PDA

View Full Version : U-haul trucks!!!!!!!!!!

johnnybravo8802
07-30-2009, 07:54 AM
I know this site has touched on this topic but has anyone bought a former U-haul truck and had good service out of it? THere is an article saying they want to get rid of their old stock before 2010 and, of course, we all know about the economy. I test drove one a couple of weeks ago-14', 460 v8, auto. It drove ok but had an exhaust leak and the tranny was shifty. The price was $2995 and I offered $500 just to be "stupid". Of course, the sales manager was insulted and said "I was out of my mind"-I know!!!!:laugh::laugh:However, I saw an Isuzu with a 15' box, diesel, and 67,000 miles for only $5995. To me, the whole purpose is to spend as little as possible anticipating some repairs-I was thinking of $1500, $1500 dovetail-$3000-$3500 total invested. What are some opinions?

DOLMARatOS
07-30-2009, 10:07 AM
U-Haul trucks are pretty well maintained in our area. I know an LCO that picked up an e-350 14' body 7.3L IDI diesel w/ 150K for $1500.00. Few dings here and there but ok.

He had custom ramps built and runs half his opperation from this truck. Excellent idea in my mind. Great fuel economy and no trailer to hassle with. I kick myself in the nutz for not keeping my 1994 Mitsu Fuso 14' Van body. Truck had 139K ran like a top. Had an underbody lift but ramps would have been the way to go. Would have been the perfect rig for residential because it could fit anywhere. Awesome fuel mileage and good power if you weren't driving on the interstate.

nosparkplugs
07-30-2009, 11:24 AM
The U-haul trucks around here being used buy LCO still are sporting the full U-haul paint scheme, It looks tacky U-haul is now cutting grass. I would at least repaint the darn thing, but buy the time your done paint the truck it's not a deal anymore.

DOLMARatOS
07-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Painting the trucks is expensive unless it's done by the owner. Would be surprised how well a vehicle can be painted for cheap.

Even a few rattle cans can make it look better. Still tacky, but better.

johnnybravo8802
07-30-2009, 04:44 PM
The U-haul trucks around here being used buy LCO still are sporting the full U-haul paint scheme, It looks tacky U-haul is now cutting grass. I would at least repaint the darn thing, but buy the time your done paint the truck it's not a deal anymore.
U-haul is now painting their boxes white to cover up the logo. The only thing on these trucks is an orange stripe running down the cab. I would probably let Maaco paint the cab or maybe just the stripe-shouldn't be that expensive. I had a new Isuzu box truck in 01' so I know how nice a box truck is. However, I paid $33,000 for it and don't wan to go that route again, especially with a worker driving it.

larryinalabama
07-30-2009, 04:50 PM
I lucked up eariler in the year. I found a 18' 2000model Chevrolet box with DOVETAIL and trimmer racks inside, 96000 miles for 6000$. If you buy a Uhaul for 3500 a dovetail will run another 1500. Step up and look for a later model, you will be supried what a good box truck can be had for 10000$.

It did take 6 months of steady looking, and I had to drive 3 hours to look at the truck.

A box truck is really sweet to work out of.

topsites
07-30-2009, 09:00 PM
It did take 6 months of steady looking, and I had to drive 3 hours to look at the truck.

Yeah but that's the way to do it, when it's a serious decision, it involves a lot of
money, it should be taken seriously.

howierd3866
07-30-2009, 09:25 PM
I lucked up eariler in the year. I found a 18' 2000model Chevrolet box with DOVETAIL and trimmer racks inside, 96000 miles for 6000$. If you buy a Uhaul for 3500 a dovetail will run another 1500. Step up and look for a later model, you will be supried what a good box truck can be had for 10000$.

A box truck is really sweet to work out of.

I'm looking to add 3 crews and been thinking about this type of box truck. Is it harder to get insurance on this truck.Ran it by my agent and she said yes but not sure.Also I went over 12 hours away to demo a machine and then drove 6 more to buy one.Thanks

Gravel Rat
07-30-2009, 09:51 PM
The only problem I see is these trucks are set up as moving vans. Not sure if the rear suspension in these trucks have been modified to ride smoother but you don`t have the payload.

Most U haul trucks are custom ordered. Have you noticed with the ones built on the E series chassis have corner windows.

I don`t know if I would buy used U haul they are driven hard and well abused.

I have seen them here so heavy the brakes are on fire from the hills here :laugh:

STIHL GUY
07-31-2009, 12:22 AM
the u haul trucks here seem to be beat up pretty bad

Gravel Rat
07-31-2009, 12:40 AM
Here in B.C. we have Budget truck rentals and they sell cube vans etc but their trucks they sell are in good shape. The ones from U-haul are well used and abused.

What do you expect you get a person that has only driven a smart car gets behind the wheel of a small cube truck like a E-350 with a full load the brakes are over heated the truck is driven rough.

Ryder truck rentals also sells used trucks.

Right now the truck market is slow trucks are selling for dime a dozen.

johnnybravo8802
07-31-2009, 06:36 AM
Here in B.C. we have Budget truck rentals and they sell cube vans etc but their trucks they sell are in good shape. The ones from U-haul are well used and abused.

What do you expect you get a person that has only driven a smart car gets behind the wheel of a small cube truck like a E-350 with a full load the brakes are over heated the truck is driven rough.

Ryder truck rentals also sells used trucks.

Right now the truck market is slow trucks are selling for dime a dozen.
THe truck I looked at was a clean truck but obviously well used being a 96'. The box was in good shape and that's a key factor-I like the fact that it is aluminum with fiberglass versus wood and thin metal. But, if I can get one for $1500 versus $33,000, I have to expect to do some repairs along the way. Yea, the salesman seemed to have an attitude when I offered less but, like you said, it's a tight economy. U-haul does claim to maintain their trucks well also.

lyube
08-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Get a vehicle with a wood/fiberglass box, not an alluminum one.

Fiberglass won't rip and tear as easily as alluminum when whacked on by mowers..the front fork of a toro ZTR will easily put hefty gash in an alluminum box but it takes some serious force to do that to a fiberglass box.

nosparkplugs
08-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Magic Mushroom Lawn Care. :)

larryinalabama
08-02-2009, 07:21 AM
I'm looking to add 3 crews and been thinking about this type of box truck. Is it harder to get insurance on this truck.Ran it by my agent and she said yes but not sure.Also I went over 12 hours away to demo a machine and then drove 6 more to buy one.Thanks

Insurance in Alabama is no problem. Its only slightly higher than my pickup and it is stated to be used commericaly, I am th only driver on the policy.

Mow Mony
12-18-2009, 02:28 AM
Magic Mushroom Lawn Care. :)

searching for something else, but that pic gave me a good laugh. thanks

MarcSmith
12-18-2009, 06:19 AM
also keep in mind that many uhauls have lower decks inside with wheel wells which takes away from floor space...

Personally I would stick the the Asian cab over trucks. quality, and even simple things like turning radius in tight neighborhoods...for the same price....

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
12-18-2009, 12:58 PM
my dad has a former Uhaul truck then they used it as a sears delivery truck, its got 197k on it and still runs good, its an E350 with a 5.4 triton....small exhaust leak is the only thing wrong with it......best brakes ive ever seen in a truck like that.

FANS
12-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Ford trucks had a 330 cid industrial motor in them I believe and the wheels were a slightly different bolt pattern. Been awhile since I've been in that business so I'm not sure they still do those things.

I drove one the other day and it was okay. I think it would have been better with a load in it, but less than 200 miles and I put in over 20 gallons of gas. I'm sure it wasn't full full when I got it but that isn't great mileage.

Ryder was mentioned earlier, and Penske has their trucks for sale. You might want to go to a LEASE dealer that's selling trucks that have come off lease from a business. They may have more miles, but generally are driven by few different drivers - so they may have had better continual care. Probably will cost a bit more but it will be newer with less issue on getting after market parts.

That and $0.69 will get you a small coffee at McD's.

johnnybravo8802
12-18-2009, 08:04 PM
I'll tell what I've learned about the U-haul trucks, most are a pile of junk!!!!I have looked at two that advertised as running-one wasn't running and the other had had the box removed and wasn't running. I wasn't very happy. I offered the regional manager $500 for a different one down the road and he was less than nice about it!!! I basically gave up and am looking for a newer and nicer truck that is true to advertisement.

Tyler's Lawn Maintenance
12-18-2009, 08:17 PM
A guy in Greenville uses one of the early 90's Toyota 10-12 ft box truck and it hasn't given him any problems.
Posted via Mobile Device

rcallese
12-22-2009, 07:28 AM
Just looked up some local dealers who have used U-Haul trucks for sale. The box is painted white. 14' for $2,500. Interesting idea for a frugal guy like me. Thanks

johnnybravo8802
12-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Just looked up some local dealers who have used U-Haul trucks for sale. The box is painted white. 14' for $2,500. Interesting idea for a frugal guy like me. Thanks
You better go look at it and drive it. For that price, you'll probably get there and only find two wheels and a windshield. That's the way it's been working for me.

MikeKle
12-24-2009, 06:39 PM
Ive heard from a few people that bought Uhaul trucks and they seem to be pretty good trucks, one was a ford f350 with box, another was the 17ft e350 van. The boxes on some of the Uhaul trucks have huge wheel well humps and getting a mower with a 48" or wider deck would be a problem, unless you built a false floor, but that takes away from the floor to ceiling height. Uhaul does also sell it as a cab and chassis without the box, these can be had usually for under $1500. around here. It would also be pretty cheap to get that orange stripe painted white at any auto body shop, maybe even a tech school would do it for just the paint cost or maybe even free? I looked at the Ryder trucks and they want way too much for their Isuzu trucks..they had a 2001 NPR with 16ft box and 165,000 miles and they were asking $15K!! I do not know if any Uhaul location uses the Isuzu truck, but I think some do. It would be nice to work out of a box truck like these.

Kut Kreator
12-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Aarons rentals sells used trucks, they are located up in Jackson County (Dawsonville) contact me will give you more info.

MikeKle
12-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Around here, Aarons uses Isuzu NPRs with I believe 12ft boxes, or 14ft, I know they are not 16ft though. I would be interested in finding out more on these trucks.

J&R Landscaping
12-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Around me, most of the U-haul trucks for sale are JUNK. Most of the trucks they rent while U-Haul owns them are junk too. If your looking for a smaller 1 ton box truck, I would go to either Penske or Ryder. Might pay a bit more and have to put up with a gas engine over the diesel but the truck overall is better maintained.

The engines on most of the used U-haul trucks all seem to be in need of new Injectors, glow plugs and possibly an injection pumps. Now, if you buy one and get lucky, the rest of the engine should last for another 75k or so somewhat trouble free. The rest of the truck though seems to be rough and in need of repairs. Brake systems especially seem to be over loaded and weak as the steering seems to be excessively sloppy.
Just my $.02

Mile_high
12-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Where are you guys finding listings for these? Are they all just retired fleet?

Tyler's Lawn Maintenance
12-28-2009, 08:28 PM
We are selling a 1996 Mitsubishi Fuso with a 14ft box for $4000 if anyone is interested.

clinicalengineer
01-29-2010, 02:40 PM
Uhauls are just as bad as rental cars http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f56fY1OaFI

I wonder why the tranny is slipping and the brakes suck

rcslawncare
01-31-2010, 06:52 PM
Thats great!!!

Hawg City Lawns
01-31-2010, 08:53 PM
well if uhaul maintains their trucks like they do their trailers id never ever think about buying one i pulled a uhaul trailer from here to tulsa and back (about 190 miles) last saturday and about cried because it pulled that bad

clinicalengineer
01-31-2010, 09:35 PM
The best part is that's the employees beating on the vehicles IN THE UHAUL LOT!!! Its not even like it was some kid screwing around!!!

T-Made
01-31-2010, 09:58 PM
Aarons trucks are located in Commerce- Jackson County. They have about 30 on the lot. They have Isuzus from 45k miles to 150k miles. Great selection ask for Wanda.