PDA

View Full Version : Throw & go sod "companies"

lawncuttinfoo
07-29-2009, 11:26 PM
I have yet to see one of these guys use sod staples, whats up? Don't have to mow it so f the lawn company?

To add to it they usually tell the homeowner to water it 4 times a day for the next 4 months, at which time the sod has still not rooted to the soil because of the saturation.

Rant over.

Bigred350
07-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Why do they need to use sod staples?

Smallaxe
07-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Too much mythology about sod... to be sure...

crazymike
08-01-2009, 08:04 PM
I don't use sod staples unless it's extreme slope and high traffic and I've never had a problem.

Also, most home-owners will water it heavy for a few days and then get bored with it, forget. So you have to be dramatic about watering. You can tell them till your blue and the face you won't warranty it if it dies from lack of water, it still makes you look bad when it dies.

IMO, when doing sod jobs it's the perfect opportunity to sell them a sprinkler system. In which case I can set the timer and go back in a few weeks to adjust accordingly.

grandview (2006)
08-01-2009, 09:09 PM
I'm with the others ,why do you need to staple the sod down?

4 seasons lawn&land
08-01-2009, 10:11 PM
you dont.........

lawncuttinfoo
08-02-2009, 11:10 AM
The suction of a commercial mower deck pulls up sod that has not yet rooted. If the sod is cut to a smaller size than the original roll, it is not heavy enough to withstand the suction. (usually uncut sod too) I can not count how many 6"x6" pieces of sod are just thrown down, even a residential mower will eat these up.

Additionally the increased ratio of border to inside sq inches means a lot more water loss (=shrinkage).
Don't even get me started on how no one actually butts the sod up together properly either. Then not stapling compounds this problem.
90% of installs I run across, the customer is asking me if moles are causing these straight lines in her lawn exactly 2 feet apart.
I have actually lost customers because when I say it's because of improper installation, they figure a sod installer must know more than a lawn mower so it must be my fault. :laugh:

LushGreenLawn
08-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Sod less than two weeks old should not be mowed with anything but a push mower, period. If after two weeks if it has not rooted enough to not pull up there is a problem. Staples are not required if the sod is on a slope.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardmanlee
08-02-2009, 12:43 PM
we wait sometimes 3 weeks before mowing and check to make sure its rooted, never had a problem w/ sucking up sod. what is the height of you deck?

LB1234
08-02-2009, 01:03 PM
The suction of a commercial mower deck pulls up sod that has not yet rooted. If the sod is cut to a smaller size than the original roll, it is not heavy enough to withstand the suction. (usually uncut sod too) I can not count how many 6"x6" pieces of sod are just thrown down, even a residential mower will eat these up.

Additionally the increased ratio of border to inside sq inches means a lot more water loss (=shrinkage).
Don't even get me started on how no one actually butts the sod up together properly either. Then not stapling compounds this problem.
90% of installs I run across, the customer is asking me if moles are causing these straight lines in her lawn exactly 2 feet apart.
I have actually lost customers because when I say it's because of improper installation, they figure a sod installer must know more than a lawn mower so it must be my fault. :laugh:

I dunno its very simple to me. If there was sod installed I get my lazy arse off the mower and walk around on the sod and pull up on it...if it pulls up...its not rooted...I don't mow. Then I don't have to worry about sucking it up or whatever else you are complaining about.

I dunno, but have you thought about raising your mower decks to help avoid scalping and "sucking up" the sod? You know the old saying...cut high cut often.

wait a minute...just thought of something else...try speaking with your customer. If you normal service the account on say wednesday in the am have them (or if you aren't that lazy) adjust the sprinkler accordingly so its somewhat dry beforeyou service the lawn. Simple communication goes a long way, you should try it.

lawncuttinfoo
08-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Cut at 3".

Pulled on sod each of the last 3 weeks, which means its been down for 3.5 weeks, still loose.

Slivers of sod get sucked up at 3" even when rooted.

LushGreenLawn
08-03-2009, 06:30 AM
Cut at 3".

Pulled on sod each of the last 3 weeks, which means its been down for 3.5 weeks, still loose.

Slivers of sod get sucked up at 3" even when rooted.

It takes a lot of force to pull up even a sliver of sod that has rooted, I don't think any mower would create enough vacuum to do that.

Its odd that you have three week old sod that has not rooted. If it has not rooted, its not growing, and after three weeks should either be dead or at least very close to dead.

NMS0219
08-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Never had a problem with it, But than again i wait till its got lots of roots

lawncuttinfoo
08-03-2009, 11:14 PM
It takes a lot of force to pull up even a sliver of sod that has rooted, I don't think any mower would create enough vacuum to do that.

Its odd that you have three week old sod that has not rooted. If it has not rooted, its not growing, and after three weeks should either be dead or at least very close to dead.

I would not say that, it is dark green and 6-8" tall. and not rooted.

yardmanlee
08-04-2009, 06:29 AM
I would not say that, it is dark green and 6-8" tall. and not rooted.

if its not rooted how could it grow 6 to 8" ?

Smallaxe
08-04-2009, 07:33 AM

Overfertilized and over watered. I have seen sod get awfully long b4 it finally rooted. 6 -8 inches isn't that difficult to do with a big shot of N and enough juice to use it up.

lawncuttinfoo
08-12-2009, 11:24 PM

Twice a day watering for 3 weeks gets you this.
As suggested by the city's installer not to mention a suggestion to not mow for 6 weeks. Guess what everyone on the block mowed after 2 weeks, customer told me follow the cities instructions, now we have scapled sod.

Smallaxe
08-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Twice a day watering for 3 weeks gets you this.
As suggested by the city's installer not to mention a suggestion to not mow for 6 weeks. Guess what everyone on the block mowed after 2 weeks, customer told me follow the cities instructions, now we have scapled sod.

:laugh: I love the know-it-all professionals... :laugh:

andyslawncare
08-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Why are you mowing sod that isn't rooted yet? And why did the homeowner not hire you to do the sod??? Maybe you should boost your communication with them so they know what services you offer and most times they will be more loyal to you assuming they know what you are capable of doing-that is, if you are knowledgeable enough in the field.

You shouldn't need staples unless its a steep hill

lawncuttinfoo
08-23-2009, 10:36 PM
I mowed the sod because it was already 8"+ I could not wait any longer.

The city hired out to completly put in a new street. This company just drove down the street throwing sod after the street work was done and called it good. The guy who waters also just drives down the street and uses a joystick to water from his drivers seat hoping hes hitting the sod and with the right amount of water.