PDA

View Full Version : Touching the lawn for the first time

justrelaxing
04-19-2002, 12:09 PM
I planted last year. The grass seemed to come up well. Lot of the grass is long and brown yet. Few area are starting to green. I have heard it is ok to dethatch the yard with a mower and a dethatching blade. Is it ok to use Scotts halt and crabgrass seed later the same day and then use fertilizeer in 2 weeks when I turn on my underground sprinklers? Basically I am looking for any advice on a 1 year old lawn.

Catcher
04-23-2002, 07:27 AM
With the lawn being new you shouldn't have to de-thatch it already (?)

justrelaxing
04-23-2002, 12:36 PM
The reason is gettign a blade so I dont have to rake and lift the dead grass from the winter. So your saying its better to spend the hours raking then using a thatching blade on my lawn mower?

Catcher
04-24-2002, 07:48 AM
I'm no expert, I can only share what I have learned from this site, the local retailers and my personal experience.
If your lawn is only 1 year old there should be no need for de-thatching. The way it was explained to me is that it takes several years for thatch to build up, you will know when this is the cause of your problem. For a new lawn, I would probably just run an aerator (corestyle) over it if you want to work on it. This will loosen the soil and let water and nutrients reach the roots easier which in turn should encourage strong root-growth and make for a healthier, 'drought-resistant' lawn.
As far as the dead grass is concerned, I don't know how big of an area is affected, but I would assume that a few mowings will take care of what is now brown.
If large sections of your new lawn have died off, you may have to re-seed; in this case fertilizing it would not be a good idea. Otherwise there is nothing wrong with fertilizing an established lawn, you can check with your supplier to verify this.
If you never had a soiltest done I would recommend doing that first, otherwise you may end up throwing tons of fertilizer on it and not getting good results because your soil is missing something else.
Good luck.

lawnstudent
04-26-2002, 09:09 AM
A lot of people see the dead, white grass blades in their lawns in spring and immediately think they have thatch and must power rake! Thatch is not dead grass blades. Thatch is a fiberous build-up of dead stems and rhizomes. It produces a thick layer on the soil surface that looks just like a coco-mat. Aeration is a good choice to control thatch if that mat is no more than 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick. More thatch may require other means to control. Power raking/dethatching rips grass out by the roots. It opens the turf up for seed germination (weed seeds if you don't overseed). It is best to power rake in late summer/early fall and overseed at the same time.

jim

If the grass is greener on the other side of the fence then just move the darn fence.

stslawncare
04-26-2002, 10:07 AM
couldnt the grass just be dorment?