting" sign on the neighborhood entrance. Gated communities cannot be entered. Local and State Laws might be passed but it's protected under Federal Law.

badzook
08-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Going door-to-door has been challenged in court before. I think it's protected under "free speech" even if there's a "no soliciting" sign on the neighborhood entrance. Gated communities cannot be entered. Local and State Laws might be passed but it's protected under Federal Law.

Not true.. It is not protected under "Free Speach Laws". Do that in my neighborhood and be prepared to to explain that theory to the Police. You can be arrested and charged with unlawfull solicitation and trespassing for doing just this sort of thing. Apparently, only Religious parties are exempted from these laws not businesses...:nono:

http://www.westchestergov.com/consumer/DoortoDoor/doortodoorsolicitations.htm

There are also Local laws preventing putting Flyers on cars and Federal laws against leaving flyers on mailboxes.

Check with your local authorities for local laws and obtaining the necessary permits before investing your money on printing flyers or doorhangers. :dizzy:

MiguelTX
08-04-2009, 01:27 AM
Not true.. It is not protected under "Free Speach Laws". Do that in my neighborhood and be prepared to to explain that theory to the Police. You can be arrested and charged with unlawfull solicitation and trespassing for doing just this sort of thing. Apparently, only Religious parties are exempted from these laws not businesses...:nono:

http://www.westchestergov.com/consumer/DoortoDoor/doortodoorsolicitations.htm

There are also Local laws preventing putting Flyers on cars and Federal laws against leaving flyers on mailboxes.

Check with your local authorities for local laws and obtaining the necessary permits before investing your money on printing flyers or doorhangers. :dizzy:
Sounds like your community is money-grabbing. They say that you CAN go door-to-door if you PAY THEM FIRST. :laugh:

SCOTUS voted 8-to1 on this very issue. They said, "...the court reasoned that the First Amendment right to free speech includes the entitlement to take a message directly to someone's door, and that the right cannot be limited by a requirement to register by name ahead of time." (http://www.freedomforum.org/templates/document.asp?documentID=16431)

Of course, Local and State Laws can say whatever they want BUT Federal Law supersedes all. Yeah, I know most people don't have the time or money to challenge the law then hire a lawyer and take it to court, blah blah blah. So most people just roll over and let their Local Government dictate.

For the record: I fully support a ban on door-to-door sales! I don't mind flyers, but I sure do dislike hearing the doorbell ring at dinner time! :mad:

BTW, the link you posted has this on the bottom of the page: "Finally, a word of note…… Many of these local ordinances were enacted some time ago. In the meantime, several courts, including the United States Supreme Court, have ruled that peddler/solicitor laws cannot be lawfully applied to religious, political and charitable solicitation. However, that does not mean that you must entertain visits from religious, political and charitable solicitors. You are still entitled to tell them that they are not welcome at your home and send them on their way." This one paragraph is the KEY to what SCOTUS already said. They are actually confirming it! :)

MnGreen
08-04-2009, 01:48 AM
City ordinances vary as well as the enforcement.
Here you can "advertise" hand out fliers, knockers, etc.
It becomes "soliciting" when you approach the individual and try to sell the service.

MiguelTX
08-04-2009, 01:54 AM
City ordinances vary as well as the enforcement.
Here you can "advertise" hand out fliers, knockers, etc.
It becomes "soliciting" when you approach the individual and try to sell the service.
"Theoretically, Girl Scouts would have to get such a permit to sell cookies, as would a candidate for the school board or a student raising money for a class trip." (http://www.freedomforum.org/templates/document.asp?documentID=16431)

There are more holes in these local laws than in swiss cheese. :D